Shop for Steering Rack Assy Repairs

Ping911

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Have a Toyota Picnic and was recently asked by workshop to change the steering rack assy. Quite expansive, and looking for 2nd opinion and quotes for replacement. Any good workshop to recommend.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi there,

I have the same problem now as you. My 7 year old Picnic has leaking power steering fluid and been advised to replace the steering rack. Have you found a good and cheap workshop? Maybe a rebuilt one?

Thanks!

Need some experience sharing for what are the symptoms of a steering rack problem?

My car experiencing some rattling sound from the front suspension area especially over rough road surface or speed regulating strips at low speed. The steering wheel seems to be getting more vibrations transmitted from the road surface during high speed travel. During turning not an issue with no sound or vibration from lock to lock.

I suspect is the steering rack problem. I thought steering rack is not a wear and tear item?

Checked with stockist, seem like the steering rack comes in a whole set. 

Are there anyway to repair the steering rack? Change bushing? I read up some online forum, they just change out the steering rack bushings and all their similar symptoms goes away.

Twincharged

Make sure it's the steering rack. I would suggest you check brake pad rattle, shocks, suspension joints in that order. Steering rack should be the last.

Supercharged

Need some experience sharing for what are the symptoms of a steering rack problem?

My car experiencing some rattling sound from the front suspension area especially over rough road surface or speed regulating strips at low speed. The steering wheel seems to be getting more vibrations transmitted from the road surface during high speed travel. During turning not an issue with no sound or vibration from lock to lock.

I suspect is the steering rack problem. I thought steering rack is not a wear and tear item?

Are there anyway to repair the steering rack? Change bushing? I read up some online forum, they just change out the steering rack bushings and all their similar symptoms goes away.

Unless there is a leak if not unlikely to be steering rack. High possibility will be suspension joints and bushings, these parts get worn off easily.

Supercharged

i am also scouring the forum for a recommend.

mine the problem is with the bushing.
Steering feels kinda "loose" at times... my regular mech quoted me bout $400 to get it replaced.

still trying to find info on steering bushing replacements, repairs and costing.

any lobang is really appreciated.

elite driveshafts at sin ming.

anyone in particular to look for?

Make sure it's the steering rack. I would suggest you check brake pad rattle, shocks, suspension joints in that order. Steering rack should be the last.

I changed out the 4 shocks + front lower ball joint bushing + antiroll bar bushing recently. Those helped with tightening up the suspension and handling but not the rattling. the lower arm bushing looks alright but I might change those out if I am going to need to change the steering rack.

Brake pad rattle? I did try out letting the car roll over uneven surface at low speed with and without engaging the brakes. The sound is still there either way. Anyway to isolate that particular problem or rule it out?

Unless there is a leak if not unlikely to be steering rack. High possibility will be suspension joints and bushings, these parts get worn off easily.

44250-06300-NY-Map1.jpg

This is a similar steering rack picture. Does it have oil in it like the suspension shocks?

You see the black circular bushing at the bottom on both side? I saw on the other forum that these bushings get worn out and the whole steering rack vibrates on the mount causing the rattles. The overseas guys just swap out these bushings with aftermarket ones themselves in under 45min home garage job.

Edited by Vratenza

i am also scouring the forum for a recommend.

mine the problem is with the bushing.

Steering feels kinda "loose" at times... my regular mech quoted me bout $400 to get it replaced.

still trying to find info on steering bushing replacements, repairs and costing.

any lobang is really appreciated.

anyone in particular to look for?

$400 is cheap. The stockist quoted me the whole steering rack assembly for 2.1K. 

What model of car you driving and which workshop did you go to? I may want a second opinion on my problem.

For those keen to do in jb, Google katc jb.

They are gearbox WS. But when I was there, they do recon steering rack too.

That time i ask price for info for my kimchi car was rm7xx plus all in.

U have to see if the saving is worth your effort up.

Twincharged

$400 is cheap. The stockist quoted me the whole steering rack assembly for 2.1K.

What model of car you driving and which workshop did you go to? I may want a second opinion on my problem.

What car are you driving? Changed the anti roll bar links?

What car are you driving? Changed the anti roll bar links?

09 lexus GS. 

Oh not yet. you think that may be the problem?

So far only changed the shocks, front ball joint and anti-roll bar bushings.

I do know that bushing wise, there are a few other components to be changed:

- front stabilizer (anti-roll bar) link

- front lower arm

Anything else to change other than the steering rack?

Do you recommend me changing out all the abve mentioned before considering the steering rack change?

I seem to have a similar prob as you. its a Pug 308CC.

When I drive over uneven surfaces or over a hump, there is undercarriage clunk n thunk sounds and there seems to be feedback from the steering wheel. It does not happen all the time.

Other issues include:

- Driving up to 150kmh, car is stable, but over 170kmh the front end jumps!

- Driving with hardtop down @ about 70-90kmh, the from front end seems to vibrate side to side slightly.

I am upgrading the front lower arm bushes/anti roll bar bushes to improve handling, concurrently replacing stock droplinks and ball joints. The shocks have been replaced with coilovers and lowered slightly with new rubber top mounts. The above observations were there before the coilover change and still there.

I am also taking the opportunity to replace the engine mountings too since its 70k, look worn and a used car.

I am hoping the above will cure the symptoms.

Meanwhile, workshop inspected the front undercarriage and said it might be steering rack too. I asked them to do the above replacements/upgrade prior to the steering rack or any related parts.

Sounds very similar to your case?

Edited by Wildfaye29

09 lexus GS.

- front lower arm

Do you recommend me changing out all the abve mentioned before considering the steering rack change?

WS also detected my steering rack is leaking, but very minor leak, judging from the steering wheel oil level. But my front stabilizer (anti-roll bar) link rubber gone already, so changed for <$200 inclusive of labour. Can feel the effect after driving out of ws, less vibration from steering wheel esp during idling, car won't swap so much when cornering...

Supercharged

will PM you. left the card at home.

for mine, the issue is bushing replacements only. not the whole rack.

Edited by Ahgong

Twincharged

09 lexus GS. 

- front lower arm

ha. GS. similar to my MarkX where i was chasing suspension or front end noises. in the end it was a faulty shock and brake caliper pins and pad rattle.

I have changed the shocks, upper arm, ball-joint, anti-roll bars links, bushing, lower arm rear bush rebuilt the rack. workshops gave up on me and declined to investigate further. i persevered and thought hard and later DIYed and found the noise was from the brakes. I regreased the caliper pins and pads. should have done that first. wasted money. but the GS brakes are different from the MarkX. so maybe its not the brakes? did you touch something here recently? or get a mechanic to check?

anyway if you still believe its the rack one test you can do is to use a rubber mallet(or fist? haha) and knock on the left and right arms of  the rack. do you hear any vibrations that is similar to the noise you hear? thats what the workshop taught me and Jason at elite driveshaft said too. anyway Jason was pretty sure it wasn't the rack  but i insisted as i was convinced due to some small sounds when you knock on the arms. in the end wasted $600. the slight sound on the rack was gone but the rattle persisted.

if you want i can "lend you my ears", PM me.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

I seem to have a similar prob as you. its a Pug 308CC.

When I drive over uneven surfaces or over a hump, there is undercarriage clunk n thunk sounds and there seems to be feedback from the steering wheel. It does not happen all the time.

Other issues include:

- Driving up to 150kmh, car is stable, but over 170kmh the front end jumps!

- Driving with hardtop down @ about 70-90kmh, the from front end seems to vibrate side to side slightly.

I am upgrading the front lower arm bushes/anti roll bar bushes to improve handling, concurrently replacing stock droplinks and ball joints. The shocks have been replaced with coilovers and lowered slightly with new rubber top mounts. The above observations were there before the coilover change and still there.

I am also taking the opportunity to replace the engine mountings too since its 70k, look worn and a used car.

I am hoping the above will cure the symptoms.

Meanwhile, workshop inspected the front undercarriage and said it might be steering rack too. I asked them to do the above replacements/upgrade prior to the steering rack or any related parts.

Sounds very similar to your case?

Sound like it. There are just too many variables in the front end.

Most of the workshops are not good or bothered with troubleshooting.

Most of them rather your just change eveything and be done with it. they earn more that way.

I don't mind changing out all the bushings and lower arms, at most come up to less than 1K.

When you tell me that I have to change the whole steering assembly (don't come cheap), that is something I have to research on and maybe get a 2nd or 3rd opinion to verify.

will PM you. left the card at home.

for mine, the issue is bushing replacements only. not the whole rack.

Thanks in advance!

I was hoping to find a workshop has the expertise to just swap out the steering rack assembly bushing rather than the whole rack assy.

Most other workshop just like to swap out the whole steering rack assy when the problem could be just the bushing which I understand is wear and tear.

The rest of the steering rack should not be so easily spoiled unless I go 20inch rims or go off road all the time.

↡ Advertisement