Car Buyer Scam?

Jho0001

Neutral Newbie

Scam or not? I think so.

Summary:
- Advertised my vehicle on Sgcarmart.
- Received an sms to email the details of my car to his mother, tried to sms back but no number was recorded...believe sms was sent via email or something.
- Did so and received a reply that she wanted to buy the car for her son who was based in Malaysia (car was to be exported) and she worked offshore so was unable to personally inspect it
- Asked me to send more photos of exterior, interior and engine.
- She liked what she saw, asked for best price and expressed her concerns as they were not able to personally inspect the car.
- Anyway, because she works in the marine industry she had no access to the bank for TT but was able to pay for the car via paypal.
- Googled paypal car buying scams and above scenario appeared frequently in the search results.
- Emailed back and declined the payment method and informed them that once she had access to the bank and able to TT the funds I would happily sell.

Whether the buyer was genuine, I may never know but it's very doubtful.

Just a warning to those selling.

↡ Advertisement

Scam or not? I think so.

Summary:

- Received an sms to email the details of my car to his mother, tried to sms back but no number was recorded...believe sms was sent via email or something.

- Did so and received a reply that she wanted to buy the car for her son who was based in Malaysia (car was to be exported) and she worked offshore so was unable to personally inspect it

- She liked what she saw, asked for best price and expressed her concerns as they were not able to personally inspect the car.

- Anyway, because she works in the marine industry she had no access to the bank for TT but was able to pay for the car via paypal.

- Googled paypal car buying scams and above scenario appeared frequently in the search results.

- Emailed back and declined the payment method and informed them that once she had access to the bank and able to TT the funds I would happily sell.

This MO has been reported before.

dont deal with overseas buyers.

Scam or not? I think so.

Summary:

Sell the car for less better than losing the entire car. Thanks for the warning though. Hopefully, people don't get greedy when trying to sell their car and end up losing way more.

Scam or not? I think so.

Summary:

Similar issue happened to me when I posted car for sale at one shift - army captain from Ang moh country offered me via email. After he replied 2nd time, I ignore him liao.

Similar issue happened to me when I posted car for sale at one shift - army captain from Ang moh country offered me via email. After he replied 2nd time, I ignore him liao.

Thanks for the enlightenment...will help us be aware...scamsters are getting innovative, aren't they? :o

If you have the time, juz troll the scammers. I did that once and had fun stringing the bugger along. Show the email chain to my friends and had a good laugh.

If you have the time, juz troll the scammers. I did that once and had fun stringing the bugger along. Show the email chain to my friends and had a good laugh.

Mind sharing the email thread? Sounds fun and interesting. If your email was private, maybe can edit it out before sharing.. [laugh]

Thanks for the enlightenment...will help us be aware...scamsters are getting innovative, aren't they? :o

put it this way - there r unscrupulous ppl out there who'd do anythin for money.

(edited)

Start reading all the way from the bottom, it is in reverse chronological order. The person used a gmail account initially, followed by a yahoo acct after I replied:

----------

On 21 Dec, 2011, at 2:02 PM, This.is.me <[email protected]> wrote:

I am at the western union outlet but the person over the counter advised me against sending the money without obtaining your name and identification number.

If you could please take a photo of your passport or driving license so that I know who I am wiring the money over.

Edited by Mits_jc

(edited)

He didn't reply after my last email, so I sent him a couple more:

Hello,

I have a Nigerian friend in Philippines who lives close to the address you provided, perhaps I can direct him to your rescue.

Edited by Mits_jc

My uncle who wanted to sell his Toyota Corona also received sms followed by email requesting for his personal particulars & bank details from a Pinoy man claimed working at local hospital but when my uncle called he did not answer then onwards we ignored his sms. If he's a genuine buyer, he would had answered our called so I guess your case most likely a scam.

muahahahahaha .... can't stop laughing ....

Start reading all the way from the bottom, it is in reverse chronological order. The person used a gmail account initially, followed by a yahoo acct after I replied:
----------
Please hurry as I am getting lots of attention due to the amount of money I am carrying.

↡ Advertisement