Need career advice

Moneysucker

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

Need some advice.

I am 33 this year and have been working in my current company (4th coy since graduation) for 6 years already.

Now, i am losing motivation and interest in my work.

I have no problems with my bosses or colleagues, pay and benefits are alright.

The problem is i were to change job, my salary is going to be roughly the same. Maybe only slightly more. This is because i am already getting the industry market rate.

The pro is that i will get to learn new things. The con is i may get bad bossess and colleagues

What would you do?

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys,

Need some advice.

I am 33 this year and have been working in my current company (4th coy since graduation) for 6 years already.

The problem is i were to change job, my salary is going to be roughly the same. Maybe only slightly more. This is because i am already getting the industry market rate.

The pro is that i will get to learn new things. The con is i may get bad bossess and colleagues

What would you do?

33yr old. work for 4th coy since grad. means you about 8 yrs working exp.

current job work for 6yrs. means your 1st 2 yrs changed 3 jobs?

you want to change job because you are losing interest in your work. but if you change coy, your job scope would be similar. unless you want to change a totally new job scope.

go apply first and see if there's any thing you fancy. go for interview and get the offer in hand then evaluate.

What would you do?

Learning new things is over-rated. Getting bad bosses and colleagues is far worse.

Better to keep good bosses and colleagues and sacrifice learning new things.

I have been learning new things for many years and you know what it got me?

Extra work! After I learn the new things, they make me do the new things and also

the old things! Double the work but no double the pay.

:D

Supersonic

Lol, sometimes learning too many new things might ended up taking more extra work, and without any additional pay given. [:p] I always believe no matter which company you go and how long you stay there, eventually the things you do will become routine and nothing much to learn. And thinking how many companies the person intends to change if his/her mentality is like this?

I'm 35

This is my second job, but still same industry - my first workplace was a pressure cooker. The boss was a slave driver. Stayed on because I was uncertain of what is going on outside and because of the nice colleagues. Once I had kids, I left because the hours were really not good for my family. Ended up at this current workplace which is a total bliss for work-life balance. My supervisor is super understanding and colleagues we go all out to help each other along, and we cover each others' backsides.

Other than my work, I always look out to learn new things; be it relevant or not. I attend courses here and there, probably it's just me. The serendipity of it came these few years when my boss has some new projects and I became a great help with all the contacts and courses I had attended. Becos of this I just got a promotion.

My current pay is almost the same but the time and benefits are far greater; sometimes it's not about the renumeration but the other intangibles.

(edited)

a good, understanding and supportive boss is most important.... esp if you have a family, you will realize the wonder of it when you need work-life balance

dun tell your employer that you want to learn new things, they hire you for work, not send you to school

Edited by Mysportwish

(edited)

Actually, getting paid on time every month without fail and getting reasonably paid is the paramount as an employee. You already has the added bonus of good boss and colleagues. Looks like it's a case of grass being greener on the other side.

You can continue to "steal steal learn new things" in your current workplace without working more. Learn doesn't mean after that you need to be the one doing. [sly][laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool

Neutral Newbie

33yr old. work for 4th coy since grad. means you about 8 yrs working exp.

current job work for 6yrs. means your 1st 2 yrs changed 3 jobs?

you want to change job because you are losing interest in your work. but if you change coy, your job scope would be similar. unless you want to change a totally new job scope.

go apply first and see if there's any thing you fancy. go for interview and get the offer in hand then evaluate.

i am 34 very soon...so its 3 jobs in first 3 years.

yea, same scope of work.

a few head hunters that called me already said the potential companies can only raise me by a few hundred dollars.

Neutral Newbie

Learning new things is over-rated. Getting bad bosses and colleagues is far worse.

Better to keep good bosses and colleagues and sacrifice learning new things.

I have been learning new things for many years and you know what it got me?

Extra work! After I learn the new things, they make me do the new things and also

the old things! Double the work but no double the pay.

true...but lets say my company's management changes in 5 years time and my new bosses hate me and i will have to leave.

then my CV will say i work for this company for 11 years...not good right since i dont have enough experience (from diff companies)

i am 34 very soon...so its 3 jobs in first 3 years.

yea, same scope of work.

a few head hunters that called me already said the potential companies can only raise me by a few hundred dollars.

explore opportunities within same co?

true...but lets say my company's management changes in 5 years time and my new bosses hate me and i will have to leave.

then my CV will say i work for this company for 11 years...not good right since i dont have enough experience (from diff companies)

when your new boss hates you, it's a new learning experience no money can buy albiet a painful one, a far better experience than learning the technicalities of the job.

a good, understanding and supportive boss is most important.... esp if you have a family, you will realize the wonder of it when you need work-life balance

Quoted for the truth.

A good working environment doesn't seem like much, until you get a bad boss. If you get paid on time, get a decent salary, and get good bosses and colleagues, it's better than switching for the sake of it and maybe getting a worse working environment.

However, if your job is becoming stagnant, you could always volunteer to take on new projects or new assignments that are outside your job scope. In that way, you'll learn more. You might not get more pay now, but the knowledge is more useful than a little more money a month which will be easily spent.

(edited)

Hi guys,

Need some advice.

What would you do?

1 year older then u.

i jump from my previous company after working 3 years there (think my number 6th or 7th, previously before this company was doing something else) to this current company doing quite similar thing. and like you, my increment is only about $500 more (but same like previous company, 13 month incorporated into monthly... so in actual fact the increment isn't a lot - the only advantage here is the VB... which is more generous then the previous company, I got a prorate of 2.x months recently.)

also like you, i find my work too mundane and no more motivation in the previous company hence joined this current company but trust me. within 6 months the same feeling comes back again. my risk of coming here is not pay but prospect of moving into another area of work something very different from what I am doing since this current company here have a lot of various different departments as compared to my previous company which only have limited departments i can move on to since the rest of the departments are based overseas.

anyway i am just bidding my time, i dun think i will stay in this current company for long (coming to 1 year and i feel like getting out again), just wait and see if there is really prospects or any prospects of moving to other department... or probably just wait for next year VB before jumping again...

:mellow:

Edited by Newdrive

Dear TS

I agree with what Little_prince has said above. Go to the actual job market to have a feel of your industry and its demand. Don't change a job cos you want to learn new things but value add to your existing scope of work so that your experience will be valuable & even if you make 1 round back to your previous company, the $$$ will be different liao! [sunny]

Go, go and check it out yourself!

No one looks for experience in different companies,

if not then job hoppers will be the most sort after employees.

What companies look for is experience in the job scope

and experience in what you have accomplished.

If you have better offers then you can weigh the offers and then

make a decision.

Some of my colleagues say they want to move but no one has made them

an offer so they cannot move.

TS, I think u should move on... When a place no longer provides any motivation.. it's boring. If u constantly wonder if outside is a green grassland or desert... And dont dare to do any company change bec of this unknown.. u are not being good to yourself.

I'm 37 and moved 3 industry (first 2 industry movement not my choice bec kanna recession in 1997-1999. From 2000 till now, i have moved around 6 companies in the same industry but doing different specialization. Now looking back, I realised that if I stayed on from the 3rd company till now, I could be in a job thats comfortable to let me work until 50+. But I have no regrets at all bec I know now what's really my job strength and what I like to do and hate to do.

So finally found a job scope that I would want to do until 45 years old before I decide if I wanna continue or change or stop working.

Be brave and don't be a pussy

Btw TS, why think other company would not pay u more?

Most of the time internally promoted loyal staffs in the sandwich category are paid lesser than joiners from other competitors...

It's a management ploy to make staff to fear leaving and always telling them they are well remunerated to achieve staff retention goals.

↡ Advertisement