How to negotiate a blind spot

Subutai

I rather u change title to Junction discipline : lights dont really matter, defensive does

↡ Advertisement

For such cases, it is prudent to drive off together with the truck driver.

The Honda driver did beat the red line but frankly speaking, the even if there were a red line, i dun think he/she will be flashed as the person cross the line juz when it turn from orange to red.

Need to be careful when we are on the road coz there are always such drivers.

For better education thread title changed

Ts can think it is drama n all but clearly the onus is on the driver negotiating the bend

Drive safe all!

Peace!

Read till blurr blurr, tot a new thread but contents all the same

Hahaha blur for a second

Singaporean will become best drivers in the world Liao

Cos now many bros can anticipate traffic from all directions Liao

Tks to machee n taxi uncle n jap lady

At least lesson is being learn somewhere

"Singapore driving - doesn't mean green light, u will not die"

Thats why I keep telling my kids and wife that even pedestrian crossing.. please please look out for vehicles before you cross.. u never know one kuku driver one day in the rush.. forgot.. make sure the vehicles stop before you cross.

Also to cyclist (not all though).. please please do not dash across zebra crossing. sometimes you are hidden behind bushes and you are not at walking speed where we drivers cannot anticipate. U are just pure risking your life!! For what?

Today I was doing a right turn at junction of Bedok North Road / Bedok Reservoir Road towards PIE at around 810am.

Red lights and right turn signal was in my favour and a speeding honda edix (i think) in opposite direction zoomed past fast around 2 secs after red. I was slowly moving off as my view of the oncoming traffic was blocked by a turning big sand truck (on my left) and luckily i didn't rush.

I assume my car will be total loss and me + my pregnant wife dead if we had collided. You could have orphaned our little 3 year old gal. KNNBCCB.

If you are in this forum, I hope you DON'T REPEAT THIS STUNT AGAIN.

Anyway I got video... will review tonight and submit to TP (although i do not think that the license plate can be captured) BUT..... that junction got junction eye.

Drive safe guys and gals.

For me, i will use the vehicle on my left (the truck in your case) as the indicator. I will move together with the vehicle on my left. I will never move out on my own unless i can see the incoming traffic.

Neutral Newbie

I think many of us take it for granted and move off whenever the lights turn amber or red. I remember my driving instructor specifically told me to move off only when the green arrow comes on, which I always do since the muah-chee accident. Must remember there's this lag time when the lights turn red and when the green arrow comes on, some buffer time for air-holes like the one in the video.

Drive safe!

Neutral Newbie

Today I was doing a right turn at junction of Bedok North Road / Bedok Reservoir Road towards PIE at around 810am.

Red lights and right turn signal was in my favour and a speeding honda edix (i think) in opposite direction zoomed past fast around 2 secs after red. I was slowly moving off as my view of the oncoming traffic was blocked by a turning big sand truck (on my left) and luckily i didn't rush.

I assume my car will be total loss and me + my pregnant wife dead if we had collided. You could have orphaned our little 3 year old gal. KNNBCCB.

If you are in this forum, I hope you DON'T REPEAT THIS STUNT AGAIN.

Anyway I got video... will review tonight and submit to TP (although i do not think that the license plate can be captured) BUT..... that junction got junction eye.

Drive safe guys and gals.

Wah thank God you and your PREGNANT WIFE okay man...hope the TP manage to catch that farker. But getting back on point arh, you should always nego blind spots slowly and cautiously. Make sure ur more ready to jam brake than to accelerate.

Thats why I keep telling my kids and wife that even pedestrian crossing.. please please look out for vehicles before you cross.. u never know one kuku driver one day in the rush.. forgot.. make sure the vehicles stop before you cross.

Also to cyclist (not all though).. please please do not dash across zebra crossing. sometimes you are hidden behind bushes and you are not at walking speed where we drivers cannot anticipate. U are just pure risking your life!! For what?

That's wat I told my wife n son too but my wife belong to the sotong group

Haha

i remember during driving sch, one of the instructor taught a tip. when u r approaching straight at a junction, there are usually 3 arrows -> -> -> preceding the junction. when the first arrow appears in your sight, u should take your foot away from the accelerator to slow down via engine brake, to anticipate for possible light change. once your car wheels reached the first arrow, you should step on the accelerator again to hasten across the junction. even if the light do change when your car is within the 3 arrows area, you should not have problem accelerating across the junction safely (unless you are in a jam traveling at snail speed).

although i no longer do the "engine brake" part, but i still practice coming to a full stop if the light change to red before i hit the first arrow, and accelerate through the junction if i'm already within the 3 arrows area. this is not a universal rule, but each driver should have their own strict junction discipline about which point to stop for red light change, and which point you know you can safely accelerate through a changing amber light. there should be no ambiguity or "depending on gut feel".

i think the problem we see is that drivers typically do not have such strict road discipline and ambiguously stops/cross at a changing light junction - some jam brake too early causing all vehicles behind to go into panic mode, while others will chiong all red light as a matter of principle.

(edited)

I just have 3 points to make

a) stay well within the turning pocket

b) don't use the truck as a "shield"

c) give way to oncoming traffic, the car in the 2nd lane might suddenly decide to go straight

Edited by Kklee

i remember during driving sch, one of the instructor taught a tip. when u r approaching straight at a junction, there are usually 3 arrows -> -> -> preceding the junction. when the first arrow appears in your sight, u should take your foot away from the accelerator to slow down via engine brake, to anticipate for possible light change. once your car wheels reached the first arrow, you should step on the accelerator again to hasten across the junction. even if the light do change when your car is within the 3 arrows area, you should not have problem accelerating across the junction safely (unless you are in a jam traveling at snail speed).

although i no longer do the "engine brake" part, but i still practice coming to a full stop if the light change to red before i hit the first arrow, and accelerate through the junction if i'm already within the 3 arrows area. this is not a universal rule, but each driver should have their own strict junction discipline about which point to stop for red light change, and which point you know you can safely accelerate through a changing amber light. there should be no ambiguity or "depending on gut feel".

i think the problem we see is that drivers typically do not have such strict road discipline and ambiguously stops/cross at a changing light junction - some jam brake too early causing all vehicles behind to go into panic mode, while others will chiong all red light as a matter of principle.

yes...I was taught this also! Quite useful practice, will always ensure you cross the junction before light turn red. And safely. Except in Machi Ferrari situation.

yes...I was taught this also! Quite useful practice, will always ensure you cross the junction before light turn red. And safely. Except in Machi Ferrari situation.

School taught this to let go accelerator is cos learning speed is 50-60

Taxi uncle years ago taught me opposite

If u r cruising ard 70 n if oreadi within the 3 arrows no way u can't clear it before red

And it's true hahaha

U r not wrong bro, it's there r many types of pple n even drivers got fast n slow type

The tailgaters n huggers will forever be enemy

If there's no A there's no B

Twincharged

School taught this to let go accelerator is cos learning speed is 50-60

Taxi uncle years ago taught me opposite

If u r cruising ard 70 n if oreadi within the 3 arrows no way u can't clear it before red

And it's true hahaha

U r not wrong bro, it's there r many types of pple n even drivers got fast n slow type

The tailgaters n huggers will forever be enemy

If there's no A there's no B

50 is not the learning speed. Its the speed limit. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

I agree completely that TS is wrong.

Green arrow does not mean you can turn now.

It means turn safely, so you turn only when it is safe to do so.

TS did not have any clear view of the oncoming vehicle, and he is taking the risk that it is safe to turn?

Even for Pedestrian, when having the Green light it means cross safely.

So when Pedestrians are crossing they should move their eyes and observe the traffic directions.

actually in this case, i usually prefer to let the big truck be my shield. if the truck is not moving off, something must be wrong.

TS, this is just my observation on the defensive driving part.

agree i always move if that truck move. i will use the truck as shield [laugh]

anyway it look like edix

↡ Advertisement