New Zealand tainted milk recall

Darthrevan

Turbocharged

New Zealand authorities have triggered a global recall of up to 1,000 tons of dairy products across seven countries after dairy giant Fonterra announced tests had turned up a type of bacteria that could cause botulism.

Full article source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/08/03/n...-global-recall/

China is the most affected, as it imports a lot of NZ milk products, due to its own not being trusted.

Singapore not the list, though Malaysia is. But maybe because market too small to be significant?

Anyways, Malaysian news publish reassurance from the company that their products in Malaysia is not under recall.

No mention of brand names involved too... just a check of a can of milk powder that I have now, shows that even for other manufacturers, the source of milk could be from several countries, NZ included [dizzy]

I remember from my childhood, the milk scare was after the Chernobyl nuclear accident in '83, that affected the milk products from Europe. Oz and NZ milk immediately gained popularity!

Edited by Sosaria

China is the most affected, as it imports a lot of NZ milk products, due to its own not being trusted.

Singapore not the list, though Malaysia is. But maybe because market too small to be significant?

Anyways, Malaysian news publish reassurance from the company that their products in Malaysia is not under recall.

No mention of brand names involved too... just a check of a can of milk powder that I have now, shows that even for other manufacturers, the source of milk could be from several countries, NZ included [dizzy]

I remember from my childhood, the milk scare was after the Chernobyl nuclear accident in '83, that affected the milk products from Europe. Oz and NZ milk immediately gained popularity!

How did you know Singapore is not in the list?

"New Zealand's Ministry of Primary Industries said Saturday that the tainted products include infant formula, sports drinks, protein drinks and other beverages. It said countries affected beside New Zealand include China, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Saudi Arabia."

"At a news conference Saturday, Fonterra repeatedly refused to divulge the companies, countries or specific products affected. "

Turbocharged

"New Zealand's Ministry of Primary Industries said Saturday that the tainted products include infant formula, sports drinks, protein drinks and other beverages. It said countries affected beside New Zealand include China, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Saudi Arabia."

"At a news conference Saturday, Fonterra repeatedly refused to divulge the companies, countries or specific products affected. "

That's why you read my post another time, I said "but..." maybe because market share of this company is small here, in comparison, so...

Anyway, wait for the official announcement. Should be nothing... just like back in '83 probably some of the milk is from cows eating grass growing on ground with traces of nuclear fallout but nothing happen! [laugh]

I first heard about this on the china news on cable tv. And I think china blow it up big big for propaganda purposes, to show that they are not the only ones with food contamination problems.

Singapore is affected by the NZ tained milk recall..details below

---------------------

Danone Dumex recalls 2 batches of PreciNutri Step 2 formula

Dairy food company Danone Dumex has initiated a precautionary recall of two batches of its PreciNutri Step 2 Follow-up Formula in Singapore.

The recall is only for batches with numbers FGMG2RG0900TNSG29 06043R1 and FGMG2RG1600TNSG29 06053R1.

This comes after New Zealand's dairy exporter Fonterra informed Danone Dumex that one of its ingredients had a potential quality issue, which means some of Danone Dumex's products packed in Malaysia may have been contaminated.

Earlier on Sunday, Danone Dumex Malaysia had recalled some of its infant formulas.

Dumex said there have been no reports of any illness linked to the consumption of its PreciNutri Step 2 Follow-up Formula product.

It added that none of the products tested and sold in Singapore indicate any contamination, and the recall is a precautionary measure.

The company said those who had bought products with the affected batch numbers (printed at the bottom of the product tins) can call its customer hotline at 1800-2653188 or email [email protected] for a full refund or exchange.

On Saturday, New Zealand authorities had issued a warning on whey protein concentrate (WPC) products manufactured by Fonterra as they were suspected to be tainted with cancer-causing bacteria that can cause botulism -- a potentially fatal illness which affects muscles and can cause intestinal and respiratory problems.

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singap...s-2/765108.html

Turbocharged

did AVA made any statements about this?

Actually this is quite confusing for singaporeans leh.... Even china already acted and banned some products.

I think our AVA not working in weekends??? I have a small kid drinking formula milk....

Edited by Wind30

Actually this is quite confusing for singaporeans leh.... Even china already acted and banned some products.

I think our AVA not working in weekends??? I have a small kid drinking formula milk....

your kid drinking Mamil Step 2 ?

AVA has never been working, only take lead from other countries, remember the pearl in the bubble tea from taiwan

highly paid never worked! :angry:

I thought I heard over FM95 news that AVA said we are not affected and they will continue to monitor the situation.... Sound like a standard model answer from a 10 years series assessment book.... like many mother bought for their scholar boy boy/girl girl

Turbocharged

Singapore has issued a PRECAUTIONARY recall of Dumex - more info here http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singap...s-2/765108.html

Turbocharged

If not sure if the infant formula is affects, can we just boiled the milk for precaution?

I think botulism cannot kill by boiling.

And do note - that for other bacteria, even those that can kill by boiling, it is not boil and then cool down - must boil for something like 7 or 9 minutes to kill all bacterium. (google it, not many know this)

TMD !

toto also never so zun...

there are like 100 different types of milk powder at NTUC...

zun zun, the recalled brand is the one my son drinks.

then zun zun, my house got 2 tins of the affected batch, heng its unopened.

went online to read further.... some kids finished the 3/4 of the tin already, before this recall.

↡ Advertisement