Tesla Model S

Porker

Turbocharged

Tesla was here, I spoke to one of the reps.

But it just cant work economically for them and they departed.

One of the hopeful projects was converting petrol driven engines to electric ones.

Imagine what it could have been for car owners here.

As a country, a legislation, an economy, we were simply not ready.

maybe in another 20 yrs.... -_-

Anohter interesting video for this model

Considering that one full charge can go 200-300km, it is very viable for Singapore driving. 200-300km one charge could easily last most drivers 1-2 weeksof daily driving in SGP.

Furthermore, with no clutches or gears, perfect for our start stop traffic. Our start stop traffic would have been less efficient for petrol engines.

Past electric cars have been crap in looks and performance, but Tesla model S look like the first very feasible and practical electrical car that look really great.

Edited by Icedbs
↡ Advertisement

sg gov calling for greener environment, yet they do not really give much incentives for both the manufacturer and also the consumers...sad case...

hk is doing very well at the moment, gov is supporting EVs very well. Sg is a small area, and there wont be any range anxiety unless you're travelling up north. Very good place to have EV IMHO....

Came and left. You can Google to find out more about the history of Tesla in Singapore. ..

• Praise 3

This was in 2011

Tesla Motors will next week pack up its office in Singapore having failed to secure any kind of tax break for its Roadster electric sports car. Tesla came to Singapore believing they would be able to secure some kind of 'green tax incentive' from the Singapore Government which would make their car considerably cheaper than the petrol powered competition. For those who are unaware of the cost of ownership of cars in Singapore there's a 100% import tax and a hefty 'Certificate of Entitlement' which makes owning a car a significant undertaking, for example a new Audi A4 2.0T costs S$224,000 (US$175,000), a Porsche 911 Carrera S some S$415,000 (US$324,000). Without incentives the Tesla Roadster Sport was going for around S$450,000 (US$351,000) and that was just too rich for even the most keen electric power enthusiast.

The official line from the Economic Development Board of Singapore was that the Roadster had 'not met technical requirements' (no detail on exactly what that means). By contrast the Tesla Roadster is tax exempt in both Hong Kong and Malaysia and attracts a 2.6 million Yen (US$30,000) rebate in Japan. Lets hope Singapore and Tesla change their mind before Tesla bring their competitively priced Model S sedan to market. For what will be some of the only photos of a Tesla Roadster Sport in Singapore check our review.

http://www.zemotoring.com/news/2011/02/tesla-abandon-singapore-no-thanks-to-the-government?bcsi-ac-b5f45ffb1099c547=24EC087000000303wrmYEilwCHzwHBRUSIIFjbKtX52HAgAAAwMAAFnHkQAIBwAACgEAAErqDQA=

This was in 2011

Tesla Motors will next week pack up its office in Singapore having failed to secure any kind of tax break for its Roadster electric sports car.  Tesla came to Singapore believing they would be able to secure some kind of 'green tax incentive' from the Singapore Government which would make their car considerably cheaper than the petrol powered competition.  For those who are unaware of the cost of ownership of cars in Singapore there's a 100% import tax and a hefty 'Certificate of Entitlement' which makes owning a car a significant undertaking, for example a new Audi A4 2.0T costs S$224,000 (US$175,000), a Porsche 911 Carrera S some S$415,000 (US$324,000).  Without incentives the Tesla Roadster Sport was going for around S$450,000 (US$351,000) and that was just too rich for even the most keen electric power enthusiast.

The official line from the Economic Development Board of Singapore was that the Roadster had 'not met technical requirements' (no detail on exactly what that means).  By contrast the Tesla Roadster is tax exempt in both Hong Kong and Malaysia and attracts a 2.6 million Yen (US$30,000) rebate in Japan.  Lets hope Singapore and Tesla change their mind before Tesla bring their competitively priced Model S sedan to market.  For what will be some of the only photos of a Tesla Roadster Sport in Singapore check our review.

http://www.zemotoring.com/news/2011/02/tesla-abandon-singapore-no-thanks-to-the-government?bcsi-ac-b5f45ffb1099c547=24EC087000000303wrmYEilwCHzwHBRUSIIFjbKtX52HAgAAAwMAAFnHkQAIBwAACgEAAErqDQA=

No wonder I see so many Tesla Model S in Hong Kong. Quite a few are driven by ladies too.

Spotted one white one along Moulmein road yesterday afternoon. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the T emblem on the grill, but when the whole car went pass me on the opposite side of the road, confirmed is Model S.

Spotted one white one along Moulmein road yesterday afternoon. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the T emblem on the grill, but when the whole car went pass me on the opposite side of the road, confirmed is Model S.

Guess only pi import den can get one? Lol. Don't even know any pi doing tesla now hahaha.

Twincharged
It is a big disgrace that Singapore which is known for minimal red tape made him go thru so many hoops to get the car on the road. Furthermore get charged 15k as cevs penalty.

All thanks to our most useless stat board. LTA! Just when I thought their stupidity cannot get worse this report really really double confirms it.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

7 long months to get a Tesla into Singapore

So much "No Action Talk Only" (NATO) about going "GREEN"

".....they admitted that they had never tested an electric car before so they did not know how to proceed," Joe told Stuff Singapore." 

http://news.asiaone.com/news/transport/guy-only-legal-person-drive-tesla-spore-and-he-went-through-lot-it

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

when charging infrastructure is ready. else tough.

This infrastructure will not be ready even after SG100 !! :yuush:  :yuush:

More petrol tax is the way to go !!  

I have a class 2B licence which allows me to ride motorcycle up to 200cc. Since i can't find any info on electric motorbike equivalent, i called TP.

TP tell me to call LTA.

I am not surprise with this sort of taichi.

(edited)

Hi folks read this and weep.  This is political greed and bureaucracy at its very worst. Well Done PAP!!!!

ADMIN I AM SORRY please help me delete the previous treads.  I did not mean to spam. I am sorry

http://www.stuff.tv/sg/features/be-prepared-these-roadblocks-if-you-want-drive-tesla-in-singapore

by 

Few cars in memory have generated the kind of buzz that Tesla's electric cars have made.

Since bursting onto the scene in 2008 with the Tesla Roadster electric sports-car, the California-based car maker has become a byword for showcasing the potential of electric cars in an internal combustion engine dominated world. 

Tesla's follow up to the Roadster, the Model S sedan is considered by many to be one of the best four-door cars in the world right now. With its killer looks, great ride, futuristic tech and an electric motor that produces basically zero emissions, you would expect the Model S to be selling like hotcakes in a country like Singapore.

So why aren't they? Well, the answer is quite complicated.

In 2011, Tesla did indeed open an office here. But less than six months later, it departed our shores without selling a single car.

The logic for Tesla would be that, like in countries such as Japan and Malaysia, the Tesla's electric nature would entitle it to receive rebates from the government due to the vehicle being non-polluting. In fact, our government does have such a system, which offers subsidises of S$15,000 if you drive a green vehicle.

However, for some reason, Tesla was not granted this subsidy, seriously hurting efforts to sell the cars here. According to the government, Tesla's cars did not meet certain "technical requirements" for the rebate.

Since then, owning a Tesla in Singapore has been just a pipe dream. That is, until a few weeks ago when IT-professional Joe Nguyen managed to get his own Tesla Model S licenced for the Singapore roads.

We sat down and spoke to Nguyen about the nearly year-long battle against a quagmire of red tape and bureaucracy that he had to go through to drive his beloved Model S, which his son nicknamed, Tessie.