More frequent filter and engine oil change due to haze

Siewss

With sub-micron particles continually sucked in through the filter into the engine, would it be advisable to change engine oil and the filter more often?

↡ Advertisement

Engine oil is meant to soak it all up.

With sub-micron particles continually sucked in through the filter into the engine, would it be advisable to change engine oil and the filter more often?

Dun worry too much.

Just change as recommended by manufacturer (now most is 10K km) a use original oil n air filter n a good quality synthetic oil.

That is enough to ensure ur engine stays healthy fr at least 10 yrs. Maybe even >20 yrs if u lucky.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

unless you drive in heavy desert sandstorms, otherwise just your normal servicing intervals.

If you use other air filters other than stock filter, it's time to revert to stock.

And I totally agree on this one. [thumbsup]

Cannot understand why so many car owners want to spend so much money on changing engine oil, just buy either Shell Helix Ultra / Mobil 1 or Carlube from Giant or NTUC during discount, no more than $60 for Mobil 1 during discount, $39 for Shell, $19 for Carlube.

If anyone want to change engine oil; I can do it for you for $20 labour charge if you bring your own oil & oil filter.Tel/SMS/Whatapps me 90877715

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

Cannot understand why so many car owners want to spend so much money on changing engine oil, just buy either Shell Helix Ultra / Mobil 1 or Carlube from Giant or NTUC during discount, no more than $60 for Mobil 1 during discount, $39 for Shell, $19 for Carlube.

If anyone want to change engine oil; I can do it for you for $20 labour charge if you bring your own oil & oil filter.Tel/SMS/Whatapps me 90877715

Not so long ago, I also don't understand.

Then I encounter the stuffs like engine oil level rising, engine cover gasket leaking,  dipstick becomes "gold" and sludge floating in the engine oil.  I only started to understand by experimenting with different engine oil and sending my engine oil sample for UOA.

• Praise 2

All those problems you came across were probably due to long overdue oil change and worn out seals, nothing to do with the engine oil per see.

Can't beat the value for money of Mobil 1 / Shell Helix or any "no-brand" engine oil if change out every 10K km / 6 months in local driving conditions

Not so long ago, I also don't understand.

Then I encounter the stuffs like engine oil level rising, engine cover gasket leaking,  dipstick becomes "gold" and sludge floating in the engine oil.  I only started to understand by experimenting with different engine oil and sending my engine oil sample for UOA.

that happened on your previous ride? yours now is a new toyota dont have these problems right?

that happened on your previous ride? yours now is a new toyota dont have these problems right?

Yes, on the previous ride.  The issues were "prevented" using a combination of an engine oil mix and proper coolant. 

Servicing can be "risked" at 10k because of the engine oil. 

I won't say the Toyota won't have issues.   The engine design, usage and driving pattern are inter-related. 

So far while monitoring,  it is still quite ok.   

I would say for my application,  it is tough for the Castrol to last to 10k.

Also,  as the coolant is "spent' when the mileage increases, temperature is trying to increase by 1 degrees Celsius. 

It is good to know that they classified major and normal servicing. 

P.S.  Hot weather, change EO early.

Edited by Kklee

Modern cars are mechanically very forgiving.  Problems do not just pop up overnight. Neglects will add up slowly km by km until the car cease to operate.

Poor or inadequate maintenance (irregular fluids / filters changes) will cause fluids to loose their properties leading to engine components not properly lubricated; resulting in overheating, ultimately causing seals damages and fluid contaminations...then failures

Yes, on the previous ride. The issues were "prevented" using a combination of an engine oil mix and proper coolant.

I won't say the Toyota won't have issues. The engine design, usage and driving pattern are inter-related.

So far while monitoring, it is still quite ok.

I would say for my application, it is tough for the Castrol to last to 10k.

Also, as the coolant is "spent' when the mileage increases, temperature is trying to increase by 1 degrees Celsius.

P.S. Hot weather, change EO early.

Ya besides engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant filters are not so ex.

• Praise 3

All vehicle manufacturers will specify the driving conditions, type & interval to change the various specified fluids & check specific components.

Troubles starts when vehicle owners delay parts/fluid changes or swap out the specifed types of fluids/ stock parts for those aftermarket components which performance had not been substantiated, leading to prematured wear &  tear, compounding the problem over time.

Changing fluids/parts prematurely/too often is simply a waste of money, also, any mechanical parts will wear faster if dismantle more often. Just my 2cents

Yes, on the previous ride.  The issues were "prevented" using a combination of an engine oil mix and proper coolant. 

I won't say the Toyota won't have issues.   The engine design, usage and driving pattern are inter-related. 

So far while monitoring,  it is still quite ok.   

I would say for my application,  it is tough for the Castrol to last to 10k.

Also,  as the coolant is "spent' when the mileage increases, temperature is trying to increase by 1 degrees Celsius. 

P.S.  Hot weather, change EO early.

Just curious, are you not driving a passenger car in Singapore ? Or are you driving a taxi, stop/go, short distances bursts  or yours a rally vehicle?

↡ Advertisement