FireStorm Ignition Coil Booster

Stinkray

It is quite remarkable how some "experts" here could pass judgement without any idea whatsoever about the product.

No doubt there are a lot of snake oils out there but if you want to condemn something, please do it if you or at least the people you know are affected by it. Spark plug burnt, diode melt down, engine overhaul ? my foot!

After reading so many positive feedback in lowyat forum, I decided to risk about SGD 200 to get the super version. I use it for > 3 months now and I do not have anything remotely described by some in this thread. In fact I am glad that I got and it's one of the better aftermarket "snake oils" I am using.

I do not intend to promote the product, just that DON'T JUDGE, and you will not be judged.

↡ Advertisement

You can only put so much low voltage to get so much high voltage, based on your ignition coil.

Alternator output already pushed the low voltage to 14Vdc.

Pushing it higher and you risk overheated and damaged coil and shutdown of engine.

A spark only needs that much high tension to form in the gap and burn the fuel/air mix.

Raising high tension 10x doesn't mean you get anything more, besides stressing the coil.

Power comes from fuel/air mix exploding at the correct timing, not how much thunder and lightning you can squeeze into the combustion chamber.

but years ago on my cb400, i installed something similar, the gains can be slightly felt >7k rpm.

Oh u mean most stock alternators for cars can already increase volt to 14 up from 12?

but years ago on my cb400, i installed something similar, the gains can be slightly felt >7k rpm.

Oh u mean most stock alternators for cars can already increase volt to 14 up from 12?

Alternator is always putting out 14V.

This powers all the electrical devices in the car, as well as charge the battery.

So what's present at the low side of the ignition coil is already 14V.

Ignition coils, spark plugs, spark plug cables all run very hot.

They do breakdown after some time.

Raising the voltage, just increase failure rate.

What a spark ignition (petrol) engine requires is a spark to be present to combust fuel/air mixture.

Power comes from igniting the mixture at the correct timing.

A bigger spark does nothing more. In theory, you only need the lowest high tension enough to create the spark.

Compare to a compression (diesel) engine, there is no spark at all. It doesn't mean there's no power.

Spark is NOT equal to power.

• Praise 2

Alternator is always putting out 14V.

This powers all the electrical devices in the car, as well as charge the battery.

So what's present at the low side of the ignition coil is already 14V.

Ignition coils, spark plugs, spark plug cables all run very hot.

They do breakdown after some time.

Raising the voltage, just increase failure rate.

What a spark ignition (petrol) engine requires is a spark to be present to combust fuel/air mixture.

Power comes from igniting the mixture at the correct timing.

A bigger spark does nothing more. In theory, you only need the lowest high tension enough to create the spark.

Compare to a compression (diesel) engine, there is no spark at all. It doesn't mean there's no power.

Spark is NOT equal to power.

Thanks. i always assumed it was 12V since the car charger port is 12v.

Guess I may remove the next time i change batt. I installed a 15.3 v booster. But was foc as the prev car owner remove & pass to ws b4 scrapping. So I took and use.

maybe can sell it?

used it for 2 months on my proton, doesn't help with my FC..

rev up quicker but hardly feel any gain, probably i'm numb to it.

Supercharged

i'm a believer of better spark means better combustion and better FC (less wastage). balance of Fire, Air and Fuel.

i think this product is like the old time marolly coil or the cheetah spark booster. (only old man like me knows)

i had tried both and they improved my car power and FC.

Lets hear it from NGK, one of the biggest spark plug companies out there :

FAQs - Spark Plugs

Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?

A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.

Source : http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqpower.asp?mode=nml

I mean, the power from the engine is created from the gas expansion from fuel air combustion, as long as the spark is enough to start the combustion, I don't see why a bigger spark does anything? It is like you know those traditional red stick of dynamite? Do you think using a bigger fuse to detonate the stick would give you a bigger bang?

I am no automotive engineer/scientist, but I wouldn't install this thing even if it was free.

Probably some people might have seen improvements, but that could be because it was an old car and the ignition system was already half rosak. Better to spend your money on a new stock ignition coil or distributor or set of plugs IMHO.

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 1/2/2014 at 10:38 AM, Ngseeming said:

It is quite remarkable how some "experts" here could pass judgement without any idea whatsoever about the product.

No doubt there are a lot of snake oils out there but if you want to condemn something, please do it if you or at least the people you know are affected by it. Spark plug burnt, diode melt down, engine overhaul ? my foot!

After reading so many positive feedback in lowyat forum, I decided to risk about SGD 200 to get the super version. I use it for > 3 months now and I do not have anything remotely described by some in this thread. In fact I am glad that I got and it's one of the better aftermarket "snake oils" I am using.

I do not intend to promote the product, just that DON'T JUDGE, and you will not be judged.

I know this is old liao but I believe many who doubt are making sound judgement.

A snake oil is a snake oil, very easy to spot as they overpromise the results to make you feel good and also make you pay so much for nothing.

See what these booster can do to your car...

Screenshot_20200525-112506_WhatsApp.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1