Roundabout rules: was NTUC right?

Nicholas

- article start -

post-4567-1376372781_thumb.png

"I found out that NTUC Income don't understand certain Highway Code rules during our exchange of emails regarding a disputed accident claim.

NTUC Income then put 100% liability on my side when infact the other driver was in the wrong.

This matter was then referred to Fidrec for adjudication which, to my surprise, also favoured NTUC Income's decision 100%

I checked with LTA regarding the Highway code rules and confirmed NTUC Income's interpretation was different.

NTUC Income said they will still stand firm on their assessment and had already compensated the other party and closed the case as it was already adjudicated by Fidrec.

This is what happened:

Last year, 7th Aug 2012, my wife was involved in a minor side-collision accident in Pandan Circle.

Ref to above diagram 3.18 as an illustration of the roundabout.

My car (shown in red) wanted to exit from the right-lane to the 2nd exit (Jurong Town Hall road). The other car (shown in blue) should also exit base on the general rule, but he (blue car) wanted to continue to the 3rd exit (West Coast road). Therefore this accident happened.

The other driver blames her for the accident and does not believe there are roundabout rules. Saying all vehicles must exit from the left lane, vehicles on the left lane can proceed all the way in the roundabout. I told him he needed to keep-right lane when approaching roundabout in order to turn right (3rd exit) base on general rules of roundabout.

As we could not agree, we decided to report to insurer for 3rd party claim. Both are insured with NTUC INCOME.

The whole incident was captured in my car's camera system. The dispute mainly boils down to the rules of the road. I submitted the footage to NTUC Income.

To my surprise, NTUC Income informed me liability at my side.

I then requested for their detail report as a claim was made into my policy. They rejected my request as I know they are wrong in their assessment.

I wrote to MAS and was told they cannot do anything as it was NTUC Income's commercial decision and Fidrec already gone through it.

This story is quite lengthy but I have uploaded more photos, letters and the video to my blog at: http://jkhan999.blogspot.sg/

My experience tells me this : "Never go to Fidrec for motor accident dispute. NTUC Income will tell them not to listen". Ntuc Income have changed some of our traffic rules.

Mr. Han JK"

Source: http://therealsingapore.com/content/ntuc-i...asic-road-rules

Blog with more explanations: http://jkhan999.blogspot.sg/

- article end -

Keeping left to go 3rd or 4th exit is just wrong isn't it? That means if NTUC is right, cars on the right lanes must filter left in round about to exit? [confused]

↡ Advertisement

The other driver should be wrong if based on the basic theory of driving.

As attached, this is extracted directly from the 7th edition issued by Traffic Police. The diagram on the right is similar to this scenario.

oh2z.jpg

I'm more aware of my surroundings when entering or exiting a roundabout. Either slow down or pick up speed to avoid accidents like this.

In your case, I feel that if you were to go to exit 2, you should exercise caution and check before exiting. It's more of a 50-50% in my opinion. Takes 2 hands to clap, both parties never take measures to give way or signal their intentions. (signal intentions, pick up or slow down)

Take it as a lesson learnt bro. NTUC also quite stubborn. Many complaints on them, that's why I will never go NTUC.

imo, other car wrong. but NTUC say case closed. LPPL. SG car insurance like that one. Got make traffic police report?

maybe you can write to ST forum then make big hoo haa

Edited by Mockngbrd

Problem is red car thought blue car will SURE exit Jurong Town Hall Road, while blue car thought red car will SURE NOT exit Jurong Town Hall Road, therefore langa.

Red car I think was said to be wrong on basis that if want to exit Jurong Town Hall Road, she should be in same lane as blue car, ie. left most lane.

Confusing. BOLA stated that vehicle in roundabout must stay in lane until it is safe to change lane. By exiting from right, means change lane?

The other driver should be wrong if based on the basic theory of driving.

As attached, this is extracted directly from the 7th edition issued by Traffic Police. The diagram on the right is similar to this scenario.

Nice one. Helps to refresh our memory. It's been 13 years since I last touched this book! [laugh]

From the looks of it, seems TS may have a good chance after all. Slam the book to NTUC and demand your 100% back! If not tell them to be prepared to be sued! [:p]

no wonder malaysians like to laugh at singapore cos we sucks in roundabout ...there are too many versions :D

In mayalsia, there is only 1 rule and that is THERE IS NO RULE!!! :D

imo, other car wrong. but NTUC say case closed. LPPL. SG car insurance like that one. Got make traffic police report?

maybe you can write to ST forum then make big hoo haa

Have you experienced similar situations with other insurance? They think you wrong means wrong? <_<

TO EVERYONE: I am not Mr Han, just sharing an article that I thought it's good for discussion and raise awareness on traffic rules.

Msia is who got bigger bolla win.

but you dun see them get into accident at roundable... and they somehow have the give way attitude they will let pple pass...here haiz...

What to do - basic theory, as the name implies, is just theory.

In reality, quite a lot of KS drivers out there. You plan to go out at the 3rd exit, and keep right to go round the circle, then some idiot will prevent you from filtering to the left in time to go for the 3rd exit.

Resulting in some drivers keeping to the left-most lane in the round-abouts, even if they're not exactly going for the 1st exit!

That's why when it comes to round-abouts, it's best not to make sudden moves, but just observe the traffic carefully as you go along and merge smoothly. No point fighting with goods or heavy vehicles because they are dare-devils, since it's not their personal loss in case of accidents.

But to say TS is 100% at fault is not correct, IMHO. Should be around 50-50.

What to do - basic theory, as the name implies, is just theory.

In reality, quite a lot of KS drivers out there. You plan to go out at the 3rd exit, and keep right to go round the circle, then some idiot will prevent you from filtering to the left in time to go for the 3rd exit.

Resulting in some drivers keeping to the left-most lane in the round-abouts, even if they're not exactly going for the 1st exit!

That's why when it comes to round-abouts, it's best not to make sudden moves, but just observe the traffic carefully as you go along and merge smoothly. No point fighting with goods or heavy vehicles because they are dare-devils, since it's not their personal loss in case of accidents.

But to say TS is 100% at fault is not correct, IMHO. Should be around 50-50.

actually if miss turning, just go 1 more round nia........ no issues [laugh]

but you dun see them get into accident at roundable... and they somehow have the give way attitude they will let pple pass...here haiz...

My take on this is that, in Bolehland, they have so many drivers that do things by left, so other drivers will be more cautious and drive defensively. Over here, a lot of people are complacent and thinks that if they have a right of way, they will just bo chup and go, and if anything happens, they just claim claim claim....

that is because we people here dont have the "give people 5 seconds" patience, "save ourselves 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months" of trouble's mindset... and also, the most important action of safety driving that cannot be emphasized enough, SIGNAL... that's the only way to show your intentions safely and POLITELY (hahaha)...

↡ Advertisement