Fatal Accident @ CTE towards SLE (AMK Ave 5 exit)

Maersk1

So is it safer to stay inside car, or outside?

I wouldn't stay in the car.

I'll take my chances of walking to behind a tree, a guard rail.

If you stay in the car, you are just waiting for fate.

The car is not going to protect you against a speeding bullet anyways.

I would only stay in the car, if I'm in a open field with lightning storms.

The car protects you like a faraday cage bcoz of the metal.

...but it's not going to stop speeding cars, trucks from smashing into you.

Well, you take your pick.

↡ Advertisement

How about you? staying put in the car?

I would move behind the guardrail and call EMAS for assistance. If in this incident. I would have moved off the expressway slowly before getting out. Blown tyre only afterall. If no chance to drive off, I would get behind the guardrail at the exit and called EMAS. IF I cannot get off the shoulder, I would stay in my car. As mentioned, neutral, slight handbrake (just so it won't roll), and point my car in such a way that if hit from behind, my car would move off, then the side of my car would rub against the curb/wall/barrier/guardrail and slow down gradually.

from LTA source - Vehicle Breakdown ( this scenario for tunnel )

•Switch on the hazard lights

•Move your vehicle quickly to the road shoulder

•Place the breakdown sign (a red equilateral triangle) 60m behind your vehicle

•Open the trunk and hood to alert other drivers

•Stay some distance away in front of your vehicle, or get on to the raised platform at the side

•Do not allow passengers to stay in/ stand behind your vehicle

•Use the nearest SOS telephone to get help from the Operations Control Centre (OCC) or dial 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255 582) for assistance

As per normal, LTA is backdated. The general consensus in developed places with actual accident tests etc is that preferably you get off (the expressway) or stay in (the car). Never stay out (of the car) but on (the expressway).

They're also possibly the only people in the world who would advise you walk while on an expressway to place the warning triangle......

Btw, this is LTA's take for accidents and breakdowns on a normal expressway

"What you should do when your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident along the expressway:

Switch on the hazard lights.

If your vehicle can still be moved, get it onto the road shoulder quickly.

Place the breakdown sign (a red equilateral triangle) 60m behind the vehicle.

Open the trunk and hood to alert other drivers.

Stay at the downstream of the vehicle, and behind the vehicle impact guardrail (VIG) if possible.

Do not allow passengers to remain in or around the vehicle."

and this is their take for accidents and breakdowns in a tunnel

"Emergencies in Road Tunnels

MainPar.14874.collapsePar.11523.Image.gif

What you should do during emergencies in the road tunnels:

VEHICLE BREAKDOWN

Switch on the hazard lights.

Move to the extreme left side of the road, if the vehicle is still movable.

Use the nearest SOS telephone to get help from the Operations Control Centre (OCC)

separator

ACCIDENT

If there are no injuries, drive out of the tunnel immediately. Discuss details relating to the accident at a safe location away from the tunnel.

Use the nearest SOS telephone to get help if there is an injury, or if your vehicle cannot move."

Call the Operations Control Centre (OCC) at 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255 582).

Edited by Elfenstar

I did change tyre myself in malacca cos AAS dun go there [:(]

Did you call AAM??? They have a deal to look after our cars when we're there (and vice versa).

I won't dare to argue with you, but wish to advise that all on-board must have safety belt ON too, you won't know how big is that blind bats flying over ? [:(]

Wearing safety belt is a must but based on my earlier encounter where the speeding truck just smashed onto me, I do find myself safer inside the car.

After that "smash", there were only dents to my car while the front of the truck went crumbled right in.

I must say it depends on the car actually.

Wearing safety belt is a must but based on my earlier encounter where the speeding truck just smashed onto me, I do find myself safer inside the car.

After that "smash", there were only dents to my car while the front of the truck went crumbled right in.

V W 万 岁 万 万 岁 ! [laugh]

I also feel that for normal urban roads, with speed limit of 50km/h or less, it's alright to put the triangle breakdown sign. But on an expressway, walking 60m behind to put the traingle, this is crazy.

Turbocharged

if EMAS come and tow our broken down vehicle, do we have to pay them a fee? if so, how much they charge?

if EMAS come and tow our broken down vehicle, do we have to pay them a fee? if so, how much they charge?

EMAS will tow ur vehicle to the nearest public carpark n from there, u do ur arrangement to get ur vehicle towed to ur workshop.

At least thats for my case few yrs back.

Really saddened by this news. RIP.

For those who have always curious about how a MPV perform in rear ended collision, the pic is a good answer. Drive safe everyone.

I would also ascertain what type of car it is as would not want to be in a situation where the NTUC lorry swallowed the tincan.

Neutral Newbie

i tell you i have a jinx of puncture tyres

in my driving history of 12 years, i had experienced 6 puncek tyres already

and guess what? 3 happened in last and this year

damn suay [rifle] [rifle]

so far, i kenna 4-5 also...haha

quite easy kenna, jus one screw go in, puncek, this is the culprit most of the time, except once, i hit the road kerb due turn right, rear right wheel kenna side wall, unable to repair.

Neutral Newbie

the news report driver was 23 years old boy driving his dad car. for a young driver please dun try to change a punctured tyre in the middle of the highway, always exit the highway and to a small road, then leave the car and call AA.

call me ah gua but I never change a tyre since I joined AA.

i would have on my hazard light, drive at 20km/hr and exit the f--king cte thru AMK ave 5 to small road and do change... the tyre rims can tahan it... :)

the last time i kenna a puncek tyre, i drive it 200metres to a safe spot to change.

Neutral Newbie

Actually, something like that happened to a friend of mine.

His car broke down a few years back.

A Japanese SUV.

He actually called a tow truck.

While they were hooking up the car, a lorry/car smashed into the tow truck, killing the tow truck guy.

As for him, he lost his legs..

Super sad story..

ohmy goodness, i think i read that story, the wife was unhurt right? that's quite recent

Neutral Newbie

Actually, after what happened to my friend, i take a diff approach.

I had a flat on ECP like last year.

So I slowed to a crawl, turned on my hazard lights, turned out at the next exit and parked there, called Volvo Assist, because cut is on side wall.

Frankly, I couldn't care less for a few hundred dollars for a tyre/rim. Life more important

that's smart [:)]

Neutral Newbie

there was once i kena punctured rear tyre when i just entered CTE tunnel, bukit timah exit.

felt the sluggish-ness and vibration but the car still can drive.

i managed to drive until i exit at chinatown, then go to a safe place to change tire.

however, the tire was damaged until beyond repair by then, still better than change tire or stop the car in CTE tunnel and create jam [laugh]

Edited by GPunto
↡ Advertisement