Tricks of the car trade to get more ppl to 'own' cars

Darthrevan

28953434e.jpg

A visitor checking out a car at the Volkswagen Centre showroom on 23 Dec 2012. In a bid to rev up business squeezed by loan curbs introduced six months ago, motor firms are starting to roll out no-frills car leasing plans which require lower monthly payments.

In a bid to rev up business squeezed by loan curbs introduced six months ago, motor firms are starting to roll out no-frills car leasing plans which require lower monthly payments.

They come on the back of "traditional" leasing plans introduced as early as May to woo buyers.

But response from drivers has been lukewarm, despite advertising and marketing efforts by several firms to drum up interest.

Perhaps it is still early days, but Mr Anthony Lim, director of credit company Kenso Leasing, said: "It's the Asian mentality that... only those who can't afford to buy, lease."

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...rs-hop-20130817

↡ Advertisement

28200004e.jpg

Customers in a car showroom.

The "overtrade" is back.

The practice - in which motor firms offer substantially higher trade-in rates for used cars than market prices - was rampant in the 1990s when the Government first curbed car loans.

Now, as before, the overtrade is designed to help car buyers offset the high downpayment they have to make after new loan restrictions were introduced six months ago.

It works like this: A buyer of a new $100,000 car will have to fork out at least $40,000 for downpayment.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...yments-20130817

I wonder what is LTA/MAS gonna do abt this issue?

Most prob will [lipsrsealed] til things get out of hand... AGAIN.

Then will roll out CM3... Follow by CM4... CM5???

Bloody jokers!!! [whip]

Juz ban dealers from bidding on buyers behalf and we will

definitely see a significant drop in COE!

The question is... Are they willing to earn lesser money???

I leave it for all to comment...

Bloody jokers!!! [whip]

Gharmen WANT COE to shoot up sky high.

Ty only come in with measures when too many pple complain near election time.

Otherwise ty fark care u die or not. [bigcry]

COE = "Free" income for the Gharmen mah and I don't think anyone would argue with that.

The truth hurts. [bigcry]

COE = "Free" income for the Gharmen mah and I don't think anyone would argue with that.

The truth hurts. [bigcry]

Yes n now gharmen wan as much money as possible cos ty promising to give hand-outs to old folks n lower income summore.

The money has to come from us what. Then u think gharmen going to give away their own money? Dream on my fren. Dream on. [:(]

Neutral Newbie

Got car/cars meaning, u got earning and can spend. So why wait, chop in first, u die your prob. I collect money first. Our family used to have gst rebate bonus every year. This year, the government becomes Robin Hood. They robbed those middle and upper class Singaporean n double the payout to the lower mid class. They aren't giving out from their pocket. It's like a parent taking decision from those elder sister n brother, taking their deserve pocket money n double the younger children pocket money leaving us with nothin. Aren't we the children of our parent. We don't need to go recess. Or the food is cheaper or free now? Of course, those rec'ing are happy n supportive, I bet those earning above 24k(inclusive13th month pay also part of your salary) is not going to b happy. We pay our due taxes. Since our pm mr lee SL had been in seat for more den 10 years, had anyone feel sg is running better or worse? Come 2016, my vote will try to make the difference.

Edited by Coolbeng

Agreed! They tend to get things done only during the election year!

Eg. Cash incentive... Lift upgrading...

Most prob we might get to see some measures only in end 2015- early 2016... <_<

Bo Bian... Singaporean all too forgetful liao...

Things to our disadvantage, they implement immediately after GE...

Things to our advantage, they implement JUST BEFORE GE...

Agreed! They tend to get things done only during the election year!

Eg. Cash incentive... Lift upgrading...

Most prob we might get to see some measures only in end 2015- early 2016... <_<

Bo Bian... Singaporean all too forgetful liao...

Things to our disadvantage, they implement immediately after GE...

Things to our advantage, they implement JUST BEFORE GE...

Ty know most pple hv short memory.

Give u too early by the time election u already forgot n wil ask fr more b4 election so ty give u all the bad stuff just after election so u wud hv forgotten by time next election n give u the good stuff just b4 election so u can still remember when u mark yr "X".

But if COE can crash around 2015-2016, just nice cos I need to change car about that time. Hahaha [laugh]

Give u too early by the time election u already forgot n wil ask fr more b4 election so ty give u all the bad stuff just after election so u wud hv forgotten by time next election n give u the good stuff just b4 election so u can still remember when u mark yr "X".

But if COE can crash around 2015-2016, just nice cos I need to change car about that time. Hahaha [laugh]

I admit I am one of those with short memory...

Tats why Nicole serves as a reminder!!!!

I admit I am one of those with short memory...

Tats why Nicole serves as a reminder!!!!

We all still waiting fr a more sexciting pic of her leh. [rolleyes]

Bloody jokers!!! [whip]

I dont think it has to do with earning/making more money since the money goes to the Reserves and are used for nation-building and other initiatives.

They know that money is a universal way of allocating scarce resources, luxury or otherwise.

if one has no car, he/she may choose jobs near bus stops/train stations. Vehicles allow one to take jobs that some shun for that reason. I would think twice regarding my current job if I dont have a car, or cannot afford one.

I am all for closed bidding and pay as you bid - i dont care whether a car is $10k more expensive compared to another one month later - the bidder (AD/car purchaser) chose to do that and will have to suffer some loss. The converse is true.

2015-16? Nice. Thats when we have plenty of property chasing for rentals and sales. Add a GEC and things would be more affordable, from housing to cars.