Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

Sorry, I meant diesel passenger cars. The commercial side is likely to stay on.

I guess it will be modeled after Japan, where almost all cars and light goods are petrol and hybrids or electric. Only the buses and big trucks are diesel.

You don’t see smog in Japan unlike Europe which adopted diesel for cars. But then why bother in the end if Malaysia and Indonesia doesn’t give a hoot. How much is our 1M total vehicle population going to make any difference. Yes I know every country must do their part blah blah. But it hurt my pockets.

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I guess it will be modeled after Japan, where almost all cars and light goods are petrol and hybrids or electric. Only the buses and big trucks are diesel.

You donât see smog in Japan unlike Europe which adopted diesel for cars. But then why bother in the end if Malaysia and Indonesia doesnât give a hoot. How much is our 1M total vehicle population going to make any difference. Yes I know every country must do their part blah blah. But it hurt my pockets.

Actually our neighbour malaysia suport hybrid and electic cars one.

Where else why their x5 plug in is cheaper than their petrol head by 150k.

X5 plug in ard 370k rm. Petrol 500k plus.

In my opinion, it’s not so easy to kill off diesel cos unlike CNG; almost all commercial vehicles use diesel since there is no viable alternative. Yes they will make diesel costs higher esp for private cars but they are unlikely to kill it off as the knock on effects of making it expensive/killing it off would be higher costs for the man in the street esp for markets, hawker centres, toiletries, groceries etc n thus the already high cost of living will go up even higher, a political suicide if ever there was one.

I agree.

I would say there is not much point in getting a diesel engine right now cos modern turbo petrols have enough torque to move the vehicle and are responsive. Unless your vehicle is so heavy like the sorento.

But to continue driving on a 2-3 year old vehicle, is definitely not an issue. still worth it.

To me, the thing that annoys me is the diesel clatter.

Lol ...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

I agree.

I would say there is not much point in getting a diesel engine right now cos modern turbo petrols have enough torque to move the vehicle and are responsive. Unless your vehicle is so heavy like the sorento.

But to continue driving on a 2-3 year old vehicle, is definitely not an issue. still worth it.

To me, the thing that annoys me is the diesel clatter.

Lol ...

The diesel clatter is audible mostly outside so perhaps can tahan. What is more annoying is that diesel cars tend to vibrate more than petrol cars but some owners are not sensitive to this or maybe immune to it after awhile.

Whilst diesel has its advantages ie torque, better FC etc, it is not as refined as petrol so I suppose it’s what your personal preferences are. In my case, when I bought the 216 GT, there was no petrol n I felt even if there was one, the diesel would be the better choice for a 1.5l engine pulling such a heavy car.

• Praise 7

Diesel will still remain relevant especially for SUVs or vehicles with high kerb weight and those who do lots of miles since fuel efficiency and torque still betters even the most modern turbo petrols. From the vehicle emissions (petrol and diesel) perspective and in our local context, it only contributes to a miniscule amount in the larger scheme of things. Nobody is going to get chronic lung diesease from breathing vehicle fumes anytime soon. Mazda is supposed to be releasing a petrol engine that works like a diesel where thermal efficiency is as high as 40% and that is supposed to be the holy grail for petrol engines for now. Whatever the case, the gahment can choose to move the goal posts as and when they like under the facade of environmental friendliness.

Edited by Fuzzylogic
  • Praise 1

Diesel will still remain relevant especially for SUVs or vehicles with high kerb weight and those who do lots of miles since fuel efficiency and torque still betters even the most modern turbo petrols. From the vehicle emissions (petrol or diesel) perspective and in our local context, it only contributes to a miniscule amount in the larger scheme of things. Mazda is supposed to be releasing a petrol engine that works like a diesel where thermal efficiency is as high as 40% and that is supposed to be the holy grail for petrol engines for now.

I’m skeptical of Mazda’s claims. They are just a small manufacturer. The engineering might of toyota Nissan and Honda are many times theirs but yet nothing has come out from them or any other much bigger global car manufacturers.

Even if Mazda managed to do so, I highly doubt the engines will be reliable. The touted side ported rotary of rx8 will self destruct every 100k km or less. Mazda is good mainly for chassis work, engine wise I doubt so.

Even as the gap between diesel and petrol price narrows, I am sure there will still be folks who will continue to be interested in diesel vehicles for various reasons.

For me, I have always been a supporter for diesel SUV and no less for the new BMW G05 X5 M50d - just listen to the exhaust note :wub:. Alas, was told that PML will not be bringing in diesel models unless special indent.

Even as the gap between diesel and petrol price narrows, I am sure there will still be folks who will continue to be interested in diesel vehicles for various reasons.

For me, I have always been a supporter for diesel SUV and no less for the new BMW G05 X5 M50d - just listen to the exhaust note :wub:. Alas, was told that PML will not be bringing in diesel models unless special indent.

Just saw an X6 m50d on the road and it pulls like a train. Alpina still has diesels in its line up.
  • Praise 1

Diesel cars will become obsolete by itself when the worldwide market shrinks naturally due to dieselgate repercussion in the EU and electrification of vehicles, the SG government does not need to push it too hard. Just a matter of time until it become economically not viable for manufacturers to make diesel options for passenger vehicles. Volvo has already set a target to stop diesel soon, and the new S60 has no diesel option anymore.

I will just enjoy it while it lasts, and think about my options in the future.... :D

• Praise 1

Even my 1.5l BMW 216d has a torque of 270nm which is one of the highest in its class. Yes the torque is the thing that makes driving diesel a pleasure as u can take off from standstill, change lanes n overtake with confidence. It’s the slight vibration (only felt by the sensitive people like me) which is more of an issue rather than the diesel clatter.

For the 2 series, it's quite obvious though not severe. My friend's 2 series AT 10,000km on odometer, i also can feel.

Maybe cos u drive your own vehicle all the time, so u feel it less. I also don't take other people's car often except cabs. Singapore cabs are just vibrating and vibrating. U go take the same korean cabs in seoul (LPG), don't feel the vibrations.

But everytime i go thailand, i'm amazed their years old hard used taxis like innova, altis (G11) has zero vibrations/engine noise on idle in traffic jams. 

U could be sitting in a premium vehicle and won't know the difference. Well maybe the jams in thailand are longer, so u have to just sit there and wait and stone...

Edited by Lala81

2 hours ago, Gsmsimmax3 said:

Is it sane to buy a W213 E220D vs a E200 in today sg market ?
I prefer the diesel for the price ,economy and torque.
I am wary of changes with regard to govenment policy toward diesel.

If buy the E200 ,might as well wait for the forthcoming facelifted model ?
What will you buy ?

Earlier this year, I seriously considered and almost bought a german diesel car.

But in the end i did not, because of these three words: diesel particulate filter.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Gsmsimmax3 said:

What will you buy ?

Only the daimler warehouse will carry parts for the Diesel engine. Unlikely you will find the local stockist holding the parts. Then it can be a 2-3working day wait for the parts if you are lucky that the local daimler warehouse will have stock. Else it will be shipped from Germany and that will take sometime. 
driving a rarer car will have to deal with lack of parts support. 

27 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Only the daimler warehouse will carry parts for the Diesel engine. Unlikely you will find the local stockist holding the parts. Then it can be a 2-3working day wait for the parts if you are lucky that the local daimler warehouse will have stock. Else it will be shipped from Germany and that will take sometime. 
driving a rarer car will have to deal with lack of parts support. 

There are still Merc E220D diesel cabs running around. I think stockists will carry most of the spare parts.

3 hours ago, Gsmsimmax3 said:

What will you buy ?

There is a certain breakeven point btw increase in road tax and saving from fuel cost.

Pointless if you can't hit the breakeven point.

Diesel is good for long distance price & not city driving.

If daily driving distance is less than 1hr per direction, might need to drive aimless every fortnight to regen DPF.

• Praise 2

I am considered a low mileage user, i chose the diesel version because i prefer the driving feel, in SG.

its only when im at NSHW ill prefer a petrol but per yr only that few times i'll be travelling in Msia.

so ultimately ill still take diesel in SG for the driving feel(Torque) . Mileage only average 12k or so per yr.

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Dannnn said:

I am considered a low mileage user, i chose the diesel version because i prefer the driving feel, in SG.

its only when im at NSHW ill prefer a petrol but per yr only that few times i'll be travelling in Msia.

so ultimately ill still take diesel in SG for the driving feel(Torque) . Mileage only average 12k or so per yr.

Wait till you drive twin turbo diesel with 500nm torque.

You might not want to drive petrol on NSHW.

Nowadays, turbo petrol has similar torque feel in the city.

12k km might not enough to breakeven the additional road tax 

Edited by inlinesix
↡ Advertisement