Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

there are always urban, extra urban and combined stats on FC...which one should be more appropriate for sg traffic conditions?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

there are always urban, extra urban and combined stats on FC...which one should be more appropriate for sg traffic conditions?

Of course URBAN for the real figure. Most of the e-way also don't qualify as real e-way speed on most days.

If your car has a onboard computer, you'll notice per tank, the average speed you clock is nowhere near 30km/hr; most of the time hovering around 25 km/hr.

That's how fast you travel on our roads with speed postings of between 50 - 90 km/hr. The hard truth.

Edited by Kangadrool

Dont think the mileage that good anyway, my brother is driving a XF 2.2D, I can only get 8.5litre/100km, 70% city driving. Paper states 5+litre/100km.

Good le normal jaguar easily 6-7km/l

Hi,

Would like to know how many will consider buying a EuroIV diesel car instead of the normal petrol car?

The first consideration is of coz diesel car gives better mileage and maybe cheaper daily running cost.

While car uses petrol is kind of rather standard on the cost of daily running.

Your comments and thoughts plzzzzz... :D

Those intend to buy a diesel car u better think many times.

Now it looks like diesel wins the day cos the diesel sold at pumps r damm cheap cos there is no duty but if diesel becomes popular, how long u think the gharmen wil allow these cars to get away using cheap tax-free diesel?

Very soon u wil find that diesel wil cost even more than petrol(Same as in europe) then u wil b back at sq one or maybe even worse cos it wil b even more expensive to run a diesel car here.

Just look at CNG last time. So many hopes. So many dreams. Now all gone. CNG is dead in Spore. [dead][angel]

I just got a diesel car. Honestly the fuel is damm cheap after all discount compared to petrol

If u drive at least 9000km per year the extra tax already covered by the fuel savings

Considering the fact that diesel are cleaner, with extra CEVS rebate, its a good buy for me (mine 10k cheaper than petrol version) got at S60 D2 at $146k

Dun b too happy about yr cheap diesel hor. U better enjoy it while u can. [:(]

Very soon u wil find diesel costs more than petrol in SG like in most other countries where petrol n diesel r treated equal. [bigcry]

Cng can be removed from the car without much hassle right? Compare to changing a diesel engine to a petrol one. (talking about the rule and regulations of LTA)

I talked to a fren who has a CNG car.

It seems it wil cost too much to remove n u need to pay back some rebates to govt summore.

Not worth to remove so he just leave it there. The main disadvantage is the additional weight he has to carry around which means worse fuel consumption plus the space the huge tank in the boot takes up.

I think diesel wil b the same. At first gharmen wil make it look very attractive then when ty feel the time is right, ty wil whack all sorts of taxes here n there till u cannot tahan anymore but what to do? U already bought yr diesel car n the re-sale wil b horrible cos nobody wil want a diesel anymore. [bigcry]

Edited by Pisces69

At first gharmen wil make it look very attractive then when ty feel the time is right, ty wil whack all sorts of taxes here n there till u cannot tahan anymore but what to do? U already bought yr diesel car n the re-sale wil b horrible cos nobody wil want a diesel anymore. [bigcry]

ah yes, no one will buy resale diesel, so resale price will be very very low, only choice use till scrap

ah yes, no one will buy resale diesel, so resale price will be very very low, only choice use till scrap

Or scrap early to get back what u can n the dealer wil make a bundle exporting an almost brand new car overseas like what happened to those high COE cars last time when the COE dropped.

Now it looks like diesel wins the day cos the diesel sold at pumps r damm cheap cos there is no duty but if diesel becomes popular, how long u think the gharmen wil allow these cars to get away using cheap tax-free diesel?

Very soon u wil find that diesel wil cost even more than petrol(Same as in europe) then u wil b back at sq one or maybe even worse cos it wil b even more expensive to run a diesel car here.

Just look at CNG last time. So many hopes. So many dreams. Now all gone. CNG is dead in Spore. [dead][angel]

No la bro, there's already a special tax annually to make up for their lost in tax.

Anyway, let's wait and see.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Don't think so cause that will affect most commercial vehicle. Unless there's rebates for companies. Or else, don't really think they will increase pump price drastically.

The problem of small timer/self employ owning commerical vehicle is already happening due to high COE. My friendly piece-meal house repair friend had to wind up his one-man company due to high COE and now is back to square one working for a large building contrator. My plumber and fishmonger friend at the wet market, both will have to also wind up their business in abou two years time if the COE don't move south. Very sad for small time self employ hard working men in thier late 40's .

Good le normal jaguar easily 6-7km/l

Yeah, but 8.5litres is very light footed already. If drive normally only about 9litres. Drive harder lagi worst.

Anyway after driving the diesel, I still think petrol better, pros for diesel is probably the carbon emission, then again, carbon emission is likely to be under declared very much like the fc. I'm quite the environmentalist, so I'm not talking about cevs rebates.

The diesel sound also quite irritating from outside. Good thing is diesel can rebate more if you own a company, can write off as commercial vehicle consumption.

Hi mate,

Better check with Bros here...

heard Msia have a tight control on foreign cars pumping diesel...

their diesel is heavily subsidies and only allow local plate to pump...

recent news is alot of Msia lorries went to the pump fill up their tanks and re-sold to foreign lorries for a profit....

better think twice when pumping diesel in boleh land....

Actually, for a diesel car, you are taxed more (about twice as much) as compared to comparable petrol cars.

So it's better FC + cheaper diesel price VS cheaper road tax.

And as pointed out by some bros here, who knows what will happen in the future (e.g. gharmen increasing the diesel prices at the pumps), so let's enjoy the good times while we can...

No la bro, there's already a special tax annually to make up for their lost in tax.

Anyway, let's wait and see.

Now gharmen is under pressure to remove the extra R.Tax on diesel cars so ty gonna get back double the money some other way. [laugh]

I see other countries diesel more ex than petrol even due to diesel tax. U think our gharmen so kind to let us off so easy.

Maybe after many pple switch to diesel cars the gharmen wil make diesel cost double the price of petrol.

CNG was killed so easily n now so many cursing n regret getting CNG cars.

Here I rather wait fr some time n let all the dust settle b4 I decide to get something different. [rolleyes]

Don't think so cause that will affect most commercial vehicle. Unless there's rebates for companies. Or else, don't really think they will increase pump price drastically.

Now taxis n many goods vehicles can buy diesel from those non-petrol station pumps.

Gharmen just tax diesel sold at petrol stations n restrict those other pumps to taxis n goods vehicles. Prob they wil hv a lower tax from diesel sold at petrol stations.

Its not difficult to implement something so diesel cars have to pay a much higher price fr diesel or just give a rebate on R.Tax to taxis, buses n goods vehicles.

There r many ways to do it.

In europe diesel is taxed just like petrol n everybody has to pay. Thats why many buses, taxis n goods vehicles r switching to LPG as an alternative.

When CNG came out here who thought it wud hv been killed off so easily n quickly. [bigcry]

Hi mate,

Better check with Bros here...

heard Msia have a tight control on foreign cars pumping diesel...

their diesel is heavily subsidies and only allow local plate to pump...

recent news is alot of Msia lorries went to the pump fill up their tanks and re-sold to foreign lorries for a profit....

better think twice when pumping diesel in boleh land....

Now I think all petrol stations within 50KM radius from Thai n SG border only allow foreign vehicles to pump 20lit at 1 go.

That day I was at my regular esso in JB when a SG truck tried to pump more but the cashier was very strict n said NO!!!.

Actually, for a diesel car, you are taxed more (about twice as much) as compared to comparable petrol cars.

So it's better FC + cheaper diesel price VS cheaper road tax.

And as pointed out by some bros here, who knows what will happen in the future (e.g. gharmen increasing the diesel prices at the pumps), so let's enjoy the good times while we can...

Ya enjoy while u can.

U can see the gharmen is already in the process of reducing the R tax of diesel cars so that can only mean ty going to recover this revenue some other way. Likely ty going to hv a diesel tax just like petrol.

The only ???? is how much. Im sure ty wil not want to collect less revenue so prob its going to b quite a high tax to make sure ty dun lose money. [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement