Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

Hmmm, even though the R tax is now doubled of a typical petrol car, let us not forget that it is still double. e.g. for someone who used to pay $600-$700 per year for R tax for a typical petrol car, this same person (if he buys a diesel car) will have to fork out twice as much ($1200 - $1400). That is still quite a lot of R tax for the gharmen (assuming that everyone hops onto the diesel bandwagon).

P.S: I am sure that they can collect much more revenue from other means (hint: it's a piece of paper called COE). [laugh]

Thats why our gharmen is under a lot of pressure to encourage diesel cars here but ty dun want to lose money with less taxes collected.

Now ty slowly experiment with slowly lowering R.Tax on diesel cars but ty need to find a way to tax diesel at the pumps. Otherwise ty going to lose a lot of money n we all know our gharmen never ever wan to lose money. Ty only wan to make more money.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

the govt is jus saying up yours. [laugh]

those business are unproductive and they dont have place in singapore. There are the lucky ones who renew in 2009, else many uplorry. actually, the commercial coe supposed to drop this year according to my calculations, but somehow it just stays in the clouds.

which i keep emphasize that since that cat a = b= c = e are all at the or roughly the same price levels, its pointless have so many cats

The problem of small timer/self employ owning commerical vehicle is already happening due to high COE. My friendly piece-meal house repair friend had to wind up his one-man company due to high COE and now is back to square one working for a large building contrator. My plumber and fishmonger friend at the wet market, both will have to also wind up their business in abou two years time if the COE don't move south. Very sad for small time self employ hard working men in thier late 40's .

• Praise 1

same thotz...

but i was told the EuroIV engine cant take Msia diesel...

so this is a rather turn off..

at least petrol cars, we still drive into Msia without worrying of topping up petrol....

Then what about those diesel cars sold in Malaysia? where do they refill their cars?

• Praise 1

QUOTE (Darky8888 @ Aug 20 2013, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Would like to know how many will consider buying a EuroIV diesel car instead of the normal petrol car?

The first consideration is of coz diesel car gives better mileage and maybe cheaper daily running cost.

While car uses petrol is kind of rather standard on the cost of daily running.

Your comments and thoughts plzzzzz... biggrin.gif

Those intend to buy a diesel car u better think many times.

Now it looks like diesel wins the day cos the diesel sold at pumps r damm cheap cos there is no duty but if diesel becomes popular, how long u think the gharmen wil allow these cars to get away using cheap tax-free diesel?

Very soon u wil find that diesel wil cost even more than petrol(Same as in europe) then u wil b back at sq one or maybe even worse cos it wil b even more expensive to run a diesel car here.

Just look at CNG last time. So many hopes. So many dreams. Now all gone. CNG is dead in Spore. dead.gifangel.gif

Diesel is more expensive than petrol in Europe?

Better check before you anyhow hiam. [shakehead]

QUOTE (Davidtch @ Aug 26 2013, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is very hard to have diesel tax juz like petrol. This has an impact on overall inflation rate as transport cost will increase.

Thats why ty can give rebates to taxis, bus n goods vehicles to offset the diesel tax.

All private cars wil hv to pay the full diesel tax.

In many other countries, Diesel is taxed just like petrol n end up diesel costs more than petrol.

Some examples please.

I've checked on your behalf and in most parts of Europe, diesel is cheaper than petrol (and by a significant gap for some cases too).

Where petrol is cheaper than diesel, the difference is marginal.

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

Please check for yourself what the additional levy on diesel-engines in Singapore is actually for.

QUOTE (Fcw75 @ Aug 27 2013, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Diesel is cheaper at the pumps bro?

In Singapore, it's cheaper. Most other countries, diesel is more ex than petrol.

Yet another one. Please list some examples of these "most other countries". Remember, showing a few countries does not qualifies as "most other countries".

Edited by Lightbringer
  • Praise 2

BTW, the market structure and consumer base for CNG and diesel is vastly different. Diesel is as established as petrol in terms of supporting infrastructure (such as diesel pumps) and ancillary services (workshops servicing diesel engine, R&D into diesel technology, etc). Diesel is also widely used as a commercial fuel and the trickle-down effect of any across-the-board changes to diesel prices and regulation would be far more complex and severe than new emerging technologies (such as CNG and electric vehicles).

The CNG "experiment" was a failed exercise because a)the consumer base for private CNG sales was too small and limited; b) this discouraged private investment in the necessary infrastructure and ancillary services; c) the result is a self-perpetuating spiral downwards until the inevitable happens.

Revoking CNG subsidies had limited blowback because of the limited uptake and consumer base as well. With diesel, the blowback and implications will be far more severe and there will be more entrenched interests to deal with. It is not very useful to do a direct comparison for policy and the commercial market for CNG and diesel as such.

• Praise 1

Some examples please.

I've checked on your behalf and in most parts of Europe, diesel is cheaper than petrol (and by a significant gap for some cases too).

Please check for yourself what the additional levy on diesel-engines in Singapore is actually for.

Yet another one. Please list some examples of these "most other countries". Remember, showing a few countries does not qualifies as "most other countries".

Currently, petrol is taxed at 40 cents per liter. If the same tax is levy on diesel pump price, would it increase inflation rate?

Currently, petrol is taxed at 40 cents per liter. If the same tax is levy on diesel pump price, would it increase inflation rate?

Govt will not impose diesel tax la. SME are already complaining about how high COE are affecting their operations and I don't see it coming down anytime soon. To impose diesel tax at this time is a double blow to SMEs.

Anyway, the special tax is to make up for the loss in diesel tax.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Those worrying about pumping Malaysia diessel will void warranty think too much... Even if pump 100% jb diessel and have problem.. go back to dealer during warranty... Die die dont say, doubt they can prove anything.

Some examples please.

From the website, Diesel in UK, Switzerland n Sweden is more ex than petrol. UK is the main market.

Others have petrol n diesel abt the same but many stations hv promotions on their petrol like discounts etc.

This is based on the website u provided.

Govt will not impose diesel tax la. SME are already complaining about how high COE are affecting their operations and I don't see it coming down anytime soon. To impose diesel tax at this time is a double blow to SMEs.

Anyway, the special tax is to make up for the loss in diesel tax.

Gharmen wil impose any tax as n when ty choose to. Look at COEs. It has shot up sky high but gharmen is dragging their feet to bring it down. It all started when ty reduced the amt of COEs coming on the market when COE prices were low. Gharmen controls the supply n can manipulate the price as n when ty want, just like many things here.

Diesel tax is no different. When gharmen wan to increase their revenue, ty just come up with some figures which claim there is a need to do something, and its done.

Some examples please.

Excellent chart on European fuel cost. [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

• Praise 1

From the website, Diesel in UK, Switzerland n Sweden is more ex than petrol. UK is the main market.

Others have petrol n diesel abt the same but many stations hv promotions on their petrol like discounts etc.

This is based on the website u provided.

UK is the main market? LOL. Maybe you need to look at which are the largest economies in the Euro-zone, eh?

I'll be brutally frank. You're a frog in the well who knows nothing about what you're talking about. I spend as much as 6 months in a year in Europe and drive all over on a coy car which is diesel, and apart from Switzerland and UK, diesel is always cheaper at the pump. This is not taking into account that fuel price varies widely across Europe, i.e. petrol/diesel at motorway stations are almost always more expensive.

Again, look closely at the website I provided. Your take-aways from the information provided is pretty... illogical?

Edited by Lightbringer
  • Praise 1

Gharmen wil impose any tax as n when ty choose to. Look at COEs. It has shot up sky high but gharmen is dragging their feet to bring it down. It all started when ty reduced the amt of COEs coming on the market when COE prices were low. Gharmen controls the supply n can manipulate the price as n when ty want, just like many things here.

Diesel tax is no different. When gharmen wan to increase their revenue, ty just come up with some figures which claim there is a need to do something, and its done.

As I already said, the special tax is to make up for the loss in diesel tax.

Anyways, just wait and see lor. I am sure they will not impose diesel tax few years down the road (at least not until 2016) and you say they will. Imposing the diesel tax is a double whammy to SMEs.

If some research is done, it is because the govt farked up big time when they implemented the Euro 4 standard in 2007. At that time, no dealers esp Nissan and Toyota have brought in any Euro 4 vehicles. As a result, the COEs for Cat C plummeted resulting in those commercial vehicles renewing COEs for 10 years till 2017. That is why nowadays your can see a lot of beat up lorries and vans plying the roads. These are the vehicles hoarding up the Cat C COEs, resulting in crazy prices for this category.

Quite ironic isn't it? The purpose of Euro 4 is to have cleaner air and emissions but yet those beat up lorries and vans are doing the exact opposite.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

As I already said, the special tax is to make up for the loss in diesel tax.

Anyways, just wait and see lor. I am sure they will not impose diesel tax few years down the road (at least not until 2016) and you say they will. Imposing the diesel tax is a double whammy to SMEs.

If some research is done, it is because the govt farked up big time when they implemented the Euro 4 standard in 2007. At that time, no dealers esp Nissan and Toyota have brought in any Euro 4 vehicles. As a result, the COEs for Cat C plummeted resulting in those commercial vehicles renewing COEs for 10 years till 2017. That is why nowadays your can see a lot of beat up lorries and vans plying the roads. These are the vehicles hoarding up the Cat C COEs, resulting in crazy prices for this category.

Quite ironic isn't it? The purpose of Euro 4 is to have cleaner air and emissions but yet those beat up lorries and vans are doing the exact opposite.

I dun know but when the gharmen tweaked the COEs for cars it was obvious it wud lead to more ex COE but ty still did it anyway. Maybe ty miscalculated how high COEs wd rise but it has risen to crazy levels n that also affects SME and everybody else.

There r many things the gharmen does that seems quite illogical to us but I guess ty have done their studies n hv their reasons for doing it. Most likely to increase revenue. Maybe ty miscalculated the results only.

But I stick to what I say that if the R Tax of diesel cars is reduced, there wil b some form of diesel tax at the pumps for private cars at least.

I dun know but when the gharmen tweaked the COEs for cars it was obvious it wud lead to more ex COE but ty still did it anyway. Maybe ty miscalculated how high COEs wd rise but it has risen to crazy levels n that also affects SME and everybody else.

There r many things the gharmen does that seems quite illogical to us but I guess ty have done their studies n hv their reasons for doing it. Most likely to increase revenue. Maybe ty miscalculated the results only.

But I stick to what I say that if the R Tax of diesel cars is reduced, there wil b some form of diesel tax at the pumps for private cars at least.

Alamak bro, I already said the special tax is to make up for the loss of diesel tax.

SPECIAL TAX

A Special Tax is levied on non-petrol propellant vehicles to make up for the absence of a fuel duty. The Special Tax is payable in addition to the Road Tax of the vehicle.

The quantum of the Special Tax for diesel cars takes into account the particulate matter (PM) emissions.

A petrol duty is imposed to encourage fuel conservation and discourage excessive use of vehicles that may contribute to congestion and pollution. However, there is currently no equivalent duty imposed on diesel.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Alamak bro, I already said the special tax is to make up for the loss of diesel tax.

SPECIAL TAX

A Special Tax is levied on non-petrol propellant vehicles to make up for the absence of a fuel duty. The Special Tax is payable in addition to the Road Tax of the vehicle.

The quantum of the Special Tax for diesel cars takes into account the particulate matter (PM) emissions.

A petrol duty is imposed to encourage fuel conservation and discourage excessive use of vehicles that may contribute to congestion and pollution. However, there is currently no equivalent duty imposed on diesel.

Ya but now ty r gradually reducing the special tax. So that wil mean less revenue fr gharmen which ty wil not accept. The alternative wil b to impose a diesel tax at the pumps to recover their loss.

I doubt ty wil remove the special tax n just leave it at that. [sly]

Do you need Ad blue for your diesel powered car. What is the cost like per litre and the frequency to add.

For Megane diesel, there's no Adblue needed.

For extensive driving in MY, one is advised to mix half tank of diesel in MY should the need arise (and not until tank is near empty). Upon return, run your tank to low level and top up SG diesel. Bring your car for a "long" distance drive during weekends (from Jurong <-> Changi).

This is to minimize particulates clogging up.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement