Roundabout rules: was NTUC right?

Nicholas

I think you are reading TS reasoning(not that i agree) wrongly here... TS is saying his wife was merely exiting from her own lane as her lane allowed her to do that AND blue car must also exit from his own lane (because it was 2nd exit, compulsary to exit). nothing to do with changing lanes....

google map the place

the the blue car lane allow him to go straight or turn left

in this case he wants to go straight

the red car lane allow her only to go straight unless change lane to exit

↡ Advertisement

assuming that the accident has occurred a while ago, i think NTUC is right and the red car should assume full liability.

i use that roundabout quite often. before LTA made the changes recently and if i remember correctly, the arrow marking on the outer lane of the roundabout is a straight or left turn, i.e. cars on the left most lane can choose to continue around the roundabout or exit it. that being said, cars cannot exit from the right lane. i remember this because it annoys me when cars "cut queue" by exiting the roundabout from the right lane when there is only one legal exiting lane, which is the left lane.

it is only the recent changes to the arrows, i noticed that cars on the left lane must exit and cars on the right have the choice of continuing or exiting the roundabout.

they change like that will be more jam right???

Neutral Newbie

they change like that will be more jam right???

perhaps, but a double lane exit would definitely aid the flow of the cars exiting, rather than a single lane exit. unless the majority of the cars want to exit to west coast road instead of the highway.

i think partially it's because too many cars are exiting illegally from the right lane, which is in this case. LTA may have changed the arrow markings to prevent such accidents from happening again.

perhaps, but a double lane exit would definitely aid the flow of the cars exiting, rather than a single lane exit. unless the majority of the cars want to exit to west coast road instead of the highway.

i think partially it's because too many cars are exiting illegally from the right lane, which is in this case. LTA may have changed the arrow markings to prevent such accidents from happening again.

then place TP there to issue summon better.

like the Highway extension of pie now 6 lane but think end up all 6 lane will be used to go out to BKE. <_<

Edited by Joseph22

Neutral Newbie

then place TP there to issue summon better.

like the Highway extension of pie now 6 lane but think end up all 6 lane will be used to go out to BKE. <_<

i used "illegally" because many cars just assume that cars on the left most lane are exiting, so they can also exit safely. but if the cars dont exit and continue the roundabout, accidents as per this case happens.

i really hope they would place a TP there to issue summon. pardon me, but i really hate those cars going ahead to "cut the queue." expanding the PIE won't solve the problem effectively. i think the more effective way is like how LTA did to Jurong Town Hall Road, how they filter the cars going into AYE (ECP) and west coast highway. there's no way to cut the queue.

Taxi????

please look at the whole thread. that place is not consider a round about btw. :ph34r:

Opss..my bad. See sala...I tot it was the one at Pioneer Road... [:p]

Ya...that Pandan one is not really a circle. To me its a hazardous junction...hahahaha...

Opss..my bad. See sala...I tot it was the one at Pioneer Road... [:p]

Ya...that Pandan one is not really a circle. To me its a hazardous junction...hahahaha...

you biases against taxi lah [laugh]

i think you create a thread on the fuel surcharge and we aruge there right?? [laugh]

Kenna 9 points is scary but many people still do it, so maybe not scary enough?

What if filter w/o checking and a rider is unable to stop?

@Tcx607: If you have cam can try to appeal. If not, it's your word against a TP so can only LPPL.

1. rounadbout violations: 4 points + $130

2. hindering flow of traffic: same as above. Wonder why TP did not cite this.

9 points is for "no due consideration to other road users" which is very broad.

Maybe can appeal.

This rule applies only when there are no lane markings. In TS case, I'm guessing there are lane markings, left lane turn out, right lane go round about.

Actually there aren't. The last markings are just before the traffic lights where Jln Buroh cuts across the roundabout. The markings there are for both lanes to go straight only.

1. rounadbout violations: 4 points + $130

2. hindering flow of traffic: same as above. Wonder why TP did not cite this.

9 points is for "no due consideration to other road users" which is very broad.

Maybe can appeal.

Definitely can appeal due to the likelihood that a wrong rule was applied in this case.

if i read correctly, your argument is blue car must definately exit at the accident exit because it was the 2nd exit for him. so the road must be definately clear for your wife to exit without any problem.

my question is what if the blue car entered the roundabout one entrance later than your wife, and end up same position side by side with your wife at the accident exit. but the difference now is he can choose not to exit at the accident exit because it is only his first exit. so your wife is not so sure if she can exit now correct?

if this argument holds water, very hard to drive leh... have to monitor and remember which car enter from which entrance to establish when is the "die-die must exit" exit for all neighbouring cars...

Now assuming that this is a normal roundabout rather than the one I described. Based on the highway code, the blue car has to give way to the red.

assuming that the accident has occurred a while ago, i think NTUC is right and the red car should assume full liability.

i use that roundabout quite often. before LTA made the changes recently and if i remember correctly, the arrow marking on the outer lane of the roundabout is a straight or left turn, i.e. cars on the left most lane can choose to continue around the roundabout or exit it. that being said, cars cannot exit from the right lane. i remember this because it annoys me when cars "cut queue" by exiting the roundabout from the right lane when there is only one legal exiting lane, which is the left lane.

it is only the recent changes to the arrows, i noticed that cars on the left lane must exit and cars on the right have the choice of continuing or exiting the roundabout.

So they've fixed it? My grouse after looking at google maps was really the bad road markings.

Now assuming that this is a normal roundabout rather than the one I described. Based on the highway code, the blue car has to give way to the red.

dun get it.. blue car how to give way? red car is exiting immediately while blue car wants to go continue to next exit. blue car would have to stop completely and wait for red car to exit?

I know the Marine Parade circle has no lane marking. The road width is big enough for 3 cars breadth. One of the few places where Roundabout rule should be practice.

Actually I find that people generally do that at the MP roundabout. I can say that most of the people on it actually do give way to the cars on the right that are exiting ahead of them. Even lane disciple when exiting is very high.

Edited by Elfenstar

dun get it.. blue car how to give way? red car is exiting immediately while blue car wants to go continue to next exit. blue car would have to stop completely and wait for red car to exit?

Yup he would have to slow and stop to give way. Rule of the right applies on roundabouts too.

you biases against taxi lah [laugh]

i think you create a thread on the fuel surcharge and we aruge there right?? [laugh]

Eh...dun recall about fuel surcharge...not me who created for sure...I think I created less than 10 threads in MCF...hahahahaha...

I not bias on taxi lah...just some of the drivers nia.

↡ Advertisement