SkillUSA

Yeobh

Turbocharged
(edited)

This is a problem with developed countries and even here in singapore, there is such problem.

On paper we have all these technical institutes, polys etc emphasizing hands-on and winning international contests, but these are just a few students.

Large numbers of youth these days not only do not value skills, but are very poor at it! Even some things that should be naturally instinctive, are lost to them. Example, like tightening a component with several screws or bolts, naturally you would do it in an alternating pattern evenly - even basic things like this have to be taught, and then forgotten like a textbook fact [dizzy]

Few have hands-on hobbies nowadays, preferring to just press buttons on computer.

Edited by Sosaria

I've transitioned from a white-collar job to a blue-collar manual job and I can see why ppl don't want to do manual jobs...it's not just the money.

With well designed building and well equipped workshops do not necessary product good/skill mech/tech. Trainers with the right attitude and love for their jobs can make a big difference in the final products (mech/tech).

Many who sit at the top doing planning and directing courses are very qualified in terms of papers but only few in between have the sufficient exposure to thier related industrial work enviroments.

It does not matter whether it is a while of blue collar, the video main gist is all about vocation training. If you happen to work in the office , you will skills in handling phone calls up to doing spread sheets on your computer desktop.

This is a problem with developed countries and even here in singapore, there is such problem.

On paper we have all these technical institutes, polys etc emphasizing hands-on and winning international contests, but these are just a few students.

Large numbers of youth these days not only do not value skills, but are very poor at it! Even some things that should be naturally instinctive, are lost to them. Example, like tightening a component with several screws or bolts, naturally you would do it in an alternating pattern evenly - even basic things like this have to be taught, and then forgotten like a textbook fact [dizzy]

Few have hands-on hobbies nowadays, preferring to just press buttons on computer.

Our Society(Singapore) have placed full emphasis on fa

(edited)

Not surprise! An engineer with a mechanical degree used my battery powered hand-drill. First thing he said....eh..something wrong with your drill...it wont drill the hole. Went up to him and told him...holdup the drill please...change a switch and told him continue drilling. He then managed to drill the whole. He asked me what was the switch for? So i told him.....'oh...its the directional button...you were drilling with the motor running counter-clockwise!" [laugh] [laugh]

Edited by Eviilusion

Hypersonic

One joker on a forum don't even know he must turn the screw clockwise to tighten it. :wacko:

Not surprise! An engineer with a mechanical degree used my battery powered hand-drill. First thing he said....eh..something wrong with your drill...it wont drill the hole. Went up to him and told him...holdup the drill please...change a switch and told him continue drilling. He then managed to drill the whole. He asked me what was the switch for? So i told him.....'oh...its the directional button...you were drilling with the motor running counter-clockwise!" [laugh] [laugh]

hahahaahha........this is classic

I have once come across a graduate foreign engineer performing a tech job - who was trying to tap a drilled hole on a metal sheet with a bottoming tap - he managed to break one bottoming tap before I stop him from further damage.

What is the use of studying all the theories but end up doing a downgrade job that he is not even train for. Many Singaporean are facing this situation and will become more acute as we progress upward.

There are many jokers in this forum who know nothing about auto repair and technology but trying to cut and past to show how smart they are. Very sad, our society has reach a stage where every one is trying to show off " I am fat in the pockets, and I have a big mouth to BS, so what can you do to me"

I have once come across a graduate foreign engineer performing a tech job - who was trying to tap a drilled hole on a metal sheet with a bottoming tap - he managed to break one bottoming tap before I stop him from further damage.

What is the use of studying all the theories but end up doing a downgrade job that he is not even train for. Many Singaporean are facing this situation and will become more acute as we progress upward.

U havent come across an Engineer who came to me telling me the countersinking tool is blunt cause they fail to make a countersink. I ask where the is the hole to be countersunked and the reply was 'must drill a hole first har!" Really made my day siak! :wacko: :wacko:

I've .transitioned from a white-collar job to a blue-collar manual job and I can see why ppl don't want to do manual jobs...it's not just the money

Hi, skunk,

I've also transitioned from a blue-collar job to a white-collar job then to no-collar-job and I can see why ppl don't want to hire old man to do the job...it's not just the money [:p][laugh][laugh]

hahahaahha........this is classic

Its only half-classic as these Engineers works with youngsters passing their technical knowledge to the young. When i told h [cool] im about the counter-clockwise thingy these youngsters were giggling away but gave me a smile of approval!

Turbocharged

With well designed building and well equipped workshops do not necessary product good/skill mech/tech. Trainers with the right attitude and love for their jobs can make a big difference in the final products (mech/tech).

Many who sit at the top doing planning and directing courses are very qualified in terms of papers but only few in between have the sufficient exposure to thier related industrial work enviroments.

Ha... ha... very true. Trainer, after a few years, will become obsolete without regular exposure to update themselves in real industrial environment. And let's face it - how many institutions can afford to release their staff for such "updating"?? Manpower is just enough, as every employee has to be justified.

Not just trainers have to have the right attitude, although certainly they must be enthusiastic in the first place in order to motivate those they are training. Trainees must also have correct mindset and attitude - and this is a problem nowadays as the "skills" type of course do not attract the best students.

Not quite true ....

In sgp , there is still auto enthusiastic who quit their high paying job just to

Be near to their hobby.

Ive a tech friend, quit his 6k per mth logistic job to persude his dream job.

He's drawing only a mere 1.5k per mth now...

But everytime i meet him , his full of joy and happiness.... Doing wat he most enjoyed

Be it electric problem, fuel problem or chassis problem.... He'll joyfully diagnosed and rectified

And yes ! He a pure Singaporean with an ITE nitec cert!

He always tell me, he's near engine not engine near....!

My 2cents

This is the only swallow flying in the winter and that does no mean it's spring time :D

↡ Advertisement