Tampines accident: Cement-mixer driver charged over crash

Darthrevan

Based on your description of alleged scenario, even so, I am not sure if I would, given the trauma, anguish and guilt. In addition, the law weigh heavily against drivers even if they are not 100% liable.

That said, this is still a sad and heartbreaking tragedy. This should not happen again.

As drivers, none of us want accidents to happen. On the receiving end, can also be our loved ones.

So parents must teach their kids about road safety and drivers, please be more vigilant.

↡ Advertisement

some ideal at least, but i think number 2 cannot work, if construction going on beside how?

and if kids run over by cars, are we going to ban car on that route also??

after driving all these years, my personal feeling is there are too many laws and rules protecting cyclist and pedestian, such to an extend that any incident happen between a car and them , no matter who is at fault, the driver is going to be punish,

in long term , the result is cyclist and ped have the mentianty that vehicle have to give way to me, u touch me , you are in trouble,

and while we have good education toward scoring A for paper, we really fail in this aspect, my younger newphew who is a top student can cross the traffic light looking at his phone, totally unaware of the surrounding cars situation.

and in alot of cases i see myself, the light have turn red for the ped to stop crossing, and car is getting to move, off, and ped is still in the middle of crossing, but they have no sense of urgency to even pick up their step of start to double up or run, its like they are challengling the car, knock me down if u dare,

those ppl that will gan jiong and double up their step is infact the older generation.

in USA, a jaywalker when proven guilty is punished

Fact: green light in driver's favour

Fact: he hit somebody who technically jay walked

Fact: driver still got charged for not keeping a "proper look out"

Summary: you will get charged for knocking someone down regardless that pedestrian was negligent.

Cos any accident is avoidable. U see ppl, simply stop. If u can't brake in time, yr too fast

Cos any accident is avoidable. U see ppl, simply stop. If u can't brake in time, yr too fast

in this cement truck context, its heart wrenching to say that the boys went underneath the rear wheel. The driver cant possibly have his eyes all round at all time.

If like that then he was charged rightly. Even if red man for the pedestrain and green for driver he still shoulders at less 50% of the blame cos he failed to keep a proper look out.

His chances very low cos the law always protects the minors and the elderly and/or disadvantaged group.

50% chance thats why he plead not guilty.

This accident was not the first and it won't be the last, he probably get a few weeks or just fine, depends on what actually happen coming from his angle.

Turbocharged

in this cement truck context, its heart wrenching to say that the boys went underneath the rear wheel. The driver cant possibly have his eyes all round at all time.

Rear wheel?

Why not?

To be fair, he is at fault for not looking out but he did have right of way, the boys are equally at fault for cycling on pedestrian crossing with no proper warning lights on their bike.

So he stands a chance of winning the trial.

If you were the truck driver, will you claim trial?

Agree! Its very dangerous for cyclists to use the pedestrian crossing. When awful situation like this happens, they cannot go-stun fast enough at all unlike human being who can siam very quickly most of the time.. reflex action mah.

he will still kena something unless in some strange cases in the past for whatever reason and judge say cannot use as precedent, those fellas got away free.

Supercharged

i am not sure it if correct or wrong for cyclist to ride while crossing the zebra crossing, once, i was driving, saw no pedestrians, about to drive off, suddenly, a cyclist zoom across the zebra crossing, heng for me, if not i kena hold up blue tent for him

It is actually an offence to ride across a zebra crossing or traffic crossing... one has to dismount and push across... but no cyclist and cops ever give a damn bout this offence...

If green man is on, but driver sees no more pedestrian crossing so move forward, then suddenly dash across, then how?

Such cases I personally encounter so many...lucky I was alert [:(]

That's why he was very unlucky. I am sure we all encounter this now and then, especially cyclists as they can literally zoom out from nowhere.

Neutral Newbie

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/cement-mixer-driver-jailed-2-weeks-tampines-fatal-accident-20140127

A cement-mixer driver who negligently caused the death of the two Yap brothers in Tampines a year ago was jailed for two weeks on Monday.

Munir Mohd Naim will also be banned from driving all vehicles for five years upon his release.

The 57-year-old, who is now doing odd jobs, pleaded guilty to causing the death of Nigel Yap Yew Cheong, 13, and his seven-year-old brother, Donavan, who was a pillion rider, while they were cycling along Tampines Street 45 at 5.43pm on Jan 28 last year.

Munir had not paid due care and attention and failed to keep a proper lookout while making a left turn from Tampines Avenue 9 into Tampines Street 45 when he collided into the brothers.

Edited by Gong
  • Praise 1

I got foreign workers cycling without any regards to traffic rules in my area all the time. I hate to think of the consequences if I ever run over any of them idiots.

Why report didnt say whose fault?

Light in favour of who?

As a driver, i felt that law is really unfair to car driver when come to accident with pedestrian, cyclist n jaywalker.

After this accident, i also didnt see much effort done by the chenghu to make it compulsory to ask the cyclist to dismount n push their bicycle across traffic juntion n zebra crossing

• Praise 2

I got foreign workers cycling without any regards to traffic rules in my area all the time. I hate to think of the consequences if I ever run over any of them idiots.

same at geylang, can we have the purge day? [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

4612EFDE-E47C-F29B-F873E5FE1DD880D7.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2