Which 2nd hand car dealer is good?

CamholicX

Already said to avoid such dealers you still waste time to bother to go down. Before buying already chut pattern. After buying lagi more.

Anyway not too difficult to inspect cars. What sta does Anyone can easily do too. All the inspection places give cursory looks only.

Haha... cos i really liked that car with that particular colour ma... but well... too bad the car was with a ridiculous dealer..

Anyway time not wasted... cos after bye bye to Creative Auto, went to another dealer to check out the same model car, the experience with this dealer was good.  The sales seemed sincere and honest.  They still didn't want to send their cars for AA evaluation (reason given was becos it's too far away, located at Alexandra, they dun want to take the risk of what will happen in between) but was totally willing to have it sent to my own mechanic at Sin Ming (recommended by my own fren).

The mileage of the car was abt 170kkm... i guess it's considered quite high?  But then at least i feel that it's more genuine... so long as the mechanic checked and say it's ok, shld be fine?

So hopefully everything goes well.. fingers crossed :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Haha... cos i really liked that car with that particular colour ma... but well... too bad the car was with a ridiculous dealer..

Anyway time not wasted... cos after bye bye to Creative Auto, went to another dealer to check out the same model car, the experience with this dealer was good. The sales seemed sincere and honest. They still didn't want to send their cars for AA evaluation (reason given was becos it's too far away, located at Alexandra, they dun want to take the risk of what will happen in between) but was totally willing to have it sent to my own mechanic at Sin Ming (recommended by my own fren).

The mileage of the car was abt 170kkm... i guess it's considered quite high? But then at least i feel that it's more genuine... so long as the mechanic checked and say it's ok, shld be fine?

So hopefully everything goes well.. fingers crossed :)

At least you have half the assurance by having your own workshop to check for you. Next is to ensure the car ownership will be transferred timely. Good lucky friend.

you are going to hear horror story from me now. If you are first time buyer, you will very likely be skinned alive by a used car dealer. This is business by nature, they wont be honest with you since you know very little about car. At least, they will suppress the truth even if they do not lie to you.

If you could share what car you are buying , you might get additional feedback from this forum too.

A few things to note other than checking the car which requires some experience:

how many owners ? The lesser transfer, the better is will be. Rule of thumb.

If you could have sighting of service record, that would be another level of assurance. This is possible, two of the old cars i bought have service records.

it is important you get someone who is familiar with driving and car to help you look out for telltale signs.

I dont encourage you to go in alone or with your girlfriend and wife, it is not going to help.

ask the dealer if after visual and test drive ok, can you send the car for STA inspection. You will have to foot the bill of course.

Dont be too quick to place your deposit, dealer will pressure you to put deposit and telling you that you would get refund if you change your mind, dont even believe in that.

dont drool in front of the dealer, tell him you have three more cars to view. Make it like you are not very excited.

If you need help,dont feel shy to voice your help here, you may get whack but you may get help, no loss but all to gain.

Yes. Do note that dealers will say number of owners is fake.. cos they use for transferring of number plates...
  • Praise 1

Thx all the bros here for all the info and advices!

Actually the car I'm interested in is just a very common car, the reason why i wanted CA that one was that they have a new car plate (so that I dun need to deal with any trouble fr the previous owner, if any) and cos of the colour ( I know everyone is going to whack me for this [:p] )... I can easily find another of the same model elsewhere...

Anyway went down to them again yday to enquire abt the car with another of their sales, this time discussed abt the price, and realized that they not only charge $1k admin fee, they even charge GST for the car! I really find it ridiculous... also, they're still reluctant to have the car sent to AA or own mechanic for evaluation.. So with all these.. bye bye to them...

Base on my experience buying used cars.... used car dealers do charge admin fee... we call that kopi lui...

May I ask if u are taking loan? From bank or finance company?

Fyi, banks n finance company charges dealers admin fee. Dealers will put that admin fee to buyer. But of cos... dealers mark up admin fee.

Cases where u need to loan high... and only outside credit companies can loan u... the admin fee will be sky high. This is becos they take high risk to siam MAS rules.

Some banks charge admin fee abt $100. So dealers will take from buyer $300-500. If u loan from credit companies.. they charge admin fees above $300 one... and dealers will quote buyer $1000.

The more tough u are able to loan, the more u need to pay. That’s how it goes.

GST is a must for all companies that are GST registered. If they r not, they cannot charge u GST. But if they are, then u need to pay the GST.

Also, send the car to AA is better becos the report is more detailed than STA. But normally if u r interested in this 2nd hand car, u can declare ur interests by negotiating the car price first. Once agreed, then u fork out about $200 to request dealer to send to AA. U pay for the assessment, so u get the report. If the car is not in ur satisfactory, dealers will buy the report from u at lower pricing. Thats what I practice when i buy used cars...

• Praise 1

Base on my experience buying used cars.... used car dealers do charge admin fee... we call that kopi lui...

May I ask if u are taking loan? From bank or finance company?

Fyi, banks n finance company charges dealers admin fee. Dealers will put that admin fee to buyer. But of cos... dealers mark up admin fee.

Cases where u need to loan high... and only outside credit companies can loan u... the admin fee will be sky high. This is becos they take high risk to siam MAS rules.

Some banks charge admin fee abt $100. So dealers will take from buyer $300-500. If u loan from credit companies.. they charge admin fees above $300 one... and dealers will quote buyer $1000.

The more tough u are able to loan, the more u need to pay. That’s how it goes.

GST is a must for all companies that are GST registered. If they r not, they cannot charge u GST. But if they are, then u need to pay the GST.

Also, send the car to AA is better becos the report is more detailed than STA. But normally if u r interested in this 2nd hand car, u can declare ur interests by negotiating the car price first. Once agreed, then u fork out about $200 to request dealer to send to AA. U pay for the assessment, so u get the report. If the car is not in ur satisfactory, dealers will buy the report from u at lower pricing. Thats what I practice when i buy used cars...

Oh, but actually i think dealers charge u less admin fee if you take loan, cos when you take loan, they already earn from the interests/commission... if you don't take loan, they'll charge you higher admin fees...

For the GST, I understand that all GST registered companies need to charge GST.  But then, they could have included the GST in their listed price... cos in this case like that, it appeared to me like as a hidden cost loh...

I also heard that it's better to send the car to AA for evaluation, but then the car dealers I met are all unwilling to do so.  Creative Auto totally unwilling to send to anywhere else for evaluation except for STA. 

The dealer that i got my car from, is unwilling to send it to AA cos it's too far, but totally willing to send it to my chosen workshop at Sin Ming.  After checking the car at my chosen workshop, a few small problems were reported and the dealer was willing to rectify all the problems before handing over the car to me.  The car was also transferred to me without any delays.  Knowing that I was a first time owner, they also helped me settle the road tax and carpark all these small small stuff.  Even after the was handed over to me, i have questions and texted the dealer, he also responded to me promptly.

So far the car is still running well.  I must say i'm really happy with this purchase... phew... first time car owner and everything shun shun.  Really thankful of this choice.  :)

• Praise 1

Oh, but actually i think dealers charge u less admin fee if you take loan, cos when you take loan, they already earn from the interests/commission... if you don't take loan, they'll charge you higher admin fees...

For the GST, I understand that all GST registered companies need to charge GST. But then, they could have included the GST in their listed price... cos in this case like that, it appeared to me like as a hidden cost loh...

I also heard that it's better to send the car to AA for evaluation, but then the car dealers I met are all unwilling to do so. Creative Auto totally unwilling to send to anywhere else for evaluation except for STA.

The dealer that i got my car from, is unwilling to send it to AA cos it's too far, but totally willing to send it to my chosen workshop at Sin Ming. After checking the car at my chosen workshop, a few small problems were reported and the dealer was willing to rectify all the problems before handing over the car to me. The car was also transferred to me without any delays. Knowing that I was a first time owner, they also helped me settle the road tax and carpark all these small small stuff. Even after the was handed over to me, i have questions and texted the dealer, he also responded to me promptly.

So far the car is still running well. I must say i'm really happy with this purchase... phew... first time car owner and everything shun shun. Really thankful of this choice. :)

Yup.

Basically, actually dont need to pay admin fee one. Is the dealer’s tak kiu lui.

And yes, not all dealers willing to send to AA. Reason is not far. It is because AA provides much better report than STA. And STA might have a better deal for report to all the dealers. I see Turf City... all dealers send to STA.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

i am not sure which 2nd hand dealers is the best but there's 2 dealers to avoid. Car88 and munich alpina. This 2 company got a lot of consignment cars in their company. So beware and careful.

You have any bad experience with this two? Was actually considering used cars from this two dealers. Thanks for the heads-up!
  • Praise 1

i am not sure which 2nd hand dealers is the best but there's 2 dealers to avoid. Car88 and munich alpina. This 2 company got a lot of consignment cars in their company. So beware and careful.

I am not related to them but am curious why are they bad for having a lot of consignment cars ?

Just curious. Would you guys prefer to buy a brand new Toyota Corolla Altis/ Honda Civic, OR a 2 year old (2017) Audi A3?

Assuming of course that the purchase price are the same.

2 year old Audi A3. Buy new car straight away take hit whereas relatively new 2nd hand car, first owner already took hit for you. Send for inspection to avoid lemons

• Praise 1

You have any bad experience with this two? Was actually considering used cars from this two dealers. Thanks for the heads-up!

Wah.. so chun one huh?
  • Praise 1

For the GST, I understand that all GST registered companies need to charge GST.  But then, they could have included the GST in their listed price... cos in this case like that, it appeared to me like as a hidden cost loh...

I also heard that it's better to send the car to AA for evaluation, but then the car dealers I met are all unwilling to do so.  Creative Auto totally unwilling to send to anywhere else for evaluation except for STA. 

The dealer that i got my car from, is unwilling to send it to AA cos it's too far, but totally willing to send it to my chosen workshop at Sin Ming.  After checking the car at my chosen workshop, a few small problems were reported and the dealer was willing to rectify all the problems before handing over the car to me.  The car was also transferred to me without any delays.  Knowing that I was a first time owner, they also helped me settle the road tax and carpark all these small small stuff.  Even after the was handed over to me, i have questions and texted the dealer, he also responded to me promptly.

So far the car is still running well.  I must say i'm really happy with this purchase... phew... first time car owner and everything shun shun.  Really thankful of this choice.  :)

Hi bro mind sharing the dealer you purchased from? Were you able to nego the price down and nego off the admin/processing fees? 

Im also looking at COE cars currently, most dealers also told me got admin fee. Some got admin fee + loan processing fee + GST .. very kua zhang

• Praise 1

Hi bro mind sharing the dealer you purchased from? Were you able to nego the price down and nego off the admin/processing fees? 

Im also looking at COE cars currently, most dealers also told me got admin fee. Some got admin fee + loan processing fee + GST .. very kua zhang

buy from direct sellers if you can, no such hassle.

nego on a price, go LTA or online settle transfer then pay up in full cash or take coe loan of your own.

drive off.

• Praise 1

COE is on the uptrend, many dealers are buying even 9 year old car to renew COE and sell off as COE car. They know buyers are desperate, so they will sell high with all loadings, you need to be patient and as some bros said, try to buy from direct buyers if you could. Not easy but there is still a possibility. Buy an old car to renew COE is cheaper than buying a COE car now. The more high end a car is, the more expensive will be the COE carmark up. Edited by Ct3833

The one i got from was Ka-Hup.  I actually didn't try hard to nego, cos their price for the car i got, was already one of the lowest compared to the other dealers.  And they only charged the price + admin fees so I felt quite ok loh. Oh they have 1 more restriction is that, need to buy insurance fr their agent, which was NTUC.  The fee was reasonable so I accepted.

More importantly why i was satisfied with them was that they were willing to send the car to the workshop of my choice for checking before confirming the transaction.  And after the workshop pointed out all the problems (which were all minor ones), they fixed all of them for me, and even showed me the bill.

After the purchase, they realised they forgot to pass me the spare key (i also forgot to ask though), the sales also took the trouble and arranged to deliver it to my place in person.

So far it's been a month since i bought my car, everything works fine :)

If I were to buy a car again, i will definitely go back to them again.

• Praise 2

Thanks makeanewcall, ct3833, and twopiece for the info and advices. I am looking to taking 90-100% loan for COE cars thats why. Not sure if I can get such high loan on my own outside other than the dealer's 'inhouse loan'. Any1 can advise on this? Of course Im more than ok to get from direct seller if loan wasnt an issue. 

↡ Advertisement