Car battery draw current when engine is off

Joemit7850

Hi I just change my Amazon battery less than 10 month ago from AA,

however, yesterday the batt is weak and I could not start and get AA mechanical to come down and check,

he managed to jumpstart and check, his reason was the car electronic fault and not the battery, the car electronic eg: Sound system, light, video camera etc are drawing current from the battery even through the car engine is off. I try to drive the car for at least 30min after he jumpstart to charge the battery.

This morning my car could not start again, I am now waiting for AA to come and jumpstart again,

Can someone advise , is it possible on what the AA mechanical have claim?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

however, yesterday the batt is weak and I could not start and get AA mechanical to come down and check,

he managed to jumpstart and check, his reason was the car electronic fault and not the battery, the car electronic eg: Sound system, light, video camera etc are drawing current from the battery even through the car engine is off. I try to drive the car for at least 30min after he jumpstart to charge the battery.

This morning my car could not start again, I am now waiting for AA to come and jumpstart again,

Thanks

There will be parasitic power loss and there will some some electronic devices like immobiliser (if not, how is your remote able to unlock car?) that continue to draw small amount of current even when engine is off and doors locked.

Always a good habit to physically off radio, aircon blower, pull out devices from 12V sockets........

Supersonic

Check for parasitic current drawn, after everything is switched off.

It should not be more than 80 mA.

If AA can't do check, you need to find workshop.

Otherwise, the battery may have a fault of not retaining charge.

but I got this sound system since I bought this car 3 yrs ago and even all the electronic devices except the camera which I install about 2 yrs ago, all the while I do not have any problem with the battery only need to change every year , could it still be the problem

thanks guys

Supercharged

Somewhere in the ice, is depleting the battery..

Either you redo the wiring, change of ice, or just have a simple switch to totally cut off the power when you exit the car.

Amazon battery?

i also just had AA came to the rescue when my battery died last week, he jump start for me claim connection loose, then after he left i couldn't start again, the same guy came back and test again and confirm the battery was dead even though the 'reader' show healthy.

my batter was about 2 years and i have no gadget in the car the stock sound system. The battery guy say nowadays some car battery only last less than 1 year.

but I got this sound system since I bought this car 3 yrs ago and even all the electronic devices except the camera which I install about 2 yrs ago, all the while I do not have any problem with the battery only need to change every year , could it still be the problem

thanks guys

With engine ignition off, pull out the suspect acc fuse from the fuse box and plug in this fuse tester. If the current is still flowing, the display will show the amount of amp drawn. From here you can trace back to the acc and do wire connections isolation test.Chaces there is a slight short or live wire grounded.

post-272-1375064074_thumb.jpg

I have bought this at SG $60. Very handy. Can also charge iphone 20x and laptop dun how many time. Best can jumpstart car.

Autobac sell this at $198. Prove can jump start a car. Review mostly say can.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r....;id=25368492243

Do not try on Subaru car. I have two friend that both driving Subaru car and once they jumpstart, their circuit board is burnt. So do jumpstart on Subaru car. (Hope that I was wrong).

Back to ypur question. Usually ICE dun draw power when engine is off (unless your installer use the main battery power and not ACC power). Best to install a Capacitor and Raizin voltage stabilizer.

Alarm and 24hr camera will draw power when car is off.

I have install a mini voltmeter in the car and always monitor it before and during driving to see the voltage.

Every car will draw some current away from the battery when its engine is not running. But the power drawn is very min..for stock accessories. Like your original hi fi...clock...ECU etc...

But if you have a lot of accessories to your car like DVR etc...it can flatten the battery depending on how much amp the accessory is drawing.

Check this...a friend who had his battery flat once every few weeks even when he change new battery was trace down to a faulty door switch...which kept his boot light on 24/7. That was why he had to change battery once every few months.

(edited)

My current setup in Vios 08 car running on 45mAH battery.

1. Pioneer DEH P80 Headunit (act as Active Processor).

2. Pioneer P8450BT DVD headunit.

3. 1 x Capacitor

4. 1 set of Focal KR2 speaker (tweeter + speaker)

5. 1 set of rear Pioneer speaker

6. Roadnavi GPS module (Papagao) to connect to my Pioneer P8450BT DVD headunit

7. DVBT module to Pioneer P8450BT DVD headunit

8. 1 x Focal 4.75 amp

9. 1 x Soundstream lil' Wondr 500W Monobloc

10. Soundstream 12' Woofer (Ported enclosure)

11. EasyCar 772A car alarm (keyless entry with push start system)

12. ITB 100HD in dash camera.

13. All door LED door pointer.

14. All Leg room LED

15. Reverse CCD + Front CCD camera with auto switch module connect to Pioneer P8450BT DVD headunit.

16. Rear mirror LCD screen (Not Use now)

17. Pivot Raizin voltage stabilzer

18. Mini voltmeter.

All these when turn on ACC voltage is at 12.5V. When driving, my voltage is at 13.2V.

What I have in my car that is totally conceal:

1 x 1l fire extinguisher.

1 x small First aid box.

1 x very small pack of electronic tire pump with repair sealant

1 x Jump start kit as seen above thread.

All of the above installation is entirely hidden and cannot see at all, except for my DVD Head unit and speaker of cos.

Edited by Gdspd08

My current setup in Vios 08 car running on 45mAH battery.

1. Pioneer DEH P80 Headunit (act as Active Processor).

2. Pioneer P8450BT DVD headunit.

3. 1 x Capacitor

4. 1 set of Focal KR2 speaker (tweeter + speaker)

5. 1 set of rear Pioneer speaker

6. Roadnavi GPS module (Papagao) to connect to my Pioneer P8450BT DVD headunit

7. DVBT module to Pioneer P8450BT DVD headunit

8. 1 x Focal 4.75 amp

9. 1 x Soundstream lil' Wondr 500W Monobloc

10. Soundstream 12' Woofer (Ported enclosure)

11. EasyCar 772A car alarm (keyless entry with push start system)

12. ITB 100HD in dash camera.

13. All door LED door pointer.

14. All Leg room LED

15. Reverse CCD + Front CCD camera with auto switch module connect to Pioneer P8450BT DVD headunit.

16. Rear mirror LCD screen (Not Use now)

17. Pivot Raizin voltage stabilzer

18. Mini voltmeter.

All these when turn on ACC voltage is at 12.5V. When driving, my voltage is at 13.2V.

What I have in my car that is totally conceal:

1 x 1l fire extinguisher.

1 x small First aid box.

1 x very small pack of electronic tire pump with repair sealant

1 x Jump start kit as seen above thread.

All of the above installation is entirely hidden and cannot see at all, except for my DVD Head unit and speaker of cos.

LoL...no wonder your batt life is short. Even if you did not have this problem in the past but becoz of the heavy load, things like the alternator will deteriorate over time.

Some ppl I know they told me after they dekit their car it is much livelier to drive. That's why I keep things stock in my car. Batt can last 2 years or more. If you search you will find many ppl batt is short lived and alternator up lorry and most likely they have all kinds of things setup in their car.

Thanks

Was the video camera installed recently? Is the socket that the power cable is plugged into connected directly to the car battery. This means the camera is powered on even when you turn off the engine and leave the car.

↡ Advertisement