Bicycle question: bleeding hydraulic brakes

Friendstar

Hi. I am new to leisure cycling.

I know there is this website called togoparts but I'm not familiar with the people there and don't wish to do the usual minimum post count before creating a topic.

I'm sure there is a sizable group of cyclists in MCF.

Just wondering where I can get my hydraulic disc brakes bleeded? How much does it cost roughly?

I'm staying in the east and will hope to have a bike shop recommendation. I tried asking a bike shop in bedok called teck hock Hin and was told that he is very busy till late September.

ZZzzzz. Maybe brakes bleeding is not a lucrative type of business and is frowned upon by the shop owners.

I'm hesitant to go those very old fashioned uncle bicycle shop cos I got a feel that they won't know how to service.

Any suggestions please?

Pls advise cost too

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

I know there is this website called togoparts but I'm not familiar with the people there and don't wish to do the usual minimum post count before creating a topic.

Just wondering where I can get my hydraulic disc brakes bleeded? How much does it cost roughly?

I'm staying in the east and will hope to have a bike shop recommendation. I tried asking a bike shop in bedok called teck hock Hin and was told that he is very busy till late September.

ZZzzzz. Maybe brakes bleeding is not a lucrative type of business and is frowned upon by the shop owners.

I'm hesitant to go those very old fashioned uncle bicycle shop cos I got a feel that they won't know how to service.

Any suggestions please?

Pls advise cost too

Thanks!

I like cyclecraft on east coast road (near the junction with still road). My bikes don't have hydraulic discs so I don't know the price. You may want to call and ask. They won't be the cheapest (and far from the most expensive), but their mech is great.

If you're new, and you bought a used bike, I would say get a full service and clean. That's usually between $70 and $100 everywhere.

Any suggestions please?

Pls advise cost too

Thanks!

Bro,

Does your braking feel mushy/spongy

Otherwise dont really need to bother.

There are many bike shops that can do this or you can do it at home if you have the correct brake fluid.

No need to pay so much and you can up your skills and tech knowledge by a lot if you work on your own bike.

My knowledge is base on Motorcycle hydraulic brakes which i believe does apply becos thats where bicycles base their technology on as well.

The simplest way is really to pump the brake levers and allow air to escape with the reservoir open.

1. Ensure bike is stable

2. Adjust your brake lever / reservior so that it sits flat and nice.

3. Open the reservior cap

4. Remove diaphragm (be careful not to spill brake fluid)

5. Activate your brakes by pumping the lever

6. Continue to do that until it feels firm and tight again.

7. Top up your reservoir with brake fluid.

8. Put back diaphragm and cap.

9. All done.

Good luck.

Edited by Throttle2

Any suggestions please?

Pls advise cost too

Thanks!

errrrr.....leisure cycling need hydraulic brake meh? sounds like sibei serious cycling to me. :D

Twincharged

Go youtube and look lo. I learnt how to bleed my brakes and service the whole bike from youtube. [laugh]

Twincharged

errrrr.....leisure cycling need hydraulic brake meh? sounds like sibei serious cycling to me. :D

Nowadays most mtb come with hydraulic brakes ma.

Neutral Newbie

Any suggestions please?

Pls advise cost too

Thanks!

if u r a hands on person, go youtube. Quite easy.

Depending on the brand of your brakes, Johnson baby oil can be used. no need pure hydraulic oil.

if u r a hands on person, go youtube. Quite easy.

Depending on the brand of your brakes, Johnson baby oil can be used. no need pure hydraulic oil.

That's very bad advice - unless you know what you're doing. The wrong oil can cause your brake system's rubber seals to fail and cost you more than the savings of using some oil that wasn't intended to be used as brake fluid.

Some bicycle brake systems specify mineral oil. Others specify the use of more commonly-available DOT-series brake fluid.

This is the first time I have heard of baby oil being used. Just like cars, brakes are just about the most important system on a bike. I don't see why you would want to cut corners on this. I have more brake pots on my bike than I do my car.

Yes it can be DIYed but can be messy if not done properly.

2 places to go in the east:

EMF Cycle

http://www.eguide.com.sg/Companies/EMF-Cycles

L&T Cycle

http://www.ltcycle.com

Elderly owner at EMF used to work as a mechanic @ L&T. NOW that he is on his own, his charges are cheaper. Knowledgeable and friendly but go early and avoid weekends if you dun want to wait.

Below instructions by right should work... If shimano... For avid not sure though.. You'll see bubbles

On the reservoir when you grip the levers when "burping"

The brakes..

But wear rubber gloves..

Bro,

Does your braking feel mushy/spongy

Otherwise dont really need to bother.

There are many bike shops that can do this or you can do it at home if you have the correct brake fluid.

No need to pay so much and you can up your skills and tech knowledge by a lot if you work on your own bike.

My knowledge is base on Motorcycle hydraulic brakes which i believe does apply becos thats where bicycles base their technology on as well.

The simplest way is really to pump the brake levers and allow air to escape with the reservoir open.

1. Ensure bike is stable

2. Adjust your brake lever / reservior so that it sits flat and nice.

3. Open the reservior cap

4. Remove diaphragm (be careful not to spill brake fluid)

5. Activate your brakes by pumping the lever

6. Continue to do that until it feels firm and tight again.

7. Top up your reservoir with brake fluid.

8. Put back diaphragm and cap.

9. All done.

Good luck.

↡ Advertisement