Lee Kuan Yew on fate of Singapore in 100 years' time

Viceroymenthol

Couldn't find this on MCF. If it's been posted before, my deepest apologies.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...s-time-20130811

On Aug 22, 2012, I received a thank-you card from a Singaporean by the name of James Ow-Yeong Keen Hoy.

From his elegant, cursive handwriting, I guess he must at least be in his 50s. Young people these days prefer to type, and when they do write, they simply do not write as beautifully.

He wrote: "My family is deeply grateful and has benefited from your magnificent leadership and solid contributions that have enabled our nation to achieve peace, happiness, progress, prosperity, solidarity and security all these good years. A big thank you!

"May we have the honour to sincerely wish you, Sir, peace and joy, wisdom and longevity and all the very best in the coming good years. And may our beloved country be blissfully and richly blessed and be mercifully safeguarded now and always. God bless."

I quote at length from this card to highlight the enormity of the mindset shift, from an older generation, including this writer, his peers and his seniors, to a younger one that takes for granted Singapore's affluence.

People like Mr Ow-Yeong have seen Singapore develop from the unsettling 1960s, when hardship and poverty were still the rule rather than the exception, to today's vibrant and cosmopolitan Singapore, providing well-paying jobs to a highly educated population.

Many older Singaporeans also progressed from living in shanty huts to high-rise apartments with present-day conveniences and surrounded by safe neighbourhoods.

They have a good understanding of the nation's imperatives - what it took for us to get here and what it would take to keep up our success - as well as its vulnerabilities.

The younger voters do not share those views. Having been born into a Singapore that had in many ways already arrived, they see all that is around them - a working system generating stability and wealth - and they ask: "Where is the miracle?"...

Even as things stand, we have regretfully shifted the system away from attracting the best talent through reductions to ministerial pay.

If I were a Cabinet minister at the time the change came up for discussion, I would have stood firm. But the younger generation of ministers decided to go with the trend.

It is true that no country in the world pays ministers as we do. But it is also true that no other island has developed like Singapore: sparkling, clean, safe, with no corruption and low crime rates.

You can walk the streets or jog at night. Women will not be mugged. Police do not take bribes, and if they are offered bribes, there are consequences for the ones offering.

None of this came about by coincidence. It took the construction of an ecosystem that requires highly paid ministers.

With every pay reduction, the sacrifice that a minister makes - giving up his profession or his banking job - becomes greater.

Some will eventually tell themselves: "I don't mind doing this for half a term, 21/2 years, as a form of national service. But beyond that, it has to be: thanks but no thanks."

The final outcome would be a revolving-door government, which will inevitably lack a deep understanding of the issues or the incentive to think about problems in a long-term manner.

Will Singapore be around in 100 years? I am not so sure. America, China, Britain, Australia - these countries will be around in 100 years. But Singapore was never a nation until recently.

An earlier generation of Singaporeans had to build this place from scratch - and what a fine job we have done.

When I led the country, I did what I could to consolidate our gains. So too did Goh Chok Tong.

And now, under Lee Hsien Loong and his team, the country will do well for at least the next 10 to 15 years.

But after that, the trajectory that we take will depend on the choices made by a younger generation of Singaporeans.

Whatever those choices are, I am absolutely sure that if Singapore gets a dumb government, we are done for. This country will sink into nothingness.

↡ Advertisement

On Aug 22, 2012, I received a thank-you card from a Singaporean by the name of James Ow-Yeong Keen Hoy.

From his elegant, cursive handwriting, I guess he must at least be in his 50s. Young people these days prefer to type, and when they do write, they simply do not write as beautifully.

He wrote: "My family is deeply grateful and has benefited from your magnificent leadership and solid contributions that have enabled our nation to achieve peace, happiness, progress, prosperity, solidarity and security all these good years. A big thank you!

"May we have the honour to sincerely wish you, Sir, peace and joy, wisdom and longevity and all the very best in the coming good years. And may our beloved country be blissfully and richly blessed and be mercifully safeguarded now and always. God bless."

I quote at length from this card to highlight the enormity of the mindset shift, from an older generation, including this writer, his peers and his seniors, to a younger one that takes for granted Singapore's affluence.

People like Mr Ow-Yeong have seen Singapore develop from the unsettling 1960s, when hardship and poverty were still the rule rather than the exception, to today's vibrant and cosmopolitan Singapore, providing well-paying jobs to a highly educated population.

Many older Singaporeans also progressed from living in shanty huts to high-rise apartments with present-day conveniences and surrounded by safe neighbourhoods.

They have a good understanding of the nation's imperatives - what it took for us to get here and what it would take to keep up our success - as well as its vulnerabilities.

The younger voters do not share those views. Having been born into a Singapore that had in many ways already arrived, they see all that is around them - a working system generating stability and wealth - and they ask: "Where is the miracle?"...

Even as things stand, we have regretfully shifted the system away from attracting the best talent through reductions to ministerial pay.

If I were a Cabinet minister at the time the change came up for discussion, I would have stood firm. But the younger generation of ministers decided to go with the trend.

It is true that no country in the world pays ministers as we do. But it is also true that no other island has developed like Singapore: sparkling, clean, safe, with no corruption and low crime rates.

You can walk the streets or jog at night. Women will not be mugged. Police do not take bribes, and if they are offered bribes, there are consequences for the ones offering.

None of this came about by coincidence. It took the construction of an ecosystem that requires highly paid ministers.

With every pay reduction, the sacrifice that a minister makes - giving up his profession or his banking job - becomes greater.

Some will eventually tell themselves: "I don't mind doing this for half a term, 21/2 years, as a form of national service. But beyond that, it has to be: thanks but no thanks."

The final outcome would be a revolving-door government, which will inevitably lack a deep understanding of the issues or the incentive to think about problems in a long-term manner.

Will Singapore be around in 100 years? I am not so sure. America, China, Britain, Australia - these countries will be around in 100 years. But Singapore was never a nation until recently.

An earlier generation of Singaporeans had to build this place from scratch - and what a fine job we have done.

When I led the country, I did what I could to consolidate our gains. So too did Goh Chok Tong.

And now, under Lee Hsien Loong and his team, the country will do well for at least the next 10 to 15 years.

But after that, the trajectory that we take will depend on the choices made by a younger generation of Singaporeans.

Whatever those choices are, I am absolutely sure that if Singapore gets a dumb government, we are done for. This country will sink into nothingness.

Thank you Mr Lee.

as the title put it "Lee Kuan Yew on fate of Singapore in 100 years' time", so sad that the old man has to worry about his job till the last day, how many of us actual worry about your job when you are off work or retired (not referring to losing your job to FT btw).

Singapore has come a long way, we should be appreciative of what we have, and have gratitude also. today, i just read a piece of news in Malaysia that a 31 yr old woman was splashed acid on her face by two mysterious men, and she is almost certain to become blind, not to mention the recent spate of gun firing, mongolean woman killed by bomb blast and accused acquitted etc. France recently rail way 30 over people died, in Singapore, mrrt break down we kpkb.

Edited by Ingenius

Couldn't find this in MCF. If it's been mentioned before here or else where, my deepest apologies.

Whatever those choices are, he is absolutely sure that if Singapore gets a dumb government, we are done for. This country will sink into nothingness, and the Earth Planet will STOP Revolving into World Doom Day. [dead][smallcry] Thank You Mr.Lee [nod]

Edited by Fongmy

a little side track...quite sad to see LKY's health deteriorate so much in 1 yr...NDP 2012 and NDP 2013 drastic difference

the sadess part is, i dont think he get to enjoy all that he had garner for been in politics for years.

a little side track...quite sad to see LKY's health deteriorate so much in 1 yr...NDP 2012 and NDP 2013 drastic difference

Seems like he cannot go against the phase of aging. I also noticed that his health recently seems like deteriorate a lot!

as the title put it "Lee Kuan Yew on fate of Singapore in 100 years' time", so sad that the old man has to worry about his job till the last day, how many of us actual worry about your job when you are off work or retired (not referring to losing your job to FT btw).

This, unfortunately, is the BIGGEST worry, and a valid one. [laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool

I hope that he gives a stern reminder to the current batch of MPs and ministers to serve the people of this country with more compassion.

Couldn't find this in MCF. If it's been mentioned before here or else where, my deepest apologies.

Whatever those choices are, he is absolutely sure that if Singapore gets a dumb government, we are done for. This country will sink into nothingness, and the Earth Planet will STOP Revolving into World Doom Day. [dead][smallcry] Thank You Mr.Lee [nod]

uncle fong, genting when ? [laugh]

actually this is true mah..

this one also apply for other country. [sweatdrop]

Same feeling. He looks frail on NDP. I appreciate his contribution and hard work in building Singapore to what it is today. I sincerely wish him good health.

As for the son, I have no comment. Am losing faith on him and his team. Ever since under his leadership, nothing seems to be right. From housing, transport, population, healthcare...nothing was right. Looking back, I think GCT's leadership was much better.

uncle fong, genting when ? [laugh]

I just came down2 days ago, your schedule when ? Buzz me, I give you a joy ride to KL & GHR cruising NSHW at Legal Speed 110km/h [drivingcar][thumbsup]

Same feeling. He looks frail on NDP. I appreciate his contribution and hard work in building Singapore to what it is today. I sincerely wish him good health.

As for the son, I have no comment. Am losing faith on him and his team. Ever since under his leadership, nothing seems to be right. From housing, transport, population, healthcare...nothing was right. Looking back, I think GCT's leadership was much better.

Lol, even nothing was right under his leadership and yet he is leading almost a decade liao?! [rolleyes]

Yea, quite heartwrenching to see him in that state...

↡ Advertisement