How much is too much power for street?

Strudel-

How much is too much power for street?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. How much is too much power for street?

• < 100whp
    • 100whp to 199whp
    • 200whp to 299whp
    • 300whp to 399whp
    • 400whp to 499whp
    • 500whp to 600whp
    • > 600whp

(edited)

This question was asked on a forum I frequent but I'm interest in knowing whats the opinion of Singaporean driver/car owners.

I purposely posted the poll in whp because what matters is what the car can put to the ground not at the engine. My opinion is anything more than 500whp is too much and really no point. So how much power is too much for street in your opinion?

Edited by Strudel-
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

In my opinion, I see no purpose in this poll...power without control is nothing....as long the driver can control it with absolute confidence and have a sense of social responsibility by not creating a hazard situation on the road.....one can even drive a bat mobile....is about the driver... not the car...

Edited by LoverofCar
  • Praise 1

In my opinion, I see no purpose in this poll...power without control is nothing....as long the driver can control it with absolute confidence and have a sense of social responsibility by not creating a hazard situation on the road.....one can even drive a bat mobile....is about the driver... not the car...

The purpose is to know whats does everyone else think. As I said ON the street. Yes if you're rich you can buy a Zonda for all I care but if you dont think theres a limit for street, just vote >600 or dont even bother voting?

However I do agree in ever aspect of the driver being in control of the car. That said I personally think its pointless to have something that powerful on the street. Dedicated track car on the other hand is another story.

• Praise 1

150-200whp/tonne is a sweet spot for me as a daily drive. Anything above 250whp/t really has little chance to even touch full throttle.

Avg income more than 10k per mth, at least 250hp than enough.

More than 100k per mth, at least 500hp than enough.

Abg joe, less than 2k wll say 100hp will do.

Nvr ending la. hw to compare?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Depends on which part of the rev range the power and torque is made. Big torque at low rpm makes for the most relaxing drive on our roads.

It's not really a big deal when you consider all the people out day riding 1000cc and above sportbikes on a daily basis, and those things outperform almost anything below the hyper exotics. The average modern 1000cc sportbike is putting out around 160 whp in a package that weighs around 200kg. That's around 800 whp/ton, excluding rider. If those people can do it on a daily basis, what's a 500whp car?

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

This question is a little simplistic. On the one hand, one can never have too much "power", even in a street car, since "power" can get you out of bad situations quickly. There are many situations when accelerating out of danger is more effective than braking and praying.

On the other, of course, less than 30% of the power output of a higher HP car is actually going to be used 95% of the time on Sg roads. From that perspective, it's a "waste" unless the car is driven illegally (which everyone frowns on) or tracked (which only the next prospective owner might frown on, if he found out).

Notice that I put "power" in quotes in the first para. This is because I actually intended that to signify what the common driver thinks of as power, but is in fact a combo of different things, chief among which is low end torque. Low-mid range torque is actually far more important than just a horsepower figure. The latter just gives you bragging rights, but the former actually helps you accelerate out of harm's way, especially at legal speeds.

I've known plenty of highly modified cars with aftermarket big turbos putting out very high whp dyno figures that are a total drag to drive on the streets, simply because the car moves at a funereal pace all the way up to around 5000 revs. A car like this is definitely not useful on the street - it simply won't get you out of a pinch at street speeds. So it's really low-mid range torque that matters more.

And other factors matter too. Weight is just as important as torque (and power) - in fact, one should always be talking about power/weight and torque/weight ratios. In fact, given equal power (or torque)/weight ratios, I'd rather take the lighter car (even if it has lower power/torque figures) because it's going to be just as quick in a straight *and* handle much better. Light, nimble cars are the way to go.

And of course, braking is important too, for obvious reasons. And the quickness of the steering.

Short answer: I don't think this poll is asking the right question. But if I had to answer, I'd say the more power the better, as long as it's coupled with added torque in the usable rev range. That's a rare thing, actually.

Edited by Turboflat4

Twincharged

Too much torque and no good tyres also no use, as the no matter how hard accelerator is press it will still not move off as quick as one thought suppose to be when comes to situations where one need to quickly accelerate out of danger ( if there is.. really a need ).

Even F1 cars with slick tyres aalso can get wheelspin when accelerating from complete standstill, so normal cars even no need to say if given same amount of torque to the car.

This question is a little simplistic. On the one hand, one can never have too much "power", even in a street car, since "power" can get you out of bad situations quickly. There are many situations when accelerating out of danger is more effective than braking and praying.

On the other, of course, less than 30% of the power output of a higher HP car is actually going to be used 95% of the time on Sg roads. From that perspective, it's a "waste" unless the car is driven illegally (which everyone frowns on) or tracked (which only the next prospective owner might frown on, if he found out).

Notice that I put "power" in quotes in the first para. This is because I actually intended that to signify what the common driver thinks of as power, but is in fact a combo of different things, chief among which is low end torque. Low-mid range torque is actually far more important than just a horsepower figure. The latter just gives you bragging rights, but the former actually helps you accelerate out of harm's way, especially at legal speeds.

I've known plenty of highly modified cars with aftermarket big turbos putting out very high whp dyno figures that are a total drag to drive on the streets, simply because the car moves at a funereal pace all the way up to around 5000 revs. A car like this is definitely not useful on the street - it simply won't get you out of a pinch at street speeds. So it's really low-mid range torque that matters more.

And other factors matter too. Weight is just as important as torque (and power) - in fact, one should always be talking about power/weight and torque/weight ratios. In fact, given equal power (or torque)/weight ratios, I'd rather take the lighter car (even if it has lower power/torque figures) because it's going to be just as quick in a straight *and* handle much better. Light, nimble cars are the way to go.

And of course, braking is important too, for obvious reasons. And the quickness of the steering.

Short answer: I don't think this poll is asking the right question. But if I had to answer, I'd say the more power the better, as long as it's coupled with added torque in the usable rev range. That's a rare thing, actually.

[drivingcar][thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Agreed.. Horsepower is not the only indicator of a car's performance, but a lot of drivers still use it as a benchmark to compare between cars. Maybe manufacturers should come up with bhp/weight ratios instead of just bhp / torque.

(edited)

Its about power and got nothing to do with how much one's income it. What you think its silly to run on a street car or you car for that matter.

Depends on which part of the rev range the power and torque is made. Big torque at low rpm makes for the most relaxing drive on our roads.

It's not really a big deal when you consider all the people out day riding 1000cc and above sportbikes on a daily basis, and those things outperform almost anything below the hyper exotics. The average modern 1000cc sportbike is putting out around 160 whp in a package that weighs around 200kg. That's around 800 whp/ton, excluding rider. If those people can do it on a daily basis, what's a 500whp car?

Assuming stock or properly tuned.

This question is a little simplistic. On the one hand, one can never have too much "power", even in a street car, since "power" can get you out of bad situations quickly. There are many situations when accelerating out of danger is more effective than braking and praying. True to certain extend but I'm sure as hell theres bugger all difference between accelerating out of danger in a 300hp or 500hp car in most cases.

On the other, of course, less than 30% of the power output of a higher HP car is actually going to be used 95% of the time on Sg roads. From that perspective, it's a "waste" unless the car is driven illegally (which everyone frowns on) or tracked (which only the next prospective owner might frown on, if he found out). Very true for the first sentence which is why I've put in the lower HP in contrast to whats on the other forum. As the topic suggest, street. Over the limit of the too much is considered "waste". I do not agree full on tracked cars. Most track cars I know of are much well taken car of comparing to your day to day car. Of course in every herd theres a black sheep so I'm sure theres still "budget" track cars which are just waiting for their engine to piang.

Notice that I put "power" in quotes in the first para. This is because I actually intended that to signify what the common driver thinks of as power, but is in fact a combo of different things, chief among which is low end torque. Low-mid range torque is actually far more important than just a horsepower figure. The latter just gives you bragging rights, but the former actually helps you accelerate out of harm's way, especially at legal speeds. Couldnt agree more. Low and mid range is what street is all about and those high end dyno queens are really just for show unless its a purpose built drag car.

Short answer: I don't think this poll is asking the right question. But if I had to answer, I'd say the more power the better, as long as it's coupled with added torque in the usable rev range. That's a rare thing, actually. So even though the power is "wasted" also doesnt matter?

Too much torque and no good tyres also no use, as the no matter how hard accelerator is press it will still not move off as quick as one thought suppose to be when comes to situations where one need to quickly accelerate out of danger ( if there is.. really a need ).

Even F1 cars with slick tyres aalso can get wheelspin when accelerating from complete standstill, so normal cars even no need to say if given same amount of torque to the car.

Which is why a lot of illegal drags on street when RWD or FWD cars involved, they prefer rolling start.

[drivingcar][thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Agreed.. Horsepower is not the only indicator of a car's performance, but a lot of drivers still use it as a benchmark to compare between cars. Maybe manufacturers should come up with bhp/weight ratios instead of just bhp / torque.

Erm... I think manufacturers already list all those data? How hard is it to divide the figures yourself?

Come on people. Dont think so much to the question. Mon-Fri already work enough and stress enough, this question no need think so much into the details (how long is a string?). Just think what would be stupid on a street car.

Edited by Strudel-

1st Gear

For turbo cars if ur running wif big turbos wif massive turbo lag vs a stock turbo i rather choose the stock one for its responsiveness. Given ur car got 800whp but only starts to spool at 5k rpm oso no use. Those small turbos will be at the next light waiting for u already. Lol

Erm... I think manufacturers already list all those data? How hard is it to divide the figures yourself?

Laziness I guess, from accompanying my friends go car buying / sight seeing. A lot of time they will just say so and so car got more bhp than the other, which makes it better. Not everyone will know to calculate power / weight ratios, and it's hard to keep explaining to people. Got a friend say, if so important, why not listed? [dizzy]

(edited)

Strudel, you have been living down under for too long liao leh, few people use the term WHP in Singapore. [:p]

Anyway, useable power is more important than top power. High torque at low rpm is much nicer in my view. Anyway between 150-300bhp should be more than sufficient for Singapore road.

Beyond that, the power is underutilize or dangerous on public roads. Is 400 hp better than 300hp, of course, but the fun factor does not improve significantly.

For instant, at 200hp, you can corner at full power, at 300hp, corning at 89% power, 400hp, maybe 60%. Straight line, obviously higher power is better, but the highest G is always when accelerated around corners, & the speed feel of the car diminished after certain hp numbers, as you often find you cannot put the power down.

I have own & driven cars from 75 HP to 425 HP, & in my opinion, 300hp is good enough for Singapore context. I also think the road often is more important than the car itself.

The 75 hp Punto I used to drive in England is more enjoyable than the 425hp evo (I can extract more power from it, consider I have a 22g blower (Stock is 16g), but I felt that is good enough, & I prefer a smoother Torque ) I owned back in Singapore. If I have the evo back in England or similar places, then it will be amazing. But then the evo will be not so comfy crusing on motorway for long trips. So GT style cars in my view are better if youi are not track focus.

That's my view anyway, with my own experience of driving cars of different HP, & places.

Edited by Kiadaw

This has to agree with u

Control over power

For me Sg road 150-300 bhp is enuff till enuff

Cfm can ever outrun a no control driver with a 500 bhp car

Haha

U also correct hor

No $ where to find Hp

Haha

Practical point of view

↡ Advertisement