True Story of a ex SAF regular

Little_prince

True life story of an ex-SAF regular.

Completed my 'O' Level in 1997, had the choice of entering into Poly with limited choice, mostly engineering courses. So I decided to pursue my dream career, Navy. Since young, I always collected lots of playing cards of warships with their specifications. Always asked my Dad to go for Navy open house.

So in 1998, the day I got my O Level results marked the day I walked into CMPB and spoke to the recruitment officer and from there on I was in Navy with a binding contract of 7 years.

2001, new contract was offered to all service men. They named it Premium Plan Contract, without much hesitation I signed on it knowing my time in Navy can be prolonged! I performed well in Navy all along as it is my passion and life. I had never got less than a silver for IPPT and never failed to get myself into top 3 of my cohort naturally.

Life was great! i went to so many oversea port of call during my tour onboard MCV. Kao Shiung, Phuket, Port Blair (INDIA), Bali, Surabaya, Jakarta, Medan, Darwin, Brunei and the list went on.

I got my SSG rank at the age of 23, was taking home apprx $2100 after CPF. Not bad for a 23 years old though my counterpart with diploma was raking in $400 more than me, I was still happy.

2005, my career path took a turn! 2005 was a crucial year for me as it was my ranking year whether I could enter PP2 or not with only 3 years left to go for my current contract. I took 2 blows!

1st blow, my CO who was ever demanding wanted us to be good in all aspects for ranking. I over achieved what he wanted, guess what, during the day of fighting for my ranking, he DID NOT attend it! Instead he sent an one week old newly posted officer to fight it for me with all the Majors, commanders from other unit of MCV.

2nd blow, SAF had promoted a new colonel to the post of HEAD Naval Pers and he announced a new rule for those who wanted PP2. To enter into PP2, for those having diploma will have auto qualification so long they clear their IPPT. For those below diploma, will be considered based on yearly ranking.

Fate sealed. I had no chance at all for PP2 with a piss poor ranking and O Level. So much for a metal rice bowl career huh.

2008, left SAF with nothing but memories of love and hatred.

Entered car trade as that was one of the only job which accepted me without any exp or papers.

Well, 2008 was the recession year. Sold few cars, barely surviving. Recession over, life as no better. COE increased from $5000 to $50,000 within 6 months. Ate grass.

2010 - 2012, entered into Interior Design and also found my GF which became my Fiancee.

Not doing very well but at least better than car trade. Proposed to her and she accepted my proposal. Reality set in as she said, she wanted me to get out of my ID job and asked me to find another better paid job with a decent basic pay.

Sent loads of Resumes, none replied. Sent again, none cared. Sent again and it was a resounding blank. For 6 months, I cant find a job in Singapore as a Singaporean! I didnt look for high paying job at the first place, was sending to those who was offering at least $800 basic with commissions.

What was wrong? Perhaps my low education, low exp ( as most of my career in SAF) and my age.

I am 32 now, spent most of my career in Navy and for these, no company wanted me. With low saving and jobless. My fiancee left me telling me lame excuses that we cant work out when at the first place she was the one who wanted me to leave ID for a more stable career.

So to conclude everything, I learned lots of life lessons the hard way.

- Never to trust that gahment job means SECURITY

- Never propose to your Sg GF when you aren't FINANCIALLY ready

- Tell your kids Never to leave school without at least a DIPLOMA

Currently, I just passed my TDVL (Taxi Driver Vocational License) and I hope I can use this job to pump up my cash saving before I embark onto my dream business. I am still unemployed now, waiting for LTA to issue me my license as I am typing my life story here.

Male, 32, Single, unemployed.

Porky

i may be harsh but he got only himself to blame for not upgrading himself.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

So Moral of the story,

He thought by signing on with the navy he can just retire a good life with no progress in learning new skills.

He is blaming his previous organisation and fail to see he himself is the stumbling block.

Made wrong choices during his teenage years is forgivable, who haven't made wrong choice before. But not correcting a mistake and allowing it to continue and blame the society, the organisation he had worked for shows this guy lack passion, lack aptitude, but most important of all lack the right attitude.

Getting the taxi licence means he still do not know what he really wants, just another job to tide over his unemployment.

Edited by Atonchia

Why didn't he apply for scholarship in the Navy if his results is good to enter Poly ..... :blink:

Obviously not good enough, otherwise why would he have limited choices to enter poly?

Anyway he should have applied to Navy for disruption to further his studies.

Depending on what he was doing in the navy, he might have looked into the marine industry here....

He can apply for Midmanship courses or Marine Engineering in Poly with sponser from the Navy. Like my colleague son who applied for Marine Engineering course whilst doing NS in RSN. He move on to degree at NTU and now a Captain in Navy. -_-

Obviously not good enough, otherwise why would he have limited choices to enter poly?

Anyway he should have applied to Navy for disruption to further his studies.

Or take up part time studies.

At least come out of uniformed service with a paper or some papers.

Never trust any organization. Trust yourself only.

why never study so as to upgrade himself while in the navy

if got better paper qulaification will probably mean better promotion prospects <_<

↡ Advertisement