New Skoda Octavia RS 2014 Model Unleashed!

Lightspeed

Sad to say, I've not tried Tan Chong so far. Unless they revamp their line-up, its quite hard to see how I would be getting a Nissan in the near future. The closest I got to is the R35 Skyline Saloon (when i was looking at the Octavia RS) but even that is a PI model.

The GTR is too pricey and the 370Z just falls short.

I gave upn on their workshop @ Toa Payoh especially!

I passed by Leng Kee yesterday. I'm surprised that Harvest Automobile still occupies a large showroom displaying Skoda and HSV.

Thought they are down-sizing?

if not conpetitive price, rather go for VW, same technology why not directly to Germany instead of his subsidiary Czech,

honestly speaking, even VW just is so so, don't think his subsidiary can be better than VW [shakehead]

this is why Skoda no market

if not conpetitive price, rather go for VW, same technology why not directly to Germany instead of his subsidiary Czech,
honestly speaking, even VW just is so so, don't think his subsidiary can be better than VW [shakehead]

You would be surprised by the build quality of a Skoda.. Technology-wised, it's pretty much a VW. Price-wise, well.. It was competitive a few years back from what I know.. An Octy VRS is about 30-40k less than a GTI a few year ago (almost similar spec).

Unfortunately, I doubt they are selling cars now. Although there's a showroom, there's no SE at all. Only service staffs.

In a market environment like Singapore, it is difficult for likes of "budget" contis to survive. There's no such thing as a "budget car" in Singapore. The branding of Skoda is also not well advertised here. I have many friends who never even heard of the brand before. Nobody knew it was one of the best selling and highly rated brands in the UK and some euro countries.

Too bad you can only "see see" in the showroom now. I doubt they allow test drive since they seems to have no intention of selling to consumers any more. Well, you can still go take a look before they disappear from the face of Singapore!

P.S. Porsche, Audi, Bugatti, among quite a few other brands are subsidiary of VW as well. Not classifying Skoda with those, but can't say all subsidiaries are no better than it's parent.

• Praise 3

You would be surprised by the build quality of a Skoda.. Technology-wised, it's pretty much a VW. Price-wise, well.. It was competitive a few years back from what I know.. An Octy VRS is about 30-40k less than a GTI a few year ago (almost similar spec).

Unfortunately, I doubt they are selling cars now. Although there's a showroom, there's no SE at all. Only service staffs.

In a market environment like Singapore, it is difficult for likes of "budget" contis to survive. There's no such thing as a "budget car" in Singapore. The branding of Skoda is also not well advertised here. I have many friends who never even heard of the brand before. Nobody knew it was one of the best selling and highly rated brands in the UK and some euro countries.

Too bad you can only "see see" in the showroom now. I doubt they allow test drive since they seems to have no intention of selling to consumers any more. Well, you can still go take a look before they disappear from the face of Singapore!

P.S. Porsche, Audi, Bugatti, among quite a few other brands are subsidiary of VW as well. Not classifying Skoda with those, but can't say all subsidiaries are no better than it's parent.

in theoretically, you are right and I agree with you, but in realistically it doesn't work in Singapore,

Singapore is a car owner unfriendly country, leave cruzy coe aside, car retain/maintain/running cost all very high, and rare honest workshop in market, so nobody wants to take risk to buy rare brand cars like Skoda, for after market service reason, they rather go for Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Merc, BMW, VW, Audi, or Kor brands etc

• Praise 1

Skoda has performed better in most reviews and survey than VW consistently over the years in Europe. And most of that are achieved before even taking the lower pricing into consideration. A quick google on JD Power reliability and satisfaction survey will give you an idea how far a head Skoda is.

The main issue with Skoda (and other "lower" priced marques) in Singapore is the addition of COE as a fixed cost to all cars within the category. While a 10k difference is substantial savings overseas where cars are $30k, the same 10k difference is much smaller proportionally in Singapore where the price range is around $150k for such cars in Singapore. Hence, the ability to attract a good dealer is compromised resulting in a weak dealership that puts the brand in a vicious cycle of under performing in the market.

Spare parts wise, in today's age of ebay and taobao, it is no major problem sourcing as long as the car is abundance somewhere in the world. My workshop in AMK Techpark got me a rear light cover in 72 hours when I somehow managed to reverse into a stationery truck.

Having owned a Beemer, Honda and Toyota in the recent years, the Skoda is as reliable as the rest of them (even more than the Beemer, in particular). And the satisfaction when the EA888 CCZA kicks in leaving TSIs in the wake on an empty NSHW every time. Priceless.

• Praise 1

And the satisfaction when the EA888 CCZA kicks in leaving TSIs in the wake on an empty NSHW every time. Priceless.

When you wanna race to KL? As usual I will give you 2 hours headstart for a smoke and meal plus toilet break [laugh]

When you wanna race to KL? As usual I will give you 2 hours headstart for a smoke and meal plus toilet break [laugh]

Sure...u will have do to sub 1 hour. Wats the deal? :)

Skoda has performed better in most reviews and survey than VW consistently over the years in Europe. And most of that are achieved before even taking the lower pricing into consideration. A quick google on JD Power reliability and satisfaction survey will give you an idea how far a head Skoda is.

The main issue with Skoda (and other "lower" priced marques) in Singapore is the addition of COE as a fixed cost to all cars within the category. While a 10k difference is substantial savings overseas where cars are $30k, the same 10k difference is much smaller proportionally in Singapore where the price range is around $150k for such cars in Singapore. Hence, the ability to attract a good dealer is compromised resulting in a weak dealership that puts the brand in a vicious cycle of under performing in the market.

Spare parts wise, in today's age of ebay and taobao, it is no major problem sourcing as long as the car is abundance somewhere in the world. My workshop in AMK Techpark got me a rear light cover in 72 hours when I somehow managed to reverse into a stationery truck.

Having owned a Beemer, Honda and Toyota in the recent years, the Skoda is as reliable as the rest of them (even more than the Beemer, in particular). And the satisfaction when the EA888 CCZA kicks in leaving TSIs in the wake on an empty NSHW every time. Priceless.

The looks cannot make it though... I'm superficial like that... [:p]

The looks cannot make it though... I'm superficial like that... [:p]

i think the new Octavia looks quite good leh. I like its minimalist lines.

That's the kind of philosophy I guess many Skoda owners will have - car is good, you know it can already. No need to tell everyone in the world. In Chinese, it's 韬光养晦 - escape from the light and nurture in the dark.

Too bad we won't see the Octavia in Singapore anytime soon. Don't know if they'll even find a dealer. If a good player like C&C take it up, can really fight VW any day. I've faith in them since they restored the dying Kia and Citroen brands in Singapore.

left 2 more year and my compressor kaput!

now WS say one of the fan not working..sianz....

let hope I can get it tom!

wow haha

left 2 more year and my compressor kaput!

now WS say one of the fan not working..sianz....

let hope I can get it tom!

wow haha

So how? Got any quotes so far for the air con compressor?

↡ Advertisement