Dishwasher, now the machine not a person

Genie47

Dunno yet. Operational since Sat.

Right now, I just set it to the SG conditions using the manual.

The PUB page on water hardness has the water averaging at 59 mg/L of CaCO3 equivalent but the range is from 32-119 mg/L. I did some conversion and this 2.24-8.33 Clarke degrees courtesy of this site.

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/chrisshort/waterhard.htm

On the manual, it can safely use the H:0 setting but that will mean disabling the water softener unit in the dishwasher. So I set to H:01 which 9.0 Clarke degree starts.

You can add salt into the dishwasher receptical and this salt does not get used on your dishes. Basically it is used to recharge the water softener. It is basically a ion-exchange unit.

Since the water is soft, rinsing shouldn't produce any water spots but as a precaution, I put in the rinse aid this time. You can set the amount of rinse aid to use and I set it to the lowest available which is R:01. Going to zero will disable the rinse aid unit. I want my dishes to come out ghim ghim. :D

Going for the 30min quick wash today to see how effective it is on everyday normal use.

↡ Advertisement

Dunno yet. Operational since Sat.

Right now, I just set it to the SG conditions using the manual.

The PUB page on water hardness has the water averaging at 59 mg/L of CaCO3 equivalent but the range is from 32-119 mg/L. I did some conversion and this 2.24-8.33 Clarke degrees courtesy of this site.

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/chrisshort/waterhard.htm

On the manual, it can safely use the H:0 setting but that will mean disabling the water softener unit in the dishwasher. So I set to H:01 which 9.0 Clarke degree starts.

You can add salt into the dishwasher receptical and this salt does not get used on your dishes. Basically it is used to recharge the water softener. It is basically a ion-exchange unit.

Since the water is soft, rinsing shouldn't produce any water spots but as a precaution, I put in the rinse aid this time. You can set the amount of rinse aid to use and I set it to the lowest available which is R:01. Going to zero will disable the rinse aid unit. I want my dishes to come out ghim ghim. :D

Going for the 30min quick wash today to see how effective it is on everyday normal use.

Does that mean the water softener is not something like the detergent tablet that you need to buy all the time?

30 min quick wash uses the same volume of 10L or less water?

I wonder how much will the PUB bill adds up if say:

- cook everyday

- wash 30 min quick wash everyday instead of waiting for full load before washing. I don't think this is ideal in SG context since our humidity is pretty high and food goes bad as quickly as 1 afternoon. can't imagine opening the dishwasher to be welcomed by a "nice" smell when adding more things for washing. haha

Any other users who had gone through this? Can roughly estimate the additional bill you pay since you started using the dishwasher and how frequent you use them in a week?

Cheers,

Kimu

OK the most pek chek part about this purchase?

I bought it last week at 999 but this week the Courts sale has it going for 888.

hahaha that would definitely make anyone pekchek [laugh]

(edited)

OK I just finished the quick wash last night. Not something I would use. The most oily dish still had oil on it. Further to this, it does not dry the dishes so you do save on energy and water (Bosch uses the hot water to dry the dishes). So you have to take them out to dry.

So I would say if want economy use the Eco cycle which caps the water temperature to 50 deg C. There is a half load button which reduces the water and time which means reduced consumption. So the combi option for me from now on will be Eco+1/2 load.

The EU energy rating for this model is A+ at 294kW per annum. I believe this is based on the normal automatic cycle. So with Eco mode and 1/2 load, you will use less.

Fisher&Paykel's DishDrawer series (I drool with envy looking at them) draws 0.4kWh on Eco mode for a load. If you take the electricity costs at 26 cents/kW and suppose you use it 6 times a week, that is 62 cents a week. Count 52 weeks a year if you don't take vacations it is roughly $32 a year.

On normal without Eco, it runs 0.58kW and on intensive full heating to 70 deg C water it draws 0.68kW. This is independently tested by some gurus at some home-ec forum which is ironically dominated by men :D

I think it does save a lot more if you use hot water for the inlet. The Bosch instruction manual says it takes between 45-60 deg water. I might get the plumber to pipe that over for a more efficient clean. I use a gas on-demand heater at home.

My mom made some cheesy stuff and now I have baked on cheesy stuff to wash. Time to try INTENSTIVE MODE! [knife] But first I have to clean out the oven which she left a mess.

OK to answer you about salt. No, the salt is not used as a detergent. It is used to recharge the ion exchanger in the DW. I think it will run out very slowly because our water is soft to slightly hard if you take 8.7 Clarke degrees as the upper limit of soft.

No the DW will not smell. Smell comes from germs growing. I doubt germs will grow when the DW is working properly with the detergent at high temperature.

Edited by Genie47

(edited)

Interesting talk on the power consumption from the garden web.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/...2130919676.html

Yes, plumbing a hot water intake will reduce the energy consumption since the water heater which is much more efficient at water heating will take the load.

So the Bosch takes around 0.8-1.x kWh.

Edited by Genie47

Supercharged

i strongly recommend the karcher power jet

i use it to wash toilet

3 mins can finish washing

Hey Mustank, which model wld you recommend specifically?

Wash toilet as in glass shower panels, no more soap suds stain? No need to need those chemicals etc like Bleach etc on tiles?

Sry to flood you with so many qtns. I hate toilet duties cos I relied alot on bleach to clean the grout.

Hey Mustank, which model wld you recommend specifically?

Wash toilet as in glass shower panels, no more soap suds stain? No need to need those chemicals etc like Bleach etc on tiles?

Sry to flood you with so many qtns. I hate toilet duties cos I relied alot on bleach to clean the grout.

Bro, i am more than glad to help

i am using this for daily toilet washing

http://www.karcher.sg/sg/Products/Home__Ga...ss/16016520.htm

few things to note:

1) damm blroody noisy, you know like NOISY BOY!!! [grin] my unit is the toilet. i will close the window and door before i start if not neighbour comprain

2) $180 from ntuc AMK, use maybank family and firend card got 5% rebate [grin]

3) only 1 standard pressure, cannot adjust. the only way to adjust pressure is not to put the gun so near whatever you want to wash. karcher has a adjustable lance (the gun's barrel) but you need to pay an additional $50. i think no need lah. just stand further away lor [grin]

4) i use it to wash my glass panels in toilet. my panels are 10mm thick. if yours is any thinner than 10mm, i cannot comment :ph34r: it is powerful enough to remove dirt but not water stains

5) it is powerful enough to remove the black stains on the silicon on the edge of the glass panels but the solicon may be ripped off, power eh [grin]

6) frankly, with so much power on hand, i didnt use any detergent atll, no bleach no nothing, just raw power, karh karh shoot inside!!! [grin]

Bro, i am more than glad to help

i am using this for daily toilet washing

http://www.karcher.sg/sg/Products/Home__Ga...ss/16016520.htm

few things to note:

1) damm blroody noisy, you know like NOISY BOY!!! [grin] my unit is the toilet. i will close the window and door before i start if not neighbour comprain

2) $180 from ntuc AMK, use maybank family and firend card got 5% rebate [grin]

3) only 1 standard pressure, cannot adjust. the only way to adjust pressure is not to put the gun so near whatever you want to wash. karcher has a adjustable lance (the gun's barrel) but you need to pay an additional $50. i think no need lah. just stand further away lor [grin]

4) i use it to wash my glass panels in toilet. my panels are 10mm thick. if yours is any thinner than 10mm, i cannot comment :ph34r: it is powerful enough to remove dirt but not water stains

5) it is powerful enough to remove the black stains on the silicon on the edge of the glass panels but the solicon may be ripped off, power eh [grin]

6) frankly, with so much power on hand, i didnt use any detergent atll, no bleach no nothing, just raw power, karh karh shoot inside!!! [grin]

I use jet to wash from time to time as well. The downside is the whole bathroom will be "steamy" cos of all the water vapor from the jet. Best to remove toothbrushes etc before washing

I use jet to wash from time to time as well. The downside is the whole bathroom will be "steamy" cos of all the water vapor from the jet. Best to remove toothbrushes etc before washing

yes yes

need to remove everything you dont want to get wet from the bathroom before shooting inside!! [grin][laugh][laugh]

btw i think maybank 5% rebate at NTUC now only if u spend certain amount per annum. which is a lot. 12k/year...

dumping maybank now!!! [thumbsdown]

Where you hear from ? Maybank say don't have leh.

sorry i forgot. i'm not entirely correct. my mistake.

But they will not waive their annual fee of $80 unless u spend 12k per year

So if u spend a lot on your card still i guess good bah!

Annual Fee (w.e.f 1 April 2012)

Principal Card - S$80; waived when you spend a minimum of S$12,000 p.a.

Supplementary Card – Free

From 2011 onwards, the maximum cash rebate that Maybank Family & Friends Platinum MasterCard Cardmembers receive will be capped at S$600 calculated based on posted transactions in a calendar year, e.g. 1 January – 31 December.
Edited by Lala81

sorry i forgot. i'm not entirely correct. my mistake.

But they will not waive their annual fee of $80 unless u spend 12k per year

So if u spend a lot on your card still i guess good bah!

Annual Fee (w.e.f 1 April 2012)

Principal Card - S$80; waived when you spend a minimum of S$12,000 p.a.

Supplementary Card