Tampines accident: Cement-mixer driver charged over crash

Darthrevan

Like this, I think it is a harsh call on the driver for 2 weeks jail.

But whether you agree with the sentence or not, no matter who you think is at fault, there is an important lesson here.

And that is to teach those around you about sight lines, and what you can and cannot expect people to see. Also teach people that "right of way" isn't a Star Trek style deflector shield.

↡ Advertisement

all Chenghu fault for not implenting strict rules on cycling........expect more and more cyclists once the COE shoot sky high and No money to take school bus

especially those near schools area.....ah gong or ah ma ferrying their grandchildren to school

and to think some gungho ah beng dare to jammed brake in front of a cement truck but kena F upside down by lau beng... [grin]

That one is true hero!!!

ST_20130716_ECCEMENT16_3747294e.jpg

A CEMENT-MIXER driver has been charged over the fatal crash in Tampines which claimed the lives of two brothers and cast the spotlight on heavy vehicles and road safety.

Munir Mohd Naim, 57, is claiming trial to causing the deaths of Nigel Yap Yew Cheong, 13, and Donavan Yap Teck Siong, seven, by a negligent act at the traffic light cross-junction of Tampines Avenue 9 and Tampines Street 45 on Jan 28.

Nigel was cycling and taking his brother - who was riding pillion - home after school when they were struck by the cement mixer at about 5.40pm.

Munir Mohd allegedly failed to keep a proper lookout while making a left turn from Tampines Avenue 9 into Street 45 when the traffic light was showing "green" in his favour.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...-crash-20130716

Go read every traffic accident charge sheet/report, without fail, the highlighted red statement will be in.

Even when you get acquited, they still can use this to nail you, of course, reserved for truely local born drivers only.

I never fail to see this statement in every court cases involving traffic accidents.

all Chenghu fault for not implenting strict rules on cycling........expect more and more cyclists once the COE shoot sky high and No money to take school bus

especially those near schools area.....ah gong or ah ma ferrying their grandchildren to school

They also failed miserably on enforcing traffic regulations.

Drive down Punggol Way anytime in the day and you can see these speeding monster trucks.

This is not happening today only, but for the past few years ever since the link to Seletar opened. Any improvements? Ask TCH if he's also disappointed with the traffic police chief.

Ya, i agree with you.

There are many times that they ring the bell and expect you to give way to them at the pavement. I have to give way to them even though i was holding my 2 children and i have to move to the grass so that they can pass. Seow right? They should see the situation. Can't they cycle on the grass when they see it is inconvenient for the pedestrain to give way to them?

The pavement walkway is for people to walk and not for bicycle.

Frankly, this constant battle of space between pedestrian and cyclist IS going to LEAD to more ACCIDENTS in future. Some may be fatal.

"This incident should nonetheless serve as a timely reminder for cyclists to get off their bicycles before availing themselves to the privileges of a pedestrian crossing,'' the lawyer said.

I still don't see this happening.

"This incident should nonetheless serve as a timely reminder for cyclists to get off their bicycles before availing themselves to the privileges of a pedestrian crossing,'' the lawyer said.

I still don't see this happening.

Sorry that I have to say this but, cycling should be confined to the parks in my opinion. Singapore road is just not bicycle friendly.

To the law, justice may be served.

To the parents of the 2 young boys, it may be some form of closure for them.

To me, whenever I thought about those boys and the grief their death brought, life sometimes really sucks man!!

Edited by Toothiewabbit

Go read every traffic accident charge sheet/report, without fail, the highlighted red statement will be in.

Even when you get acquited, they still can use this to nail you, of course, reserved for truely local born drivers only.

I never fail to see this statement in every court cases involving traffic accidents.

No leh, I can prove you wrong... That statement didn't appear on lady lexus driver.. You go dig it out if you don't believe.... Hehehe..

No leh, I can prove you wrong... That statement didn't appear on lady lexus driver.. You go dig it out if you don't believe.... Hehehe..

What's that case about? Can't recall.

Any links?

I feel this is something that should be mandated by the law yet nothing much has been done about it

once again the court gave a deterrent sentence of 2 weeks instead of the full sentence [shakehead]

U got class 4/5?

Sometimes it is really impossible to see.

Sorry that I have to say this but, cycling should be confined to the parks in my opinion. Singapore road is just not bicycle friendly.

I agree on this. Thats why I have been hesitant, procrastinating, dragging my feet on teaching my kids to cycle. Problem is that, yes I can limit them to parks. But after school, they get home, ......maid bring my kid to nearby playground......on the way cross some minor roads.....but still... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

meanwhile, wife & I only come back before 8pm.

It should b a 2/multi prong approach. Rules on cyclist & industry practice overhaul by law. Cannot wait for industry to adjust & watnot. Ban the pay per trip system. Make it fix salary, mandated max hours, mileage, or trips per day.

Enforcers must do due diligence. Eg, based on REALLY going at 40-50kmh, how many trips/km would 1 reasonably expect such a driver to make/clock?

There will always be market spoilers?......educate them on a hotline to call to report incident.

Giving the driver the full 2 years & ban 8 ys also may not help. Because when 1 is forced to desperation to pay bills, safety checks would slowly but eventually b thrown out of the window. More so when 1 is aware that if he is not be hard striving, he would be replaced by others who are more hard striving & hungrier.

Though easier said than done, we are talking about human lives here (young children especially). I am more than convinced that if they attempt to fix this problem with the same dedication they have in fixing the opposition, it wont be too long b4 this challenge is fixed.

I'm very touched and heartened by the magnanimity of the two boys' parents. The composure that they spoke with as they faced the media, and remarking that it's the future that matters... very few Singaporeans have such a big heart.

God bless them.

↡ Advertisement