Murder charge against NSF reduced to culpable homicide

Hydrocarbon

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...lpable-homicide

A full-time national serviceman originally facing the death penalty for stabbing a mother of two to death during the Mid-Autumn Festival three years ago will escape the gallows.

The prosecution has indicated that it will reduce the murder charge against Soh Wee Kian, 23, to that of culpable homicide, which carries either life imprisonment and caning, or up to 20 years' jail and a fine or caning.

Firstly, I pity the family of the lady he murdered. Secondly, I feel a little scared that there's a chance he might be walking amongst us in 20 years or less.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

You need to read up on the penal code and understand why the prosecution reduced the charges to culpable homicide not amounting to murder, which was what happened for this case, before you conclude that this NSF is dangerous [rolleyes]

Don't jump to conclusions if you have not the slightest idea of the circumstances behind this incident (tragic it is).

(edited)

You need to read up on the penal code and understand why the prosecution reduced the charges to culpable homicide not amounting to murder, which was what happened for this case, before you conclude that this NSF is dangerous [rolleyes]

Don't jump to conclusions if you have not the slightest idea of the circumstances behind this incident (tragic it is).

Firstly, I didn't jump to any conclusions about him being dangerous. I did mention I was scared that there's a chance that he might be walking amongst us in less than 20 years, but that's hardly the same. And I don't know the penal code, other than what was in the articles / certain more famous ones, whether he's dangerous or not, it's up to you to decide.

Secondly, why I feel the way I feel is because I do know him, as I served in the Navy as an NSF the same time he was in the unit. He was my senior when I went in, but we did do duty together a few times before (on rotational basis). Though I don't know him well, or the exact details of the case other than reported in the newspaper and what the unit gossip was about, I do feel worried because I've worked with him, and he gives me a very creepy feel.

*Edited out some of the events, as I don't think I should give details on things I can't currently proof* Anyway, the deleted portions are mostly what he went DB for.

I don't have proof of any of the above allegations, it's mostly from memory, but feel free to check with other RSN personnel who was in the same unit before he was arrested for this case.

*Edit 2: Crap, I wanted my 777th post to be on something nicer.

Edited by Hydrocarbon

Supercharged

Can do some link up ... interesting to know why they reduce the charge.. thanks..

Why are you scared of him? Because he's creepy?

Because of what he did, what got him into DB (the portion I've edited out, and don't think I should post up). Because I think he's disturbed, and though from the article, it seems that they are only able to convict him on this one case, there are similar cases of slashing that he's linked to. And if that's true, I would be more than a little worried if I do see him around the area or even walking free. Also, because I live near the area where the crimes he's link to have taken place, and my gf fits into the profile of his victims.

Then again, it's just my words and feelings. Don't need to trust what I've said.

Turbocharged

Can do some link up ... interesting to know why they reduce the charge.. thanks..

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/search/disp...Btype%3DactsAll

They won't show the evidences but suffice to say the evidences point to culpable homicide not amounting to murder: hence the reduced charges. Read sections 300 and 304.

Edited by Porker

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...lpable-homicide

A full-time national serviceman originally facing the death penalty for stabbing a mother of two to death during the Mid-Autumn Festival three years ago will escape the gallows.

The prosecution has indicated that it will reduce the murder charge against Soh Wee Kian, 23, to that of culpable homicide, which carries either life imprisonment and caning, or up to 20 years' jail and a fine or caning.

Firstly, I pity the family of the lady he murdered. Secondly, I feel a little scared that there's a chance he might be walking amongst us in 20 years or less.

Mostly likely they defence have a good case for pleading insanity, and the prosecution knows that. That's why a better option would be to reduce to culpable homicide.

Anyway, very long jail term, especially in solitary confinement might even be more painful than death sentence. Nowadays, they have made a science out of judicial hanging, so that the death process is shift and painless. It's the hours and minutes leading to the hanging that might be a little tortuous, but the end will come quickly.

Solitary confinement without release is probably much worse because there is no quick respite except death.

↡ Advertisement