KIA K3 Owners check-in!

TTT

My fellow K3 owners, do your disc brakes rust badly? The rust comes off after a drive with some braking and then gets even more rustier the next day.. I'm afraid that this rust specs are gonna settle in the alloy rims later..

It's normal... just a surface phenomenon... not detrimental to your disc brakes... I think you don't drive much that's why you notice it when it accumulates... you drive off and step on the brakes once and all of what will be worn off already...
↡ Advertisement

My fellow K3 owners, do your disc brakes rust badly? The rust comes off after a drive with some braking and then gets even more rustier the next day.. I'm afraid that this rust specs are gonna settle in the alloy rims later..

You park in a damp area? Normally rotors no rust unless recently washed and left to stand for a few hours.

You park in a damp area? Normally rotors no rust unless recently washed and left to stand for a few hours.

Drove to KL and it's been raining on and off. Noticed that it's rusty before driving and clean while parking and rusty again the next morning. I'll come back to SG this weekend and will monitor this further. Thanks!

Drove to KL and it's been raining on and off. Noticed that it's rusty before driving and clean while parking and rusty again the next morning. I'll come back to SG this weekend and will monitor this further. Thanks!

Due to the material of the disc it will rust for all cars and depending on where you park and the amount of usage , I assumed you parked at an open car park level ground ,which the dew from the environment may also accelerate the rust effect .
  • Praise 1

Due to the material of the disc it will rust for all cars and depending on where you park and the amount of usage , I assumed you parked at an open car park level ground ,which the dew from the environment may also accelerate the rust effect .

Thanks! I understand that. But this is pretty unusually fast rusting as my brother in law's almost 8 years old Latio and the other Honda parked next is not getting rusted. 

Thanks! I understand that. But this is pretty unusually fast rusting as my brother in law's almost 8 years old Latio and the other Honda parked next is not getting rusted.

Most welcome . Maybe they drive more often then you ? As the rust will have driven off the rust by the brakes operation .

(edited)

Did'nt know that, the shop ask me to set at that... i will go set it at 12.2V and see how it turn out. Thanks!

Mine a thinkware and it was set at 12.3V (i think, can't rem exact value but it was the max allowable). Last battery was amron and it lasted less than 6 mths. Before the amron was stock battery and on same setting lasted 1 yr.

Now i turned off parking mode.

Edited by Sotong1977
  • Praise 1

Most welcome . Maybe they drive more often then you ? As the rust will have driven off the rust by the brakes operation .

We drove the same distance and parked around the same area and only my disc brakes are rusting..

(edited)

We drove the same distance and parked around the same area and only my disc brakes are rusting..

Different manufacturers may have different contents of material mixed in the same kind of parts hence hard to measure with other Makes and moreover disc are made of cast iron due to the fact it can withstand very high temperature but will rust easily . Maybe other Bros here can share their views on the similar scenarios you face but this issue is actually quite a normal phenomenon . Edited by Gene96696

It's perfectly ok la. Don't worry about it.

The rust is due to the oxidation of the metallic particles transferred from the brake pads to the rotor

I signed extra 2 years servicing plan with C&C on top of 1st year free plan. My SX K3 is coming to 2 years @ 30KM.

So I presume my next appointment will be major servicing?

Planning to change car battery and 4 tyres after 2 years. The stock nexen tyres worn out very fast and are quite noisy... any good 17" tyres recommendation? Anybody change battery and tyres at C&C? Are they more expensive than outside? What brands do they carry huh?

• Praise 1

I signed extra 2 years servicing plan with C&C on top of 1st year free plan. My SX K3 is coming to 2 years @ 30KM.

Planning to change car battery and 4 tyres after 2 years. The stock nexen tyres worn out very fast and are quite noisy... any good 17" tyres recommendation? Anybody change battery and tyres at C&C? Are they more expensive than outside? What brands do they carry huh?

From what I know tyres there have Yokohama , roadstone , Achilles , Bridgestone with free patch up and free nitrogen . Price may vary . Battery if I not wrong it’s about $200 and given 1 year warranty . Not sure if they have changed another brand of battery .
  • Praise 1

(edited)

For me, my servicing with C&C is 5yrs. Currently using Michelin tyres PS4.....good grip during wet condition. The other tyres I would recommend is Good Year F1 Eagles asymmetric. Edited by Potatoes
  • Praise 1

For me, my servicing with C&C is 5yrs. The day I collected my K3, i traded in my Nixen tyres for Michelin tyres PS4.....good grip during wet condition. The other tyres I would recommend is Good Year F1 Eagles asymmetric.
  • Praise 1

Hi would like to check with you all..if your rear windscreen heater ever turn off automatically? A couple of times it turned off by itself after awhile.

• Praise 1

Hi would like to check with you all..if your rear windscreen heater ever turn off automatically? A couple of times it turned off by itself after awhile.

Hi , yes it will auto shut off for safety purpose to prevent overheat of the rear windscreen heater . Same to other makes of cars .
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1