Please suggest the most economical van?

Aerosmith

actually, i also know that euro van repair costs are high, i have a combo 1.3 auto and now the clutch/flywheel is rattling and stalling so often, repair is quoted $1.1k. i plan to let it drive till break then repair.

but when you all say jap van e.g. liteace is cheap on maintenance, just how cheap compared to euro?

my first choice has always been the caddy 1.9l tdi dsg but i have waited for 1 year no one selling on market.

so now second priority is either combo 1.7 or liteace. my only gripe with the combo is that it has a VERY high raised floorboard such that my rear passengers find it difficult to board and view outside.

someone mention the kangoo can hit 18km/l, that is really enticing, but i heard too many horror stories on the maintenance of kangoos.

If possible go & find more horrible stories from combo 1.7 owners, average owner will tell u that their repair bill on the fuel pump alone will cost 3K plus. Two of my frens owning a kangoo DCI 85 & caddy TDI DSG has regretted buying it because their vans will take "commission" from their earnings making out from their vans for repairs. [laugh]

Simple advice: want a economical, stay clear out of eurovans. Unless you are living in europe.

↡ Advertisement

If possible go & find more horrible stories from combo 1.7 owners, average owner will tell u that their repair bill on the fuel pump alone will cost 3K plus. Two of my frens owning a kangoo DCI 85 & caddy TDI DSG has regretted buying it because their vans will take "commission" from their earnings making out from their vans for repairs. [laugh]

Simple advice: want a economical, stay clear out of eurovans. Unless you are living in europe.

your friend who regretted his caddy wants to sell it? i interested.

your friend who regretted his caddy wants to sell it? i interested.

Power bro! Never say die attitude. Hope you find 1 soon.

It's always about my friend's friend's this and that. Take it from a owner, there's no major problem other than wear and tear items like shock absorbers, water pump, timing belt, etc. Aircon no problem at all after 6 years, never done any servicing to it. Only change aircon filter every 15K, that's it.

The power, fuel economy and joy of driving one beat the maintenance hands down.

Edited by Fcw75

Supersonic

Been driving a Caddy TDI DSG for 6 years, mileage 86000KM. This year road tax.....$300.

If you want a economical van, probably is those Suzuki Every.

I clocked 50k km a year in my Caddy. It drinks cheap diesel averaging $1.10 at 16km/L

Suzuki Every, I drove before. it's fc is about 16km/L, but it drinks expensive $2, 92 octane petrol.

The petrol would have killed me. :D

Power bro! Never say die attitude. Hope you find 1 soon.

It's always about my friend's friend's this and that. Take it from a owner, there's no major problem other than wear and tear items like shock absorbers, water pump, timing belt, etc. Aircon no problem at all after 6 years, never done any servicing to it. Only change aircon filter every 15K, that's it.

The power, fuel economy and joy of driving one beat the maintenance hands down.

Well, one man's meat is another man's poison. maybe your van is well taken care of.

FYI, I EVERYDAY see my fren's vans because we are working together as my sub contractor, not from any hearsay or watever rubbish. Agreed These vans are nice to drive but when problem comes, it give you big headache & long downtime. [cool]

Power, joy of driving & others is nothing to these vans, maximium speed is at most 70 km/h only. Take at centre lane & will get risk of being flamed as road hogging, take the left lane & risk of being sandwiched by the big trucks [laugh]

Well, one man's meat is another man's poison. maybe your van is well taken care of.

FYI, I EVERYDAY see my fren's vans because we are working together as my sub contractor, not from any hearsay or watever rubbish. Agreed These vans are nice to drive but when problem comes, it give you big headache & long downtime. [cool]

Power, joy of driving & others is nothing to these vans, maximium speed is at most 70 km/h only. Take at centre lane & will get risk of being flamed as road hogging, take the left lane & risk of being sandwiched by the big trucks [laugh]

Ok sure.

Supersonic

i looking for a used van. e.g. combo, caddy, doblo etc.

basically, i just need the cheapest cost.

low depreciation and high fuel economy and low maintenance costs. assume around 25,000 km mileage per year. can ignore insurance and road tax.

thanks.

What van to buy depends on who you talk to.

I wanted to buy a Kangoo before I started my business. A workshop boss I know dissuade me.

He drives a Caddy and somehow I got an old Caddy too.

Reason is mostly due to renewed COE.

Since then, I've put about 200k km on the van. It has its fair share of problems.

Had to replace, clutch, brake master pump, a faulty relay, a broken timing belt due to my ignorance but luckily suffer no other damage.

The van is 12 yrs old, odo has rolled over 300k for umpteen times.

If it's not considered reliable, I don't know what is.

In the course of my business, (changing batteries), I've talk to Urvan owner, I've talk to Dyna owner, I've talked to Hiace owner.

They had their fair share of problems too.

The Urvan owner had spent $3k for repairs, before his battery died due to a dead alternator.

People who talk about repairs eating into their profits, yes, he's one of them.

He runs a food business and had wanted the "best", paid for the "best" maintenance at Tan Chong, but he's still paying.

What van to buy depends on who you talk to.

I wanted to buy a Kangoo before I started my business. A workshop boss I know dissuade me.

He drives a Caddy and somehow I got an old Caddy too.

Reason is mostly due to renewed COE.

Is the workshop at AMK? if yes then I know who is the boss liao.

Edited by Keira

can you help me put a word out to your friend that i am interested in his van lol.

anyway, if i cannot get a caddy, then most probably it is between a combo or a liteace.

Neutral Newbie

no lowest cost....big jap van are cheap on maintenance but drink diesel...while contis are cheap on diesel but high on maintenance...so comes back to the same thing

but for me..given a choice..i'll buy another kangoo..

part replacements always happen at same intervals..and im getting a constant 20km/l with aircon off...even with aircon on...i'll get 18km/l...

and do get the previous gen ones..the new gen..parts will cost more...but it has a nicer interior

woa...my caddy sdi 2.0 only 15.5km/l

Neutral Newbie

Been driving a Caddy TDI DSG for 6 years, mileage 86000KM. This year road tax.....$300.

If you want a economical van, probably is those Suzuki Every.

caddy 2.0 sdi, 176,000 KM, van is 8.6 years olds, driven it for 3 years, from 120k to 176k, no exceptional maintenace.

Neutral Newbie

actually, i also know that euro van repair costs are high, i have a combo 1.3 auto and now the clutch/flywheel is rattling and stalling so often, repair is quoted $1.1k. i plan to let it drive till break then repair.

but when you all say jap van e.g. liteace is cheap on maintenance, just how cheap compared to euro?

my first choice has always been the caddy 1.9l tdi dsg but i have waited for 1 year no one selling on market.

so now second priority is either combo 1.7 or liteace. my only gripe with the combo is that it has a VERY high raised floorboard such that my rear passengers find it difficult to board and view outside.

someone mention the kangoo can hit 18km/l, that is really enticing, but i heard too many horror stories on the maintenance of kangoos.

In the one year, u mentioned, i saw 4-5 automatic caddy tdi in sgcarmart....where were u? [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

my caddy 2.0 sdi 176k, i have change, aircon dryer pipe due to clogged, central lock spoilt when initially bot second hand, change the shock absorber, change the clutch, change the cv joints, all quite normal change... lol

woa...my caddy sdi 2.0 only 15.5km/l

did i forget to add...i clear carbon...almost every other day oops lol...and i still wonder y i can get such good fc :D:D

↡ Advertisement