Tampines accident: Cement-mixer driver charged over crash

Darthrevan

ST_20130716_ECCEMENT16_3747294e.jpg

A CEMENT-MIXER driver has been charged over the fatal crash in Tampines which claimed the lives of two brothers and cast the spotlight on heavy vehicles and road safety.

Munir Mohd Naim, 57, is claiming trial to causing the deaths of Nigel Yap Yew Cheong, 13, and Donavan Yap Teck Siong, seven, by a negligent act at the traffic light cross-junction of Tampines Avenue 9 and Tampines Street 45 on Jan 28.

Nigel was cycling and taking his brother - who was riding pillion - home after school when they were struck by the cement mixer at about 5.40pm.

Munir Mohd allegedly failed to keep a proper lookout while making a left turn from Tampines Avenue 9 into Street 45 when the traffic light was showing "green" in his favour.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...-crash-20130716

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

The case will be very interesting - it should be followed carefully.

Just hope that it doesn't end up placing unreasonable expectations on drivers.

Wah, claim trial, means he think he is not at fault at all?

he may be at fault. but not totally. light was in his favour after all.

just hope they dont open a can of worms.

Turbocharged

It's purely speculation on my part - but what I suspect is that the light had been green for "sometime" when he made the turn, and that the boys on the bike were not at the intersection when he started the turn / was waiting for the light to change.

IF this is true, the case will rest on what sort of expectations are on him to see the cyclist coming from behind, on a footpath, as he is turning. It would also be interesting to note about what sorts of sightlines he had and if he could even have seen the boys at all from the drivers seat given the comparative positions,

Naturally, as I wasn't there - this is pure speculation.

As mentioned, I just really hope that due to its tragic nature, this doesn't end up putting unreasonable expectations onto drivers

Supersonic

On the roads, there are many cyclists riding on pedestrian crossings.

If you're the unlucky one, you could be have run them down and get involved.

Heavy vehicles with huge mass and momentum is hard to stop on a dime.

Supercharged

from the report in papers, i see this incident as 50/50. The question is whether did the 2 boys practices safe crossing or just dash out onto the road, even though it's "green man" for them.

The driver is also at fault for failing to watch out for pedestrains on the road. The question is whether was he able to see the boys? is there a blind spot from his driver's seat? was the windscreen covered with 1001 stickers and other obstructive objects that blocked his vision?

The takeaway from this incident is we, as drivers, MUST always be careful at traffic lights. Be it red or green light, red or green man, we need to be very careful. Always slow down at traffic lights. I see alot of idiotic drivers, just zoom pass the traffic junctions, when its green light in his favour.

Green light DOESN'T mean you can close 2 eyes and zoom pass.....

he may be at fault. but not totally. light was in his favour after all.

just hope they dont open a can of worms.

Could be sort of a landmark case leh...can't wait to see how the courts would decide.

from the report in papers, i see this incident as 50/50. The question is whether did the 2 boys practices safe crossing or just dash out onto the road, even though it's "green man" for them.

The driver is also at fault for failing to watch out for pedestrains on the road. The question is whether was he able to see the boys? is there a blind spot from his driver's seat? was the windscreen covered with 1001 stickers and other obstructive objects that blocked his vision?

The takeaway from this incident is we, as drivers, MUST always be careful at traffic lights. Be it red or green light, red or green man, we need to be very careful. Always slow down at traffic lights. I see alot of idiotic drivers, just zoom pass the traffic junctions, when its green light in his favour.

It's not just green light...see green light pick up speed somemore...

Amber oso zoom past

Just turned ref oso zoom past

Just turned red for 3-4 secs oso zoom past

Hypersonic

It's not just green light...see green light pick up speed somemore...

Amber oso zoom past

Just turned ref oso zoom past

Just turned red for 3-4 secs oso zoom past

Not always true. I have seen kids dashing across the road on bicycles even when cars are already turning. Drivers like us need super quick reflexes when dealing with them.

Turbocharged

I guess that the facts - such that they can be known, will come out during the trial.

Once that happens, I guess we can make our own judgements

The driver might have a case.

How often we see cyclist chionging across a pedestrian crossing then immediately make the 90 deg crossing also.

And they dont even turn their head to maintain eye contact and ensure us driver sees them.......they just dont give a damn!!!

Then continue onto the walkway ringing their bells to put off people. [hur]

wtf!!!! They act as if they own both the road & walkway.

I see this happening almost everyday!!!

• Praise 1

The driver might have a case.

How often we see cyclist chionging across a pedestrian crossing then immediately make the 90 deg crossing also.

And they dont even turn their head to maintain eye contact and ensure us driver sees them.......they just dont give a damn!!!

Then continue onto the walkway ringing their bells to put off people. [hur]

wtf!!!! They act as if they own both the road & walkway.

I see this happening almost everyday!!!

You're right.

I have no pity for these cyclists. If I should run over one someday due to his or her recklessness and if the law tries to prosecute me, I will claim trial.

IMO Singapore is definitely over congested with cars

Same area, more cars, more people = more issues that's for sure

I somehow agree with govn raising Coe

Not always true. I have seen kids dashing across the road on bicycles even when cars are already turning. Drivers like us need super quick reflexes when dealing with them.

I too hv my close shaves...quick reflexes works with moderate speed in order to avoid accidents.

those bicycles on the roads should be better controlled, seen a few jokers cycling on lornie road when the traffic is fast at around evening, they have no lights to indicate their presence and

some of the trucks with scratchs on the windscreen may not be able to see clearly.

I totally agree!!! [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement