Roundabout rules: was NTUC right?

Nicholas

Neutral Newbie

Yup he would have to slow and stop to give way. Rule of the right applies on roundabouts too.

agree with you if that is a normal roundabout.

but the roundabout where the accident happened has clear demarcation of lanes and directional arrows. it is similar to the Suntec roundabout, where you can only exit from the left most lane. all 3 lanes are for going straight, with the 3rd lane (outer most) having a choice to turn left to exit the roundabout. if a car wants to exit from the 2nd lane, the car on the 3rd lane, who is going straight, will have the right of way.

i think in this case, there's nothing to do with the rules of a roundabout. it is purely a case on whether TS's wife did follow the direction arrows.

↡ Advertisement

Taxi????

please look at the whole thread. that place is not consider a round about btw. :ph34r:

See ntuc nia tot taxi Liao

Lucky he never say till ntuc mkt kana swipe

Haha

Yup he would have to slow and stop to give way. Rule of the right applies on roundabouts too.

From video footage , it appears that blue car is like almost side by side. Unless you are ahead, your signals may not be visible.

NTUC always hv funny interpretation of traffic rules.... my last encounter with them, a car exiting a parking lot bang into mine, with all the evidence pointing to the driver not exercising caution when exiting his parking lot, NTUC still had e cheek to counter claim me 30% liability. absurd isnt it??

maybe we shld all go buy NTUC policy as they twist n turn all circumstance to get e best for thier clients

the video isn't very clear. I would like to see if lane markings indicate there are one or two lanes allocated for turning left (like the one in newton circus).

but what is clear is also the blue car is a bad or lousy driver. as for red car, I agree with you the indicator lights of the blue car may not be visible to its driver. now the other thing that could have helped red car driver is the lane markings.

but still if I were NTUC, I would at most apportion 50% of liability to red car if the lane markings were not in her favour. the blue car was slightly behind the red car and should be able to see the red car slightly in front of blue. and yet blue car driver didn't practise defensive driving

agree with you if that is a normal roundabout.

but the roundabout where the accident happened has clear demarcation of lanes and directional arrows. it is similar to the Suntec roundabout, where you can only exit from the left most lane. all 3 lanes are for going straight, with the 3rd lane (outer most) having a choice to turn left to exit the roundabout. if a car wants to exit from the 2nd lane, the car on the 3rd lane, who is going straight, will have the right of way.

i think in this case, there's nothing to do with the rules of a roundabout. it is purely a case on whether TS's wife did follow the direction arrows.

There were no arrows when the incident happened. They were painted on by LTA more recently.

the video isn't very clear. I would like to see if lane markings indicate there are one or two lanes allocated for turning left (like the one in newton circus).

but what is clear is also the blue car is a bad or lousy driver. as for red car, I agree with you the indicator lights of the blue car may not be visible to its driver. now the other thing that could have helped red car driver is the lane markings.

but still if I were NTUC, I would at most apportion 50% of liability to red car if the lane markings were not in her favour. the blue car was slightly behind the red car and should be able to see the red car slightly in front of blue. and yet blue car driver didn't practise defensive driving

If the lane marking is like newton, then the blue car clearly cannot go straight liao, must turn left. The video footage very clear. The red car was in a lane that cannot turn left. must shift to the inner lane before can turn left.. morover, the red car was driving quite carelessly and tried to cut lane. I suspect this was not the first time the red car driver did such a stunt..over this roundabout.

From video footage , it appears that blue car is like almost side by side. Unless you are ahead, your signals may not be visible.

Then legally, wouldn't the onus would be on the person who does not have right of way to ensure that he/she can see right?

If the lane marking is like newton, then the blue car clearly cannot go straight liao, must turn left. The video footage very clear. The red car was in a lane that cannot turn left. must shift to the inner lane before can turn left.. morover, the red car was driving quite carelessly and tried to cut lane. I suspect this was not the first time the red car driver did such a stunt..over this roundabout.

somehow due to the glare in the video,i dare not say can see clearly what are markings on the road.

on the other hand, I cannot understand why you mentioned red car driving careless and trying to cut lane.

I thought it was the blue.

what is clear is that the red car was slightly in front of the blue when the collision happened.

There were no lane markings then, and this isn't a typical roundabout which is why I blamed everything on LTA. Maybe both cars should get NTUC to claim from them instead.

Unless there are directional arrows on the ground, on a roundabout, the person on the inner (2 lane) or middle (3 lane) roundabout has the right to exit from there. The person on the outermost lane MUST give way if they want to go straight. Go see the image I posted from the highway code in post #135.

Not entirely accurate as the picture is about 8 months before the incident, however there were no markings previously. And as another bro said, markings were painted recently.

post-6361-1376474137_thumb.jpg

Anyway from the video, it looks like they're both bad drivers. One accelerated to get ahead and slowed only as she was turning, and the other looked like he/she accelerated to block the first.

Edited by Elfenstar

oh ok.....if no lane markings both deserves the share of liability!

when no lane marking it means no party has clear advantage and they should be careful when switching lanes or exiting.

for a wide roundabout, LTA could have done better to put the lane markings earlier.

when no lane marking it means no party has clear advantage and they should be careful when switching lanes or exiting.

for a wide roundabout, LTA could have done better to put the lane markings earlier.

only when too many accidents, then they wake up and do something. Typical. Where is the pro-activeness?

Haha! You ARE really prejudiced against aunty Lucy like the plague,

With good reason. It's not "prejudice", it's "postjudice".

must add in your gratitious advice unconnected to teh issue!

"gratuitous"

"the"

More likely LTA should take at least 50% liability

only when too many accidents, then they wake up and do something. Typical. Where is the pro-activeness?

Considering the pay of key appointment personnel and ministers, there's probably not enough funds for the rest civil service to be pro-active [:p] [:p] [laugh]

Edited by Elfenstar

I am not sure or it is just me, at roundabouts, I often filter to the most left just before reaching the intended exit

↡ Advertisement