BMW 316i vs Mercedes CLA

Limxiaoming

post-27527-1376532233_thumb.jpg[at
tachment=84264:6449565400.jpg]Dear bros,

Almost time to change car! Been car hunting the past few months and now boil down to 3 cars. The third car is Jap so won't be talking about it here.
As per topic, any views on these 2 beauties?

Merc CLA - $179,800
BMW 316i Sport - $169,800

Both 1.6L Turbo with the merc churning out slightly more bhp.

Merc compromise a bit of rear headroom and boot because of the coupe silhouette.

post-27527-1376532258_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Depends on your needs.

Mercedes CLA - if you are Single, Wealthy and Stylish.

CLA is a size smaller than 3-Series in terms of interior space. The rear seats are really token seats and getting into the back really requires some flexibility to bring your knees close to your chest to squeeze through that small opening. Otherwise, the front is quite spacious and airy especially with the optional glass roof. The ride is harsh though, wish the suspension had been made more compliant.

BMW 316i - fits everyone... from singles to married couples who have or plan to have kids or have elderly parents.

Doesn't excite in any way though... not enough power to do power slides in Sport Plus mode. But more spacious cabin, better ergonomics are pluses.

If its me... I take CLA with glassroof. I hardly use the rear seats anyway.

CLA will be my choice. It seems pretty clear cut to me though...

the bmw will just be another 3 series on the road.. nothing to rave about. But the CLA will be pretty distinctive amidst all the C and E classes.

Even the bonnet lid is so well thought of, making it like a premium sports car.

Edited by Chrispie

Both are gorgeous cars, but the CLA will get my vote. From a layman point of view, the prefix "CL" wins hands down on the comparison, sounds much more sophisticated thanks to the absolute beauty of CLS lol! Also as bro chrispie mentioned, a 3-series is really just another 3-series that infested our road here.... And the 328i is the way to go for a 3er... At least... My 2 cents

1st question ...... do you need the rear seats ? How often do you have people sitting at the back ?

If answer is NO and seldom .... CLA.

However, if you do need to use the rear seat ...... go for the 316i. Seriously local roads, how fast can u go ? 316i .. 0 to 100 km ... 9.2 seconds (i think) ... good enough but must go for the M-sport option. The business trim, CMI lah.

Having owned the E90 320i and the W204 C180K .... drivability ..... BMW. For ease of mind and comfort ....... Merc.

If I have no kids, I would go for the CLA.

Have no kids now but purpose of changing car is because of family planning. Getting married and moving to new home next year.

That being said my kids will be small enough for at least the next 5yrs.

Yea can say that the 3-series will be another 3-series on the road but at the rate CnC is selling the CLA, it will be a matter of time before the CLA will be just another Merc on the road haha...

1st question ...... do you need the rear seats ? How often do you have people sitting at the back ?

If answer is NO and seldom .... CLA.

However, if you do need to use the rear seat ...... go for the 316i. Seriously local roads, how fast can u go ? 316i .. 0 to 100 km ... 9.2 seconds (i think) ... good enough but must go for the M-sport option. The business trim, CMI lah.

Having owned the E90 320i and the W204 C180K .... drivability ..... BMW. For ease of mind and comfort ....... Merc.

If I have no kids, I would go for the CLA.

Yes I will need the rear seats. Actually the CLA rear seats is not as bad as it seems. I sat in there and there is room comfortable for 2 adults and 1 child of average size.

Only thing no aircon vent at the back and the huge sports seats of the CLA makes visibility of the rear passengers lousy. Back passengers have bad view and feel claustrophobic.

Is it just me or has anyone realized that the newer beemer steering is getting lighter and lacking in feel? I tested 316i and 328i GT... both doesnt give you the same connected feel like the x1 or older bmws do... or even my volvo s60... I was quite excited about the 328i GT when i saw it in the showroom but after testing it I came away disappointed with its drive.

I have been waiting for some comparison between this 2 rides as well. Also shortlisted to these 2 cars if I were to change my 4yo jap sedan. [:p]

IMO, even if you are to start family planning, can still consider CLA as its a 4 dr coupe. The rear seat can easily accomodate 2 adults comfortably unless they are about 1.8m and above.

But getting in from the rear has to take extra caution due to its low coupe style and some people will get a knock on their heads.

As some bros have correctly mentioned here, if you do not need to the rear space often, go for the CLA. The boot space is also pretty spacious. More than sufficient for the common prams, golf bags, luggages etc. The rear seats for the 316 on the other hand feels pretty stiff although it is more spacious. However, I'm attracted by the red seats that come as a foc option for 316. :D

Looks wise, CLA wins hands down imo. Based on all these, I'm leaning slightly more towards CLA although 316 has lowered its pricing due to the competition. It was $174,888 before CLA was launched. [cool]

For those who have sat/test drove the CLA, my question is:

How's the rear seats compared to the C Class Coupe??

Cos I felt the rear of the C Class coupe was rather cramp.

Your views please.

• Praise 3

Have no kids now but purpose of changing car is because of family planning. Getting married and moving to new home next year.

That being said my kids will be small enough for at least the next 5yrs.

Yea can say that the 3-series will be another 3-series on the road but at the rate CnC is selling the CLA, it will be a matter of time before the CLA will be just another Merc on the road haha...

I saw and sat in the CLA. I kind of feel that the often cited bane of it not being to accommodate a family of passengers is actually overplayed or exaggerated.

mind you, I am 1.8m tall......I sat in the rear I don't feel any more restricted in my movements. passengers only have to accustomised to a more upright sitting position and the occasional bumps on the head if the car goes over a hump fast.

with kids and ladies, you don't even expect their heads to get the bumps.

Your views please.

see my post #13. I don't feel cramp in the CLA. I didn't sat in the coupe though .

I'm pretty surprised at how much talk there have been about the CLA rear seats lacking in space and difficulty getting in and out and etc etc.

My own take after personally having seen the car, test drove it, got in and out of the rear to see for myself what others have been criticising about the rear:

i)The legroom at the rear for me was decent enough. It ain't as good as the A4 or 316 rear but definitely better leg space than the likes of 1 series and A1. Very marginal leg space difference between 316 and C180 that's for sure.

ii)The minus point have to be the headspace which if the rear passengers are going to be 180cm and above in height, it will get a bit uncomfortable. But from what I know, 80% of Singaporeans are below 175cm in height, or no? And if you are talking about a Coupe, it usually has a sloping roofline (or lower roof) behind which is also found in the 3 series coupe, the CLS coupe and etc. That's what makes a coupe attractive in design. If this is a strong minus point for you, don't ever consider a Coupe. Stick with a sedan

iii)I'm not so sure what is the fuss about difficulty in getting in and out of the rear unless for elderly people in their 60s or older who because of diffiulty in bending would find it difficult to get in and out of the rear. Otherwise, I have repeatedly got in and out of the rear to see for myself and don't really see what is the problem.

iv)The slight minus point is the uprightness of the rear seats which again I would stress that it didn't feel that uncomfortable (got someone to test drive also while i was sitting behind for 15-20 mins). Maybe for long distance drive of a few hundred km into Malaysia, the rear passengers may feel a bit uncomfy having to sit so upright for a long time. Otherwise for daily ferrying in Singapore for our usual short distance of 30-45 mins for most destinations feels definitely ok

I don't agree that the seats behind are token seats. Token seats in the rear are more referring to the likes of cabriolets and certain 2 door coupes models where the space behind are really more meant for children. Unless of course you have two children of toddler ages where you need to put 2 child seat behind, otherwise I feel the rear space and design is still manageable.

Overall, I will pick the CLA. For the 10K difference, CLA is definitely a lot more nippy and faster and looks better while the 316 feels underpowered and for me the design a bit dated. For the 3 series, I feel the minimum should be the 320 but it is also more expensive than the CLA.

Your views please.

I have not sat in the C Class coupe before and so can't really comment. For me, I felt the rear of the CLA is decent enough. But what is decent for me may not be decent for you. Although one thing I have to say is that the C class coupe is a two door while the CLA coupe is a four door. There is definitely confirmed higher degree of difficulty in getting behind of a two door coupe versus a four door coupe.

CLA no rear aircon u know liao, then CLA bonnet no hydraulic, then missus or gf must like a non-adjustable "head-rest", for men we almost would love the bucket seat feel but for the ladies, when they sit down, must ask them if they use to it or not coz they head may be "push" forward due to the curve of the seat, most girls not as broad as men ma... my missus didnt like it

then boot space may need to consider if in near future can fit a full size baby seat, coz at times u may ferry your colleagues or friends and so storing it in boot may be a consideration

of coz the usual RWD/FWD, plus point for the CLA is the power & torque output and the good hamsum look.

Test drove both cars and seriously, being a layman I cant feel any difference between CLA and 3-series.

try taking corners at 110....see the diff

to put it simply, having driven the C180 for a short while, Merc is comfortable, BMW, engaging. Drive feel, Merc has improved, but when i need to gun and do my overtakes, i'd still go for the beemer!

the only merc i would consider now is the SL500, but at that price, gimme the Grancoupe anytime!

↡ Advertisement