Prison officer made a scapegoat?

Little_prince

The family of Dinesh Raman, the prison inmate who died after being negligently left in 'prone position' without adequate supervision, is unhappy with the sentence that the senior prison officer in charge was dealt.

The officer who had not provided the adequate supervision which caused Dinesh's death was fined $10 000, an amount the family says does not compare to the life that was lost.

The case took almost 3 years to come to a conclusion and the family says that they are still not sure how exactly the 21 year old had died in 'prone position'.

The late Dinesh Raman was sentenced to reformative training in 2007 for the charges of rioting and theft. He was released in January 2010 but was recalled to Changi Prison in May after he failed to comply with his supervision order.

His mother, a cleaner, expressed that she was unsure why he went back to jail.

She had seen him for the last time shortly before we was re-imprisoned in May. She said that she was unable to visit him as she was stressed and occupied with other family matters at that time.

As a mother, she had visited her son often during his first 3 years and continually encouraged and supported him. She said that as a boy, her son was always affectionate, kind and helpful around the house.

His hobbies included simply listening to the radio, watching TV, playing games and exercising. She said that she is constantly reminded of her son and there isn't a day that goes past when she doesn't think about him.

She continues to live in the same flat that the family used to share and has thought about her son every day since his death 3 years ago.

↡ Advertisement

couple of questions comes to mind

1. if the senior officer is guilty of "lack of supervision" shouldnt the ones who actually held him down and used excessive force be held accountable too?

2. the prisoner was by all accounts violent and non cooperative. In such a situation, the officers need to use adequate force to contain him. the death was a legitimate accident. So why is the prison officer being charged as a criminal? since there was no intent to kill?

1. if the senior officer is guilty of "lack of supervision" shouldnt the ones who actually held him down and used excessive force be held accountable too?

2. the prisoner was by all accounts violent and non cooperative. In such a situation, the officers need to use adequate force to contain him. the death was a legitimate accident. So why is the prison officer being charged as a criminal? since there was no intent to kill?

he only get fine for $10K, but i hope he gets to keep his job.

I think he died after being put in a restraint and left in prone position which made it hard for him to breathe. He didn't die becos of execessive force that was used.

I think he died after being put in a restraint and left in prone position which made it hard for him to breathe. He didn't die becos of execessive force that was used.

put in a restraint position until he die. isnt that excessive force?

my point is, if the senior guy was charged for lack of supervision, shouldnt the guys that actually held him down be punished too?

I read this report in The New Paper, this prisoner kicked the officer. Then the officer used pepper spray on him and brought him to solitary cell and kept him in the prone position which caused his death.

Its the mix of pepper spray + prone position that caused his death.

my point is, if the senior guy was charged for lack of supervision, shouldnt the guys that actually held him down be punished too?

My assumption is that he was restainted which means his hands could be tied/cuffed/straped behind his back.

Is that considered excessive force since no one was in the cell with him?

According to official version, the prison wardens involved had exercise necessary and appropriate restraining procedure after the deceased inmate's attack.

The job of the supervisor is check inmate condition and take appropriate action if things goes wrong.

That is why the senior was charged for failing that.

According to official version, the prison wardens involved had exercise necessary and appropriate restraining procedure after the deceased inmate's attack.

The job of the supervisor is check inmate condition and take appropriate action if things goes wrong.

That is why the senior was charged for failing that.

if the procedure is appropiate and necassary, then why should the senior prison officer be charged?

oh well.

nothing to do with me, just found it a pity that the guy was charged for doing his job.

Very unlikely he gets to keep his job..i know civil servant if go court, receive fine 1 or 2k...he be asked to leave.

Prison bosses also wont wanna risk again...the rest of the officers involved..most probably hentak kaki, reassigned or ask to leave too.

so sad [:(]

need to treat them like emperor or not?

Very unlikely he gets to keep his job..i know civil servant if go court, receive fine 1 or 2k...he be asked to leave.

Prison bosses also wont wanna risk again...the rest of the officers involved..most probably hentak kaki, reassigned or ask to leave too.

According to the report in The New Paper, he gets to keep his job. But post to admin side.

Turbocharged

if the procedure is appropiate and necassary, then why should the senior prison officer be charged?

oh well.

nothing to do with me, just found it a pity that the guy was charged for doing his job.

issue was he is suppose to check to ensure the inmates are okay?? and he maybe didnt check it??

like out army camp. COS and BOS didnt do proper check also will tio charge??

According to the report in The New Paper, he gets to keep his job. But post to admin side.

oh good, wonder why the mum so concern...

i saw in papers that she ever get court order to stop the son from getting near her! :huh:

think he was posted to admin job until internal investigation is concluded if additional punishment needs to be meted out to him. i doubt he can go back to being where he was given the publicity in the case. He will be taunted by the prisoners non stop who read about the incident. better to be transferred somewhere else where he can start afresh.

think he was posted to admin job until internal investigation is concluded if additional punishment needs to be meted out to him. i doubt he can go back to being where he was given the publicity in the case. He will be taunted by the prisoners non stop who read about the incident. better to be transferred somewhere else where he can start afresh.

The prisoners will not have a chance to read about the news. My relative just came out from Changi Chalet. He said the newspaper are highly censored. Other than some entertainment or generic news, the rest are all blacked out. eg: no sports news allowed to prevent illegal betting. No political news allowed. No crime news allowed.

no matter how tough the son had been to his own mom, there is always this bond between a mother and her children.

i would assume that the son may have gone astray somewhere while growing up but had been very close to his mother before that.

issue was he is suppose to check to ensure the inmates are okay?? and he maybe didnt check it??

like out army camp. COS and BOS didnt do proper check also will tio charge??

We will never know the truth.

When news first broke, I thought that the supervisor beri cham...

When such thing happens, esp in public institutions, someone has to be the fall guy right?

↡ Advertisement