Man dies after being run over by tour bus in Geylang

Yenyenpark

http://ride.asiaone.com/news/general/story...our-bus-geylang

AsiaOne | Thursday, Jun 6, 2013

SINGAPORE - A tour bus driver was arrested for running over a pedestrian in Geylang on Wednesday morning in a horrific 'double' accident.

According to Chinese evening daily, Shin Min Daily News, the driver did not realise he had run over the man.

It was also reported that the front and back wheels of his bus had run over the victim. The driver had also reversed over the man, but was unaware until a cleaner from a nearby condominium alerted him to stop.

↡ Advertisement

U can see the way Geylang now. All the PRC tourist will stay on the cheap hotel and many big tour coach will go in there to pick them up. So with the volume of people walking around geylang recklessly. This accident sure to happen.

Not surprised. Its a very messy place, somewhat similar to Serangoon Road. Always see people randomly jay walking, etc. Even worse for the lorongs with such small spaces available.

(edited)

SINGAPORE - A tour bus driver was arrested for running over a pedestrian in Geylang on Wednesday morning in a horrific 'double' accident.

According to Chinese evening daily, Shin Min Daily News, the driver did not realise he had run over the man.

It was also reported that the front and back wheels of his bus had run over the victim. The driver had also reversed over the man, but was unaware until a cleaner from a nearby condominium alerted him to stop.

I thought a better word to use should be detained. It is as if the driver committed a crime and thus arrested. Anyone can advise? I'm learning

Edited by Rayleigh

my uncle's haiwanese wife relatives were booked to stay in one of geylang hotels by their tour operator.

they came here by package and didn't know geylang is red light district until she told them. lol

Actually geylang quite a well known area..

i ask my PRC friend...he say he already know of Geylang big name before coming here..he was given the impression that it is a red light district & lawless area...

(edited)

How could the bus driver not felt it, running over the man??

Wasn't there a video of this car in China who drove over an old lady and then reversed and rolled over her the second time.

Edited by Azhiwen

Not to discriminate but alot of elderly have bad reflex when driving, they don't check enough or they check after they commit and action when changing lanes or turning.

Hypersonic

my uncle's haiwanese wife relatives were booked to stay in one of geylang hotels by their tour operator.

they came here by package and didn't know geylang is red light district until she told them. lol

You need to understand how much this China tour package cost. A lot of the package are around 10days which include Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. And the package cost less than RMB4000 when they book in China for non-peak season. Geylang is the only place in Singapore where hotel price match their package. I know this because my wife work in tour business related to China tour group.

Twincharged

That is why, always keep clear of heavy vehicles reversing, driver will not be able to see what is behind that appear suddenly.

(edited)

I thought a better word to use should be detained. It is as if the driver committed a crime and thus arrested. Anyone can advise? I'm learning

Any road accident involving a life or more, the driver responsible will be hand-cuffed on the spot and go police station. It's an arrest.

Even if the victim did not die immediately on the spot, maybe die later at home or die in hospital, police will immediately go to the house of the driver and arrest him/her.

As long as there's a life involved it gets complicated.

Edited by Watwheels

Twincharged
(edited)

I think possible scenario will be the man is standing just behind bus waiting for opportunity to cross the road. Driver wanted to reverse for whatever reasons. As he is just right behind the bus, how is the bus driver going to notice it? Even with rear camera, the viewing angle also not covered when it is too close to the bus rear especially when human is just so small as compared to bus width. So driver reverse not knowing he already hit onto someone ( always as reference to driver driving bus is totally different from driving car ) as big bus will not feel anything, unless it hit something big and solid. As reference to driving car, if reverse and hit onto human, straight away driver will know as car is so much smaller than bus, any hit onto car will have more impact as compared to bus.

So who to blame? It is difficult to say bus driver is not at fault, and it's a good reminder to be always mindful of heavy vehicle blindspot whenever getting near to it, be it driving, crossing road, cycling, or etc.

Edited by Yewheng

Sometime..a lot of people simply take for granted that a reversing vehicle can spOT them walking behind....happened to me so many times....when tried to reverse.. the joker will still walk across thinking driver sure can spot them...

Twincharged
(edited)

Sometime..a lot of people simply take for granted that a reversing vehicle can spOT them walking behind....happened to me so many times....when tried to reverse.. the joker will still walk across thinking driver sure can spot them...

Even if bus is not reversing and want to move off, bus front also has it's blindspot ( although the area is quite small ). So don't always assume crossing right in front of the bus is safe if bus is going to move off as if a person just happened to stand in that small blindspot, chances of bus hitting the person will be magnified. So ya, understand any type of vehicle blindspot aNd stay clear as much as possible from the blindspot.

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement