Need advice on upward slope driving from standstill

After reading, more like driver problem than car problem or road problem. If you don't step hard, how to have smoke and wheel spin? And not one instance, a few instances. Are you trying to tell us you drive a powerful rear wheel drive? If so, just say. I have never see a person knowing his answer still ask for answer. No car will produce white smoke if wheel spin in the wet. Unless it wheel spin for few minutes already.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Thanks Ahgong,

From the two horrible experience, the more I stepped on it, the more the wheel spin and more smoke and noise. The car just did not move an inch whether forward or backward. I solved the problem by reversed slightly and move on. But I don't think what I did is safe if there are cars behind.

Wheelspin, too much torque ??

Maybe too much torque is transfer to rear wheel that cause wheel spin. Down gear to L gear does not help anything at all.

Try accelerate gently.

If your car has no traction control or LSD, on a slippery surface, power will not be transferred optimally to the ground.

Suggestions:

1) Do not stop on uneven slippery slope. Stop on at least an even slope, avoid drain covers etc...

2) Reduce your tyre pressure, less pressure means more grip, but more rolling resistance and lower tyre life.

3) Install LSD.

4) Change car.

5) Change job.

This is normal for FR cars especially when ground condition are bad and gives very little traction. This is because there is no weight over the driven wheels and hence the wheels are not able produce enough grip to climb a steep slope.

Can try to shift to 2nd gear and feather the throttle until you are able to move off. If still can't move then no choice but have to slowly reverse back down.

Wonder if anybody failed to asked this question.

Is the smoke coming from BOTH wheels, or only one wheel?

If only one wheel it shows you have an open differential. Time for an LSD, or maybe your rear suspension/ARB too stiff preventing both wheels from having contact on the ground.

• Praise 1

ever saw a lorry encountered this problem at United Sq/Novena Sq carpark upwards.

it was raining heavily and the sprial was very winding, therefore the lorry was unable to climb upwards half way in the turn.

my guess is that the rear wheels was not fully in contact with the surface and due to no load at the back, there was no sufficient traction.

There are not many auto RWD cars around. If TS is not driving a performance/sports car, BMW/Merc, then maybe he is driving a van or something like the Suzuki APV.

I have seen some contractors their van inside got a shelving, and they stack things on one side, and the weight is all on one side. If that is the case, it is possible that the suspension is being maxed out on a cambered slope and is not helping put the tyres on the ground.

TS, agree with others that you should try gentle acceleration and using left foot to control your brake. Handbrake may not be effective since it is holding on to the rear wheels only.

There are not many auto RWD cars around. If TS is not driving a performance/sports car, BMW/Merc, then maybe he is driving a van or something like the Suzuki APV.

I have seen some contractors their van inside got a shelving, and they stack things on one side, and the weight is all on one side. If that is the case, it is possible that the suspension is being maxed out on a cambered slope and is not helping put the tyres on the ground.

TS, agree with others that you should try gentle acceleration and using left foot to control your brake. Handbrake may not be effective since it is holding on to the rear wheels only.

A BMW/Merc have ESP. The ESP will kick in when it detect the wheel start to loss traction.

I had drove a car with ESP on a slope with snow, I felt the car wheel loss traction when move off from slope with snow. Next moment I saw the ESP light blinking and the car move off easily.

• Praise 1

Yeah I had that issue when I drove an auto toyota liteace out of I12 katong. The rear wheels kept spinning like crazy. I decided that since it's just a van i'll see how long i could get the wheels to spin for. Eventually the van went up the slope as I put the pedal to the metal. Shit that was fun. I think the cars behind me were like WTF.

Very simple. Learn to do left foot braking.

Use yr left foot to control e brake n slowly release while slowly increasing yr right foot on accelerator.

Guaranteed smooth starts on even the steepest slopes.

If u drive a manual is harder cos then u wil need to learn heel n toe which is a bit harder to learn n do properly.

it is a matter of getting used to it.

esp if that car is yours, getting to the biting point is almost second nature.

super zai wan will use engine brake and brake pedal to ease the car forward on a slope. (not recommended)

the correct way is still to use the handbrake, half-clutch + gas method.

• Praise 1

Yeah I had that issue when I drove an auto toyota liteace out of I12 katong. The rear wheels kept spinning like crazy. I decided that since it's just a van i'll see how long i could get the wheels to spin for. Eventually the van went up the slope as I put the pedal to the metal. Shit that was fun. I think the cars behind me were like WTF.

You can try people's park centre carpark. There is sharp bend + slope at the entrance where the eps is located.

You have to wait for the barrier to lift , so there is no momentum for vehicle to go up the slope without stopping.

That is when you can do a burnout.

You can try people's park centre carpark. There is sharp bend + slope at the entrance where the eps is located.

You have to wait for the barrier to lift , so there is no momentum for vehicle to go up the slope without stopping.

That is when you can do a burnout.

Haha if I was still shifting house, I would definitely do that on the van again. This isn't something you'd want to do on your own car.

ever saw a lorry encountered this problem at United Sq/Novena Sq carpark upwards.

it was raining heavily and the sprial was very winding, therefore the lorry was unable to climb upwards half way in the turn.

my guess is that the rear wheels was not fully in contact with the surface and due to no load at the back, there was no sufficient traction.

Very simple for TS to solve this.

Just reverse up the car park.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1