Improve braking - change brake pad and skim rotors

Kohck

I find that my car brake is not very sensitive.

My car workshop advise me to change the brake pad and also to skim the rotors.

I was told that the time to change the brake pad will be when the brake give out a hissing sound when you pressed on the brake. This is because there is a inbuilt strip within the brake pad which will make a hissing sound when it had been worn down to a certain thickness. Otherwise, it is not necessary to change. Is this true?

Some people also claimed that we should never skim the rotors. May i know the reason why? My workshop claim that by skimming the rotors, it make the rotors more even, resulting in better grip when the brake pad pressed on the rotors. Is this true?

↡ Advertisement

True about the brake pad metal strip. It will grind with your rotor when it reach the minimum thickness.

You can skim your rotor once or twice in its lifespan so has not to exceed its minimum thickness. Skimming even out any groove due to uneven wear on the rotor so you dont need to buy a new rotor everytime there is groove on the rotor.

Skim the rotor, buy new pads, flush and replace brake fluids. Good to go.

It is dangerous if its skimmed below the minimum thickness of the rotor. The strength and heat dissipation of the rotor will be compromised.

Neutral Newbie

i suggest don skim the rotor, waste of money, either change rotors or just bear with it and get better pads. can find cheap and good rotors online, try googling

Turbocharged

Maybe it is braking point not high enough or the hose can consider changing to stainless steel kind. Just suggesting possibility, I'm no car doctor.

It is dangerous if its skimmed below the minimum thickness of the rotor. The strength and heat dissipation of the rotor will be compromised.

Skimming the rotors help a bit and thus the rotors can be used for some time before the minimum thickness is reached. After that the rotors need to be replaced or changed.

i suggest don skim the rotor, waste of money, either change rotors or just bear with it and get better pads. can find cheap and good rotors online, try googling

I would suggest stick to original or OEM rotors.

Get from stockists or OEM suppliers.

if skim properly, can be used again.

buy cheap rotors but unsure of quality? dangerous way to go about it. rather pay a little more and buy stock.

I find that my car brake is not very sensitive.

My car workshop advise me to change the brake pad and also to skim the rotors.

I was told that the time to change the brake pad will be when the brake give out a hissing sound when you pressed on the brake. This is because there is a inbuilt strip within the brake pad which will make a hissing sound when it had been worn down to a certain thickness. Otherwise, it is not necessary to change. Is this true?

Some people also claimed that we should never skim the rotors. May i know the reason why? My workshop claim that by skimming the rotors, it make the rotors more even, resulting in better grip when the brake pad pressed on the rotors. Is this true?

Ive been driving fr >30 years n never skimmed my rotors b4.

When the brake pads r worn I just change the pads n use carefully fr the first 100-200km to seat the new pads n then just drive as normal.

Some pads hv a wear indicator. They wil give a grinding noise when u brake. Then its time to change the pads. Some pads dun hv this so its better to visually check the pads every 20K km or so when u service yr car.

I hv driven a 19 year old Toyota Corona without ever skimming the rotors n ty lasted till I sold the car.

Now ws like to ask pple to skim the rotors cos ty make more money from u n when the discs get too thin, ty tell u to change the discs. Again more money fr them.

Sometimes yr brakes wil squeak. This can b solved by applying some hi-temp copper grease on the shims of the pads when u install. U wun get any squeak like that.

I only use Original or OEM pads n not those "sport" pads cos ty r sometimes rubbish.

some people claim that skimming the rotors is dangerous. I wonder why? Any idea?

Skim too much n the rotors become too thin n may crack. Not properly skimmed can cause more problems.

I never skimmed my rotors although I had some mechs tell me to do it. After I say NO, ty never ask me again.

"Sometimes yr brakes wil squeak. This can b solved by applying some hi-temp copper grease on the shims of the pads when u install. U wun get any squeak like that."

Hi,

My brakes will only squeak when cold. Isit becos of a lack of the grease? Where can I buy the grease?

Thanks alot [:)]

Probably no need to skim the rotors, and fortunately my mechs have not suggested it before, otherwise will be looking for a second opinion.

Just inspect during tyre rotation and change brake pads when needed - always original or stockist OEM. Less brake dust and more even braking power.

Ive been driving fr >30 years n never skimmed my rotors b4.

When the brake pads r worn I just change the pads n use carefully fr the first 100-200km to seat the new pads n then just drive as normal.

Some pads hv a wear indicator. They wil give a grinding noise when u brake. Then its time to change the pads. Some pads dun hv this so its better to visually check the pads every 20K km or so when u service yr car.

I hv driven a 19 year old Toyota Corona without ever skimming the rotors n ty lasted till I sold the car.

Now ws like to ask pple to skim the rotors cos ty make more money from u n when the discs get too thin, ty tell u to change the discs. Again more money fr them.

Sometimes yr brakes wil squeak. This can b solved by applying some hi-temp copper grease on the shims of the pads when u install. U wun get any squeak like that.

I only use Original or OEM pads n not those "sport" pads cos ty r sometimes rubbish.

Think your driving style is not the chiogster type. Those who like to drive fast and brake hard, of coz chances of them need to skim rotors or frequently change it will be high.

Drive normal and brake smoothly is the key to prolong brake pad and rotor life. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Think your driving style is not the chiogster type. Those who like to drive fast and brake hard, of coz chances of them need to skim rotors or frequently change it will be high.

Drive normal and brake smoothly is the key to prolong brake pad and rotor life. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

He is a smooth and safe driver. [cool]

Supercharged

i read that those slotted, drilled rotor are actually nothing more than just aesthetic..

they don't really help much..

slotted, wear out brake pads, but cool them too.. but brake pads usually can take high temperature..

drilled, structure become weak.. also wear out brake pads..

the most basic and fundamental of braking, is still Tyre, brake oil and brake pad

"Sometimes yr brakes wil squeak. This can b solved by applying some hi-temp copper grease on the shims of the pads when u install. U wun get any squeak like that."

Hi,

My brakes will only squeak when cold. Isit becos of a lack of the grease? Where can I buy the grease?

Thanks alot [:)]

Most ws wil hv the hi-temp copper grease or similar.

U can pay them a few bucks to apply fr u.

Ty sud hv applied the grease when u changed yr brake pads.

When I changed my brake pads at my JB ws, ty never apply n when I tell them to apply, at first ty act blur till I even tell them how to apply.

Then ty know cannot bluff this kotek so ty guai guai apply fr me. Hahaha. [laugh]

Ya I dun make it a habit to slam on the brakes. Usually I read the road ahead so I just brake lightly when needed.

My Corona last time the pads still a lot left but ty glazed over cos of my light braking till ty dun bite well N still I needed to change them. [:(]

↡ Advertisement