BMW 316i vs Mercedes CLA

Limxiaoming

CLA bro. But if you looking at fuel efficiency and hp, just go for the Japanese car that you mentioned earlier. [laugh]

Haha... Ya bro. Your car is still a car that I will be dreaming of every night :wub: :wub: :wub:

↡ Advertisement

Was seriously considering the CLA too. Now driving 6cyl 3 series.

Attracted to the CLA's interior and exterior... But scared to make the switch as its FWD. having test driven both,how does the driving feel differ for u?

nowadays the mercs interior designs are all re-used all over again. from A class, B class and now CLA.

Thats why i feel sian..the materials feels very cheap. :( i dont expect lambo leather dashboards but at least it should feel more atas inside mah.

It does look extremely handsome with the big lambo looking vents in front (bodykitted). guess this will be the standard new "beng" look for mercs. nowadays all the ASK drive bmw and mercs liao..only left afew driving old school evo9, wrx.

mercedes-cla-45-1.jpg

well, its not exactly "cheap" at 170ish price tag you know...tmr go see see and test drive..

Edited by Rayoflight

Was seriously considering the CLA too. Now driving 6cyl 3 series.

Attracted to the CLA's interior and exterior... But scared to make the switch as its FWD. having test driven both,how does the driving feel differ for u?

Consider seriously... 6cyl 3series is pretty high up there in handling with its power and weight distribution; the normal CLA (200,250) are FR, you might not get used to the difference... only the CLA45 AMG or A45 AMG can give you the same feel.

me also driving a 6cyl 3series... and sometimes going for long servicing... we get the 318i as replacement car... my OC will complain like hell... even this switch already totally different feel... think twice my fren

Regarding the ease of access into the rear, I am not exaggerating about the difficulty. Unfortunately i went to see the car with an aching back (i pulled a muscle during reservist that week). So i crimped when i had to bend myself into the rear seats (i'm 1..72) So i can really imagine the elderly would feel the same way too. But once seated in, the amount of room is decent, same as what you would get in a Volkswagen Polo but it really feels claustrophobic due to its dark interior (so please please get that glass roof option, $4K only) and huge one piece sports seats that blocks the view of the rear passengers into the outside world. Combined with the very firm ride, I would think some people who are prone to car-sickness would not be able to tolerate this car on long journeys up north. As a driver's car, i thoroughly enjoy it. The only think i didn't like as a driver is the low resolution display with that pitifully small screen. If I am single and I care only about myself... this is the car i really really want. I shall go and see it again once the CLA45AMG is here because the CLA200's performance is not up to my expectation (i am currently driving a 3-litre turbo).

Test drove both cars liao. Both feel ok to me for daily driving.

In fact both driving feel are fantastic considering this is a big upgrade from a 1.5L jap to a conti for me.

One concern I have for buying the merc is the significantly smaller fuel tank capacity for the Merc at 50L. The BMW is 60L.

I frequent Msia and can save some money with the additional fuel tank capacity hahaha (Sorry I know I niao)

Another worry is the expensive servicing costs for C&C compared to PML.

I have friends driving merc and bmw all kinds of models and from what I gather, an average servicing in C&C for Merc costs $1000+ while PML servicing costs <$400

Not to mention the $20k additional price tag

The only plus point for CLA is looks, and looks are subjective.

The BMW is more comfortable, handles better, has a better gearbox, and more refined. Also cheaper to buy.

CLA DCT is likely to give you problems in the long run, and it changes gear like a tard.

In fact both driving feel are fantastic considering this is a big upgrade from a 1.5L jap to a conti for me.

One concern I have for buying the merc is the significantly smaller fuel tank capacity for the Merc at 50L. The BMW is 60L.

I frequent Msia and can save some money with the additional fuel tank capacity hahaha (Sorry I know I niao)

I have friends driving merc and bmw all kinds of models and from what I gather, an average servicing in C&C for Merc costs $1000+ while PML servicing costs <$400

I am surprised to hear C&C servicing for mercs cost more than PML servicing for BMW?

anyhow, there are many workshops elsewhere that can service Mercedes at fraction of C&C cost

Hmmm, I agree that cost for servicing at C&C is higher than PML based on my experience. However, it is not as bad as S$1000 vs S$400. It depends on what type of service that you are doing, C&C service A will be around 600 and Service B - 1k. If 60k, service B plus - 2k. Definitely more expensive than most Jap rides.

However, there is always the option of 3rd party WS and the price will be 50 % of the price from AD. One thing to take note ..... it would be easier to look for a 3rd party workshop for Merc as compared to the BMW.

Thats a nice upgrade if you are still driving your mitsu lancer ex.

Down 90k cash for a car and still have to service min 2k/mth installments + maintenance before getting your house. Quite a daring feat i would say but i won't ask about your finances since im not your CFO. hahaha

my dad did get servicing vouchers so servicing is free. 200+ for normal oil change each time. Considering the staffs and showroom they have to feed, reasonable la.

if all else fails, get a B class..for family mah. very ah pek though.

Edited by Rayoflight

Consider seriously... 6cyl 3series is pretty high up there in handling with its power and weight distribution; the normal CLA (200,250) are FR, you might not get used to the difference... only the CLA45 AMG or A45 AMG can give you the same feel.

me also driving a 6cyl 3series... and sometimes going for long servicing... we get the 318i as replacement car... my OC will complain like hell... even this switch already totally different feel... think twice my fren

I think the 316 is not 6 cylinder but 4 only, am I right?

• Praise 3

Hmmm, I agree that cost for servicing at C&C is higher than PML based on my experience. However, it is not as bad as S$1000 vs S$400. It depends on what type of service that you are doing, C&C service A will be around 600 and Service B - 1k. If 60k, service B plus - 2k. Definitely more expensive than most Jap rides.

However, there is always the option of 3rd party WS and the price will be 50 % of the price from AD. One thing to take note ..... it would be easier to look for a 3rd party workshop for Merc as compared to the BMW.

Aiyah, already spent so much to buy a nice car, why niao on servicing with 3rd party? Going to 3rd party, especially for newbies, also has its risk unless you are very technically knowledgeable yourself. Since owning a car is to enjoy the convenience and driving experience, then throw a little more to have that peace of mind, like insurance. :D

If really so niao and calculative, then maybe should not own a car.

Moving from your current car to CLA or 316 is a big upgrade. Seriously, if servicing cost is worry to u, maybe you should rethink if it is wise to take this plunge.

Moving from your current car to CLA or 316 is a big upgrade. Seriously, if servicing cost is worry to u, maybe you should rethink if it is wise to take this plunge.

wahaha......u all beri bad la. see him no up izit? :D

<_<

wahaha......u all beri bad la. see him no up izit? :D

Bo lah, I just share my opinion nia. Nothing to do with see him up or down. If things like FC and servicing cost is a concern, maybe shouldn't even step into the showroom in the first place. Just stay put. Car ownership is long term, think carefully lor.

The servicing cost is one thing .... the replacement of wear and tear parts is another issue. I have to replace the brake disc and pad at 60k ... whereas for any jap cars, only the brake pads needs to be replaced. For some japs cars, the brake discs do not have to be replaced even after ten years.

Buy BMW or Merc, must be prepared to pay more for servicing ... otherwise forget it. I hate to say this .... imagine the workshop guy "suaning" ... "Can buy BMW/Merc and complain about high service cost". Just like some people buying 3 litre turbo car and complain about petrol consumption ..

The servicing cost is one thing .... the replacement of wear and tear parts is another issue. I have to replace the brake disc and pad at 60k ... whereas for any jap cars, only the brake pads needs to be replaced. For some japs cars, the brake discs do not have to be replaced even after ten years.

Buy BMW or Merc, must be prepared to pay more for servicing ... otherwise forget it. I hate to say this .... imagine the workshop guy "suaning" ... "Can buy BMW/Merc and complain about high service cost". Just like some people buying 3 litre turbo car and complain about petrol consumption ..

Talk about suaning, I still recall how I kenna my first suan from one accessory shop. Back then still young(just started working), bought my first new car, drove to one accessory shop to shop for rims. Tio suan by boss, say can afford new car but still want to bargain rims that cost <$1k. Haha...till today I will never forget. :D

yah lor....buy premium marque,then go ah seng svc, jb petrol, park car dun use cos cannot spend...knn

oh remind me today i drive a lot so have to miss my morning espresso [bigcry] [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement