Can English be a Singaporean mother tongue?

Darthrevan

The debate some months ago regarding SMRT's announcement of station names in only English and Mandarin threw up some interesting views.

Proponents raised arguments that there was nothing wrong in catering to the linguistic needs of elderly Singaporeans and Chinese tourists. Those in opposition contended that it neglected our Malay and Indian communities. Some groups wanted all four official languages to be used. The incident was a microcosm of different groups in Singapore with competing linguistic interests and ideologies.

Of course, the social and economic dominance of English in Singapore is not new. Both the Government and various groups have long been trying to reverse the declining use of mother tongue languages. However, for the first time in our history, those who use and see English as their de facto mother tongue, are becoming the majority of the population.

There are implications for all of us.

CONTRADICTIONS WITH POLICY

After two generations of the bilingual policy, many Singaporeans are increasingly using English as their principal home language. This shift towards English is prevalent in all racial groups, but most apparent amongst young Chinese families. According to Ministry of Education figures, the proportion of Chinese students entering Primary 1 who speak predominantly English at home, rose from 36 per cent in 1994 to 50 per cent in 2004.

At the same time, surveys suggest that as younger Singaporeans grow up as native speakers of English (ie, English being the first language they acquire as a child), they will increasingly claim ownership of English, with the language being core to their identity. This is not to say that Singaporeans are becoming monolingual English-speakers

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

The debate some months ago regarding SMRT's announcement of station names in only English and Mandarin threw up some interesting views.

Proponents raised arguments that there was nothing wrong in catering to the linguistic needs of elderly Singaporeans and Chinese tourists. Those in opposition contended that it neglected our Malay and Indian communities. Some groups wanted all four official languages to be used. The incident was a microcosm of different groups in Singapore with competing linguistic interests and ideologies.

Of course, the social and economic dominance of English in Singapore is not new. Both the Government and various groups have long been trying to reverse the declining use of mother tongue languages. However, for the first time in our history, those who use and see English as their de facto mother tongue, are becoming the majority of the population.

There are implications for all of us.

CONTRADICTIONS WITH POLICY

After two generations of the bilingual policy, many Singaporeans are increasingly using English as their principal home language. This shift towards English is prevalent in all racial groups, but most apparent amongst young Chinese families. According to Ministry of Education figures, the proportion of Chinese students entering Primary 1 who speak predominantly English at home, rose from 36 per cent in 1994 to 50 per cent in 2004.

At the same time, surveys suggest that as younger Singaporeans grow up as native speakers of English (ie, English being the first language they acquire as a child), they will increasingly claim ownership of English, with the language being core to their identity. This is not to say that Singaporeans are becoming monolingual English-speakers

Edited by Aaronlkl

Turbocharged

English is Singapore mother tongue if you are an ang mo.

what so difficult about understanding what is mother tongue.

Turbocharged

what so difficult about understanding what is mother tongue.

Not so straight forward.

For purposes of schooling, "mother tongue" is actually "father's ethnicity"

It doesn't follow the language that the child learned as their "cradle language"

And secondly, as I understand it at the moment, a child is not allowed to choose "English" as their "mother tongue" at school.....I know it was never offered for an option to me ;-)

And secondly, as I understand it at the moment, a child is not allowed to choose "English" as their "mother tongue" at school.....I know it was never offered for an option to me ;-)

curious..what did u choose as the second language for ur child?

Please lar. This kind of thing also must need research or debating. I think you people very free. I from primary one study English and always pass leh. If not first language then what? Please lar!

(edited)

As a common working language for the multi races in sgp, English seems to be a good choice. Then various races should be allowed to learn their mother tongue or another language in schools. Don't not force a ban on dailects. This way, we have a common language for practical purpose, and diversity for varieties n "colors" :D

Edited by Maseratigood

Turbocharged
(edited)

The French, Germans, and many other non-english ang mo will definitely want to have a word with you... [laugh]

They should just scrap this mother tongue thingy lah... Take a 2nd language in school, compulsory, and proficiency up to a certain level - but let people decide what language they want! Especially with many children coming from mixed marriage family these days, and not easy to pin down what the mother tongue should be.

That way also there is no reason for anyone to be 'excused' from mother tongue - while others are forced to take their designated mother tongue, whether they like it or not - thus making the system fairer for everybody.

Edited by Sosaria

Turbocharged

curious..what did u choose as the second language for ur child?

Chinese lor....

What else to choose? Wifey speaks, MIL is Chinese eddycated....

Turbocharged

The French, Germans, and many other non-english ang mo will definitely want to have a word with you... [laugh]

They should just scrap this mother tongue thingy lah... Take a 2nd language in school, compulsory, and proficiency up to a certain level - but let people decide what language they want! Especially with many children coming from mixed marriage family these days, and not easy to pin down what the mother tongue should be.

That way also there is no reason for anyone to be 'excused' from mother tongue - while others are forced to take their designated mother tongue, whether they like it or not - thus making the system fairer for everybody.

This is what I think should be the policy also - want bilingual CAN - but you choose the second language depending upon what are your own needs, background and history. Don't agree to tieing language to father's race

Author is saying we dun look or sound like ang moh. Using English as our main language is like pretending to be one. That's why he suggest we use it as mother tongue. To put it simply, Chinese shud speak Mandarin, Malay speak malayu, Indian speak Tamil, and so on. I think that's what he trying to say. To put it so nicely. Pui!

Turbocharged

National Language - Malay

Official Language - English

Unofficial Language - Singlish

Mother Tongue (for Singaporean Chinese) - Mandarin

Grandmother Tongue (for Singaporean Chinese) - Chinese dialects such as Hokkien, Teochew, Cantonese, Hakka, Hockchew, etc

Mother Tongue (for Singaporean Malays) - Malay

Mother Tongue (for Singaporean Indians) - Tamil

Mother Tongue (for Singaporean Eurasians) - English

Mother Tongue (for Singaporean Sikhs) - Punjabi

Mother Tongue (for Singaporean Peranakans) - English/Malay

correct?

this has been our way of life... our unique Singapore identity

so why change?

Turbocharged

Not so straight forward.

For purposes of schooling, "mother tongue" is actually "father's ethnicity"

It doesn't follow the language that the child learned as their "cradle language"

Okay u win.

Where had u been??