Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

Government wants to pretty much kill off Diesel vehicles in the next 10 to 20 years because new studies have shown that it is still polluting the environment.

I would suggest going EV or hybrid for the next car

For EV and hybrid cars to flourish here, the manufacturers needs to speed up their technologies in terms of costs and efficiencies.

Infrastructure like charging stations needs to speed up, in which the govt is lagging now.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

the big hitter will be the resale value of diesel cars.... especially when govt intention is already strong...  hope govt compensate owners who are swapping diesel for hybrid

• Praise 2

Current diesel owners can pat themselves on the back. As shown in the calculations, it's still worthwhile even though diesel tax has gone up to 0.20/L.

But aspiring diesel owners better think twice.

• Praise 4

Re-visiting my previous table on diesel vs petrol savings.

Since excise duty gone up to $0.20c, diesel will cost $1.81 as per the above figures and as such 15k mileage will cost $2,172 instead of $2,052, an increase of $120 annually. Other figures remain unchanged as the diesel tax calculated above was inclusive of the $100 rebate, only difference is that its now permanent vs temporary previously.

So diesel still saves $733-$120=$613 annually for a 1.5l car based on 15k mileage. Diesel will save more for even higher mileage.

So posting this before the diesel naysayers come in n start blowing “the death of diesel” trumpet

• Praise 4

actually u not being very truthful.

i just pump diesel at $1.25 per liter after all discount.

savings, FC, torque still song song gao jurong.

i cant wait until diesel tax go up till $1 per liter, then not only diesel will breakeven with petrol cost, but probably 1 bowl of wanton noodle will cost $5 instead of $3. [smash][smash]

Mai picha we all diesel people Lobang hor :grin:
  • Praise 2

technically speaking..........your car FC is irrelevant.......because it is parked 300 days a year to chope your parking lot. :D

but my FC is 12.7 km/l leh hahahahaha

• Praise 3

Diesel cars will become obsolete by itself when the worldwide market shrinks naturally due to dieselgate repercussion in the EU and electrification of vehicles, the SG government does not need to push it too hard. Just a matter of time until it become economically not viable for manufacturers to make diesel options for passenger vehicles. Volvo has already set a target to stop diesel soon, and the new S60 has no diesel option anymore.

I will just enjoy it while it lasts, and think about my options in the future....  :D 

• Praise 3

OK, since everybody recap and retrace after the budget. Me too lor

My previous car Kia Carens 2L NA pay a roadtax of 1210 PER year.

My current Kia Carens 1.7L pay 1418 PER year lor. Before rebate 100 again.

I only pay about $200 more lor.  This is my math lor

2L need 3000L of petrol EVERY year or 60L per week (480km)

1.7L need 1500L of diesel EVERY year or 60L per 2 week (900~950km)

And the best kept secret is still a secret ....... heeeeee...

This is how I count roadtax.  I really cannot understand a 1.5L Diesel Turbo compare with 1.5L Petrol and the Difference is X dollar. Somemore a dual clutch dry GB lor

Dry Clutch OK one as long as you don't drive too rough, every thing is OK one.  Like me I drive constant speed every morning one .....only 110km/h.

Then, what to chng ?? ...... Turbo have, intercooler have, anti roll have, all disc brake have, VSC have, speed control have, dual climate control have, every got RAIN sensor wor, atas keyless have, UWB sensor have, DRL have, android ladio have, dynamic guideline have. selective steering grade have. The car WONT even lock when the key is INSIDE the car wor.   I love it !! ....... EOL liao ...... haha.

I confirmed it is not mediocre saving lor,  It is the car and the saving.

Anyway, EV also very good one, my company recently installed a charging station, got 1 BMW i3 or something. Morning I come charging, lunch time charging, evening go home charging, it is so good and my company provide FREE charge...... awesome.

BTW hor, my diesel is STILL VES B hor, not C1 or C2 hor.  Compare NOx la, CO la, P la, CO2 laa ...... B hor.

BTW again NEA still say NO is ZERO hor ....... TOTALLY no NO detected in North South East West of SG. EVERYDAY lor

I drive a diesel and I don't encourage people to buy diesel car.  Anyway, diesel car offering is getting less.

As long as diesel car population remain low, then garment probably won't take drastic action.  If 30% of the car population is diesel, then it is a different story. Last year, they even give us a small incentive $100.

When I drive my 2L MPV, I need 60L petrol every week lor, so about 3000L a year.

Now I drive 1.7L diesel, I need 60L diesel every 2 week lor, so about 1500L a year lor.

As for emission, we are currently on par and generally it is VES B, at least for my car.

As for the Kia Carens, I was told Kia just EOL it loh, it is now a collectors' item ....... haha.

GC4, 5008 stop diesel model as I doubt they can get VES B, as UK LTA has shown. I wrote something about it.

So, please don't buy diesel and there is not much offering anyway.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

but my FC is 12.7 km/l leh hahahahaha

Don’t haolian lah

Drive on roads when there are no cars around sure 12km/l

Yes admittedly itâs true that diesel savings were better previously compared to today esp if u use a lot but even for those as low as 15k as shown in my table but to paint doomsday proportions as posted by naysayers is exaggerating to say the least.

That said, I would be lying to insist that itâs still great to own a diesel as the fuel cost advantage it used to have is slowly eroding but still an advantage n even if it costs the same, the better FC n torque at low RPMs is good esp for our local traffic conditions. Purpose of the post was to highlight factual nos. and not for self consolation.

U are very nice to present numbers and facts

Unfortunately not everyone are convinced by logic

They need to have a reset

• Praise 2

Donât haolian lah

Drive on roads when there are no cars around sure 12km/l

U are very nice to present numbers and facts

Unfortunately not everyone are convinced by logic

They need to have a reset ðð

Not all hv button like @angcheek la

Saw this quote for a Merc hybrid ... the cost of hybrid or EV battery is quite scary.

This should the e300e sold in 2015 in malaysia.

4yrs battery warranty.

Buyers were told a battery cost 40k rm then.

But lately its selling at 120k rm for the battery.

Resale value of e300e drop overnite. Big news in malaysia.

A 4yra old e300e sells at 130k rm now.

• Praise 1

The govt message is: bye bye diesel.

They are just being nice to cushion the impact for the existing diesel population. If you guys remember CNG, that could be diesel in another 6-8 years. Rising diesel prices + VES tax will kill off most of it.

EVs will unlikely become mainstream here unless someone is willing to invest heavily into an island wide charging infra. Even then, it would be impractical to have a charging point at every carpark lot. Otherwise everyone will have to wait their turn to charge their vehicle. Induction charging is still a long way off as well. If you live in a landed property, an EV will probably still make some sense but for the majority, fossil fuel powered vehicles are here to stay for the foreseeable future. Battery disposal is another huge environmental issue that is still yet to be resolved as well.

• Praise 2

The govt message is: bye bye diesel.

They are just being nice to cushion the impact for the existing diesel population. If you guys remember CNG, that could be diesel in another 6-8 years. Rising diesel prices + VES tax will kill off most of it.

In my opinion, it’s not so easy to kill off diesel cos unlike CNG; almost all commercial vehicles use diesel since there is no viable alternative. Yes they will make diesel costs higher esp for private cars but they are unlikely to kill it off as the knock on effects of making it expensive/killing it off would be higher costs for the man in the street esp for markets, hawker centres, toiletries, groceries etc n thus the already high cost of living will go up even higher, a political suicide if ever there was one.
  • Praise 5

In my opinion, it’s not so easy to kill off diesel cos unlike CNG; almost all commercial vehicles use diesel since there is no viable alternative. Yes they will make diesel costs higher esp for private cars but they are unlikely to kill it off as the knock on effects of making it expensive/killing it off would be higher costs for the man in the street esp for markets, hawker centres, toiletries, groceries etc n thus the already high cost of living will go up even higher, a political suicide if ever there was one.

Not to mention diesel is available in all current petrol kiosks islandwide and have been for decades.

CNG infrastructure just started back then with a few refilling stations and quickly died off after a few years. 

• Praise 1

In my opinion, itâs not so easy to kill off diesel cos unlike CNG; almost all commercial vehicles use diesel since there is no viable alternative. Yes they will make diesel costs higher esp for private cars but they are unlikely to kill it off as the knock on effects of making it expensive/killing it off would be higher costs for the man in the street esp for markets, hawker centres, toiletries, groceries etc n thus the already high cost of living will go up even higher, a political suicide if ever there was one.

Sorry, I meant diesel passenger cars. The commercial side is likely to stay on.
↡ Advertisement