Fatal Accident @ CTE towards SLE (AMK Ave 5 exit)

Maersk1

In a car one is a sitting duck and still target. Outside at least can watch out and take maneuver actions.

Yes and no. How fast can you react and move if a car hurtling at 90kmh decides to make a sudden exit hitting your car? 90kmh = 25m per second. Even 60kmh is 16.7m per second. Ussain Bolt's world record puts him at 10.4m per As second. As mentioned it's situational. If you can't get far behind a guardrail, then being in the car is the next safest option.

Edited by Elfenstar
↡ Advertisement

Ok I am convinced. Mathematically that is. But I still feel sitting inside a car is not exactly assuring. It's like you don't know what is coming from behind, while one outside can see what is coming in front.

Edited by Ingenius

So being physically hit directly is safer than being hit while being suspended in a metal cage that is designed to be take some hits while protecting the occupants? Yes, it has limits, but it's limits are far higher than a human body. As for the other bits, please see my post to Uncle Genie.

The car will block you if you are say about 20m from your stalled car in front. I will take my chances based on my earlier reply.

So is it safer to stay inside car, or outside?

Depend in your car damage capacity and the other car/lorlee/bus damage capacity [:p]

The car will block you if you are say about 20m from your stalled car in front. I will take my chances based on my earlier reply.

20m is a good distance from your car, but isn't that enough space for a kuku to totally miss your car and hit you directly? [laugh] Btw you know 20m is more than the width of 5 expressway lanes right?

Edited by Elfenstar

Ok. I gather from the discussion here that perhaps lta should make gaps between guardrail for people to go behind them while waiting for emas or aa to arrive.

Edited by Ingenius

Ok I am convinced. Mathematically that is. But I still feel sitting inside a car is not exactly assuring. It's like you don't know what is coming from behind, while one outside can see what is coming in front.

It's not. That's why being far behind a guardrail is the best. Even better if you're both far behind a guardrail and your car is next to that section of guardrail. However it's not always possible.

Yeah but I see often behind the guardrail is long gung.

Usually they're perpendicular to the road, but if not then climb in and out lah. Is looking glam or safety more important. If unable to climb the rail and/or longkang, then being in the car is next safest. Put in neutral, lightly pull up the handbrake, and point the wheel so that the curb/guardrail/wall, etc will guide the car forward if hit from behind. You'll want it to roll and not stay still or get stuck if you get hit from behind.

Usually they're perpendicular to the road, but if not then climb in and out lah. Is looking glam or safety more important. If unable to climb the rail and/or longkang, then being in the car is next safest. Put in neutral, lightly pull up the handbrake, and point the wheel so that the curb/guardrail/wall, etc will guide the car forward if hit from behind. You'll want it to roll and not stay still or get stuck if you get hit from behind.

I would like lta to comment on this. We need some sort of guide lines as everyday there are people who are stranded on road shoulders. This accident could have been prevented then.

Edited by Ingenius

20m is a good distance from your car, but isn't that enough space for a kuku to totally miss your car and hit you directly? [laugh]

I'd take my chances. Having a lorry/truck barreling into my car with me inside is not something impossible.

I'd take my chances. Having a lorry/truck barreling into my car with me inside is not something impossible.

It's also not impossible for a driver to not noticing a tall thin object vs a larger wide one with blinking lights. However it is your safety and those of your passengers not mine. If I was to move 20 meters, I would be totally off the road and not ahead of my car. Btw, how would you do that without turning your back to the traffic flow?

Edited by Elfenstar

Twincharged

I feel that you should leave the car and walk against traffic some distance away and look out for oncoming traffic. Much better than staying in the car. This way if someone hits ur car most debris will be thrown forward which will most likely be further away from where you are standing.

If you are not in the car and watching oncoming traffic, you have a higher chance of moving away before being hit. If you are in the car its harder to watch for oncoming traffic and even if you see a car heading straight towards you without any sign of slowing down, you wouldn't have much time to move anywhere.

Edited by Nzy

Saw it in the news this morning.

The mistake all the victims did was get out of the car.

I had a tire puncture before and on the expressway. I came out to change the tire while my family stayed in the car. Hot or not, they have to stay in the car. It is the safest protection on a busy expressway while I risk it all changing the tire. At least the whole family won't perish. Wife complained it was hot and I told her to get back inside for safety.

Second time it happened was in my BIL's car. Whole family and MIL inside. Again, me and BIL came out to change the tire while everyone stayed inside.

If full car, the jack can take the weight meh? :wacko:[confused]

20m is a good distance from your car, but isn't that enough space for a kuku to totally miss your car and hit you directly? [laugh] Btw you know 20m is more than the width of 5 expressway lanes right?

How about you? staying put in the car?

Turbocharged

the news report driver was 23 years old boy driving his dad car. for a young driver please dun try to change a punctured tyre in the middle of the highway, always exit the highway and to a small road, then leave the car and call AA.

call me ah gua but I never change a tyre since I joined AA.

Not lao ah gua?

What Nzy says sounds reasonable. Debris get thrown forward, staying way behind the broken down car makes sense.

But if it's your day to go, take cover anywhere also will kenna...

Like the video of how a car lost control on the extreme right lane and veered all the way to the left and hit a stationary motorcyclist on the road shoulder along PIE (Changi) near the Parc Olympia condo.