Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

Ya enjoy while u can.

U can see the gharmen is already in the process of reducing the R tax of diesel cars so that can only mean ty going to recover this revenue some other way. Likely ty going to hv a diesel tax just like petrol.

The only ???? is how much. Im sure ty wil not want to collect less revenue so prob its going to b quite a high tax to make sure ty dun lose money. [bigcry]

It is very hard to have diesel tax juz like petrol. This has an impact on overall inflation rate as transport cost will increase.

↡ Advertisement

It is very hard to have diesel tax juz like petrol. This has an impact on overall inflation rate as transport cost will increase.

Thats why ty can give rebates to taxis, bus n goods vehicles to offset the diesel tax.

All private cars wil hv to pay the full diesel tax.

In many other countries, Diesel is taxed just like petrol n end up diesel costs more than petrol.

Thats why ty can give rebates to taxis, bus n goods vehicles to offset the diesel tax.

In many other countries, Diesel is taxed just like petrol n end up diesel costs more than petrol.

Bro, do you once own a cng vehicle? Judging by your statements, it seems that you did.

Bro, do you once own a cng vehicle? Judging by your statements, it seems that you did.

No I never did. I dun want to get caught with my pants down. [blush]

I fully aware of how our gharmen do things. :ph34r:

Thats why I wil wait for some time n see how b4 I get anything new. [rolleyes]

Same with diesel cars. In the beginning ty make it look very good n then when the time is right, ty close the trap n u cannot do anything about it. [bigcry]

But fuel cost of driving diesel is lower than petrol. Diesel FC is lower than petrol.

Dont think the mileage that good anyway, my brother is driving a XF 2.2D, I can only get 8.5litre/100km, 70% city driving. Paper states 5+litre/100km.

If he drives gentlyas if he is ferrying a baby inside his car, he can get1litre= 14km.. in malaysia highway i get 1litre to 30km by driving at 90 to 100km/hour keeping to the left...overtaking is a breeze but i still kept to a slow and constant speed while talking to my family members

No I never did. I dun want to get caught with my pants down. [blush]

I fully aware of how our gharmen do things. :ph34r:

Thats why I wil wait for some time n see how b4 I get anything new. [rolleyes]

Same with diesel cars. In the beginning ty make it look very good n then when the time is right, ty close the trap n u cannot do anything about it. [bigcry]

It's not just our gahmen. The US is often praised for their progressive attitude toward such things, but at least one US state (Virginia) has recently passed a "hybrid tax". You can read about it here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2...unding/2110297/

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, a Republican, signed a new law last month that lowers the gas tax for everyone, but slaps a $64-per-year fee on hybrid and electric car owners to help make up for what those drivers aren't paying at the pump.

The amounts may be different for us, but it's really the principle of the thing.

Anyway, I have to say our SG gahmen is very farsighted. They can come up with ways to screw the populace far in advance of other gahmens cottoning on. [laugh] So I guess we'll see many others implementing ERP (I already know about the UK congestion charge, so no need to remind me) and maybe even COE down the road.

Anyway, for those who want to pump diesel, the Caltex at Stevens road give 14% discount off. Be it cash, nets, credit card.

so now is $1.67/L minus 14% off is $1.44.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Ya enjoy while u can.

U can see the gharmen is already in the process of reducing the R tax of diesel cars so that can only mean ty going to recover this revenue some other way. Likely ty going to hv a diesel tax just like petrol.

The only ???? is how much. Im sure ty wil not want to collect less revenue so prob its going to b quite a high tax to make sure ty dun lose money. [bigcry]

Hmmm, even though the R tax is now doubled of a typical petrol car, let us not forget that it is still double. e.g. for someone who used to pay $600-$700 per year for R tax for a typical petrol car, this same person (if he buys a diesel car) will have to fork out twice as much ($1200 - $1400). That is still quite a lot of R tax for the gharmen (assuming that everyone hops onto the diesel bandwagon).

P.S: I am sure that they can collect much more revenue from other means (hint: it's a piece of paper called COE). [laugh]

• Praise 1

I always ask for diesel car when renting on holidays.

Saves a lot of dosh.

But to buy diesel or petrol car ????

I think on balance if purchase another car in future it will be diesel.

Actually, whether petrol or diesel is secondary (though I had to remind the pump station uncle "yes uncle, I want to top up diesel!") if the COE levels remains at current sky high levels.

Whatever you save from petrol / diesel / cheaper R tax probably canceled out by the high COE prices.

Hmmm, even though the R tax is now doubled of a typical petrol car, let us not forget that it is still double. e.g. for someone who used to pay $600-$700 per year for R tax for a typical petrol car, this same person (if he buys a diesel car) will have to fork out twice as much ($1200 - $1400). That is still quite a lot of R tax for the gharmen (assuming that everyone hops onto the diesel bandwagon).

P.S: I am sure that they can collect much more revenue from other means (hint: it's a piece of paper called COE). [laugh]

Let's go for big cc car to illustrate the diff. BMW 535 vs 535d.

Road Tax

535: 2,360.5

535d: 3574.1 (after diesel surchange)

Based on current pump price, if owner of 535d drove for 18,300km, it will breakeven the diesel surcharge. From thereon, it will gain.

Diesel car is for high mileage ppl.

It's not just our gahmen. The US is often praised for their progressive attitude toward such things, but at least one US state (Virginia) has recently passed a "hybrid tax". You can read about it here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2...unding/2110297/

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, a Republican, signed a new law last month that lowers the gas tax for everyone, but slaps a $64-per-year fee on hybrid and electric car owners to help make up for what those drivers aren't paying at the pump.

The amounts may be different for us, but it's really the principle of the thing.

Anyway, I have to say our SG gahmen is very farsighted. They can come up with ways to screw the populace far in advance of other gahmens cottoning on. [laugh] So I guess we'll see many others implementing ERP (I already know about the UK congestion charge, so no need to remind me) and maybe even COE down the road.

Many things our gharmen implement here can suceed n we get milked till dry.

If its done in other countries, next election ty wil b voted out in a flash. Thats why some wil try but ty never around fr long. [rolleyes]

Diesel is cheaper at the pumps bro?

In europe diesel costs more cos of the tax. But still can sell cos the FC of diesel cars is much better than petrol cars.

We are now talking about diesel cars in SG right?

Sg is very different from other countries.

Here diesel was meant only fr those vehicles which need to cover high mileage for biz n public transport etc.

So gharmen impose a fixed amt as higher R.tax (but no diesel tax) to encourage these vehicles to use more to make more money fr biz n provide public transport.

But now that diesel might b used fr private cars, ty hv to find a way to tax these vehicles accordingly.

Thats why ty very cautious to allow diesel cars till ty can find a way to tax them accordingly.

↡ Advertisement