Shop for Steering Rack Assy Repairs

Ping911

Neutral Newbie

A bit of an old, post but I'll wanted to share for those looking for chassis parts:
Fitinpart.sg local stockiest of Bushings , Engine Mountings , steering system parts etc...

Fitinparts is a store, but our our neighbor mechanics do do replacements  for bushing, link ends etc.. 

Example for Toyota:
http://www.fitinpart.sg/index.php?route=product/category/appSearch&b=88&c=&m=&e_v=&e_n=&y=&b_v=&cat=44&veh=1&p_type=&show=0app_products

Hyundai:
http://www.fitinpart.sg/index.php?route=product/category/appSearch&b=36&c=&m=&e_v=&e_n=&y=&b_v=&cat=44&veh=1&p_type=&show=0app_products

Honda:
http://www.fitinpart.sg/index.php?route=product/category/appSearch&b=32&c=&m=&e_v=&e_n=&y=&b_v=&cat=44&veh=1&p_type=&show=0app_products

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Updating you guys here. Maybe it will give people here some areas to look at when trying to solve your irritating front suspension sounds.

My problem seems to have been fully resolved (after testing for 1 day in all possible road conditions).  [finger crossed]

Problem turns out to be from the front shock mounts.

As I mentioned previously, the noise started after changing my shocks all round. initially it was soft, but got louder as time passes and as I started to change out parts to try to solve the problem. the workshop who installed my shocks brushed off my suggestion to check the shock installation saying that the shock installation is pretty straightforward and not likely to be the source of the noise, most likely due to my bushings and links in the undercarriage. As I changed out most of the old bushings and joints, the handling of the car tightened up and the noise got louder.

After driving around without my music/radio for the last few weeks, I kind of narrow the noise to a specific condition when my right suspension was being compressed since when I roll my left front wheel up a hump first, the sound did not appear.  If it is the steering rack, the noise should have been replicated either side since it is all linked up in the center.

At my wit's end, I decided to insist that the workshop to show me the mounting of the front strut through the engine bay.

4GS_Springs_18.JPG

I took this pic off the internet to show what I am talking about. this is the same mounting I have on my car.

While jacked the right side (where the noise comes from), the silver locking nut was off centre and almost touching the side of black metal rim. When I looked at the left side, the nut was more centralised although still not dead centered. I got the workshop to lower the car to that the suspension will be under load. The nut position changed by a few millimeters on the right. That kind of tells me that the shock mount is pretty dynamic when under various load.

Next, I got the workshop to remove the mount and I inspected it visually, no crack no wear and tear, looks pretty new in fact. I noticed that the center metal ring (where the shock rod passes through) is held in the center by rubber material within the mount. As with all bushings, inspection is one think, but if it has been demonstrated under load test to yield, it is worn and needs to be changed.

So I got the workshop to change out the  mounting on both sides. the noise is magically gone the next moment of test driving. I think even the boss of the workshop was pretty surprised.

The workshop in the bid to save me money, did not recommend me to change my front shock mounts during my shock change since visually it is not damaged. End up I have to spend a few hundred more to sort out the noise it created. I do not blame the workshop but given the lesson learnt the hard way, I will probably insist on them changing the front mounts together with the shock change in the future.

Bro, quick check with you on something.

You mentioned you encountered vibrations in the cabin while travelling at speed in addition to the noise.

After the strut mounts were changed, did the vibrations go away? Didn't see you mention other than the noise. :)

I don't remember mentioning any vibrations. The only issue I had was the "grok grok" sound from the right wheel arch area when going over humps at low speed.

You mentioned you encountered vibrations in the cabin while travelling at speed in addition to the noise.

After the strut mounts were changed, did the vibrations go away? Didn't see you mention other than the noise. :)

Have bro. See post 4

I copy paste for u :)

My car experiencing some rattling sound from the front suspension area especially over rough road surface or speed regulating strips at low speed. The steering wheel seems to be getting more vibrations transmitted from the road surface during high speed travel. During turning not an issue with no sound or vibration from lock to lock.

are you experiencing knocking sound when going over uneven road or humps and bumps? usually is either on the front left wheel side or right front wheel side. if you suspect your steering rack, one simple test to do is to turn your steering wheel left right left right fast fast. if you hear tok tok sound, likely is the rack problem.

Have any new workshops spouted up of late of any Lexus owners here would care to share experience with their Lexus?? Mine is a simple ES250 warranty over so dont want to damage wallet .......

.......... preferably in the East area which I guess is KB Autobay or Ubi area  

Edited by BanCoe

Neutral Newbie

My qashqai 2018 model have a "tok" sound while taking a full right turn. Left turn is fine. Workshop guy told this would be Steering arm problem. Anyone experienced same? If yes where I can find a recon part in Singapore.

Thanks!

Twincharged
39 minutes ago, vvn007 said:

My qashqai 2018 model have a "tok" sound while taking a full right turn. Left turn is fine. Workshop guy told this would be Steering arm problem. Anyone experienced same? If yes where I can find a recon part in Singapore.

Thanks!

Might be a steering tie rod problem. Just change the tie rod. If you need to rebuild the rack and replace the bushings, then I have had good experience with elite driveshafts. 

Neutral Newbie

@Mkl22 Thank Bro. But identified its steering rack issue. I was using coil over instead of original suspension. IT damaged the rack bush and makes this noise. I managed to find a recon one (good condition) and replaced it. Now the issue is resolved. I went to Mirage motorwerkz @ KB for this.

Internal Moderator
13 minutes ago, vvn007 said:

@Mkl22 Thank Bro. But identified its steering rack issue. I was using coil over instead of original suspension. IT damaged the rack bush and makes this noise. I managed to find a recon one (good condition) and replaced it. Now the issue is resolved. I went to Mirage motorwerkz @ KB for this.

How much did it cost you for the recon one?