Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

U didn’t take into account that diesel cars give 25% better mileage than petrol cars (that’s on paper). In real life, I’m getting more than that and this is comparing a previous Jap 1.6l petrol car (HondaCivic FD 1.6) vs my present German 1.5l diesel MPV (BMW216GT) which is heavier as well.

Petrol Road Tax (1.5l): $686 annual

Diesel Road Tax (1.5l): $1,186 annual Diff: $500-

RON 95: $2.19 per litre

Diesel: $1.71 per litre Diff: $0.48

Based on 15k mileage at 10km/l for petrol, annual fuel cost: $3,285

Based on 15k mileage at 12.5km/l for diesel, annual fuel cost: $2,052 Diff: $1,233+

So even at 15k mileage, diesel car still saves $1,233-$500=$733 annually.

Re-visiting my previous table on diesel vs petrol savings.

Since excise duty gone up to $0.20c, diesel will cost $1.81 as per the above figures and as such 15k mileage will cost $2,172 instead of $2,052, an increase of $120 annually. Other figures remain unchanged as the diesel tax calculated above was inclusive of the $100 rebate, only difference is that its now permanent vs temporary previously.

So diesel still saves $733-$120=$613 annually for a 1.5l car based on 15k mileage. Diesel will save more for even higher mileage.

So posting this before the diesel naysayers come in n start blowing “the death of diesel” trumpet

• Praise 6

Re-visiting my previous table on diesel vs petrol savings.

Since excise duty gone up to $0.20c, diesel will cost $1.81 as per the above figures and as such 15k mileage will cost $2,172 instead of $2,052, an increase of $120 annually. Other figures remain unchanged as the diesel tax calculated above was inclusive of the $100 rebate, only difference is that its now permanent vs temporary previously.

So diesel still saves $733-$120=$613 annually for a 1.5l car based on 15k mileage. Diesel will save more for even higher mileage.

So posting this before the diesel naysayers come in n start blowing âthe death of dieselâ trumpetð

Admittedly, any increase in excise duty is nvr good news for owners but I donât see the âdeath of dieselâ yet esp as commercial vehicles still use diesel as fuel and till an alternative becomes financially viable, diesel is here to stay like it or not.

Stop consoling yourself la. For excise duty to go up twice in 3 years, the govt is signaling to all to stop buying and using diesel cars. And for the trucks to be more prudent in usage.

For sure diesel tax, will continue to go up. So more or less match petrol tax before long.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Stop consoling yourself la. For excise duty to go up twice in 3 years, the govt is signaling to all to stop buying and using diesel cars. And for the trucks to be more prudent in usage.

For sure diesel tax, will continue to go up. So more or less match petrol tax before long.

Not consoling myself but just stating facts.

Till n if it reaches doomsday proportions as predicted by naysayers like u, I’ll take it in it’s stride but till then i‘m not losing sleep over it thanks.

BTW even if it matches petrol tax, as mentioned previously; the minimum 25% (on paper whilst practically I’m getting almost 30%) better FC as compared to petrol will still give diesel an advantage even after paying extra diesel tax. Go do the sums yourself.

Looks like it’s u who needs consoling

• Praise 3

Not consoling myself but just stating facts.

Till n if it reaches doomsday proportions as predicted by naysayers like u, I’ll take it in it’s stride but till then i‘m not losing sleep over it thanks.

BTW even if it matches petrol tax, as mentioned previously; the minimum 25% (on paper whilst practically I’m getting almost 30%) better FC as compared to petrol will still give diesel an advantage even after paying extra diesel tax. Go do the sums yourself.

Looks like it’s u who needs consoling

• Praise 1

But wouldn't the additional road tax imposed on diesel cars erode any savings?

Look at my table, the additional diesel tax paid is $500 for a 1.5l diesel car

Fuel savings even if diesel costs same as petrol RON 95 say $2.20 for 15k mileage:

Petrol at 1500 litres (10km/l) = $3300 annually

Diesel at 1200 litres (12.5km/l) = $2640 annually

Fuel savings: $660 - additional tax tax of $500 = savings of $160 annually.

Higher mileage saves even more but I just took a conservative 15k annual mileage. Think most Singaporeans avg 18 to 20k annually.

• Praise 2

So there's savings form diesel afterall, but just that the amount saved is mediocre.

Am not sure if spare parts for diesel cars are more expensive than petrol cars?

• Praise 1

Look at my table, the additional diesel tax paid is $500 for a 1.5l diesel car

Fuel savings even if diesel costs same as petrol RON 95 say $2.20 for 15k mileage:

Petrol at 1500 litres (10km/l) = $3300 annually

Diesel at 1200 litres (12.5km/l) = $2640 annually

Fuel savings: $660 - additional tax tax of $500 = savings of $160 annually.

Higher mileage saves even more but I just took a conservative 15k annual mileage. Think most Singaporeans avg 18 to 20k annually.

but my FC is 12.7 km/l leh hahahahaha

So there's savings form diesel afterall, but just that the amount saved is mediocre.

Yes admittedly it’s true that diesel savings were better previously compared to today esp if u use a lot but even for those as low as 15k as shown in my table but to paint doomsday proportions as posted by naysayers is exaggerating to say the least.

That said, I would be lying to insist that it’s still great to own a diesel as the fuel cost advantage it used to have is slowly eroding but still an advantage n even if it costs the same, the better FC n torque at low RPMs is good esp for our local traffic conditions. Purpose of the post was to highlight factual nos. and not for self consolation.

• Praise 2

yea, not worth it anymore

For me, per month, it is $13 extra, for mileage of 2,000km in a 2.2L SUV weighing close to 2tonnes.

Per year it is $156. With $100 reduction in special diesel tax, the delta is $56 per year, per year!. Pretty much a non-event for me, $56 is not even enough for a meal at the restaurant. I think for a smaller cc diesel car, the $100 can even offset the entire additional excise duty with spare change.

In fact, I prefer the direction to reduce the special tax and increase the excise duty on diesel, moving towards usage-base taxation. It reduces the fixed cost of ownership. Hopefully the government will increase the excise duty every other year and reduce the special tax at the same time, just like the last 2 rounds.

Actually the numbers by Spring is the worse-case savings. I never pay $1.71 per litre of Euro5 diesel. It is in the average of $1.30 to $1.40 before the additional tax. So in general the savings is a couple of hundred $ more, on top of the savings from the higher FC. 

For higher savings, hybrid or electric is the way to go. People (like me) chose diesel for other motivations as well. The FC savings is just a bonus (at least that's how I am looking at it).

• Praise 3

Think both side are right at the argument..... just that our MIW like to give signal to pre-warn people.... when it finally hit.... cannot say CB P$P, why like that...  [rolleyes]  [laugh]

Imagine they finally ready to kill it off....

Import tax: 300%

Diesel tax: same price as Hum brand V Power or peg to average salary of top 50% of worker per hour, whichever is higher

Inspection: annually at $300, to also collect pollution tax base on distance travel. $50/1000km

ERP: $30 flat fee per gantry

but they will remove all road tax

Edited by Nlatio
  • Praise 1

Government wants to pretty much kill off Diesel vehicles in the next 10 to 20 years because new studies have shown that it is still polluting the environment.

I would suggest going EV or hybrid for the next car

• Praise 2

Government wants to pretty much kill off Diesel vehicles in the next 10 to 20 years because new studies have shown that it is still polluting the environment.

I would suggest going EV or hybrid for the next car

Saw this quote for a Merc hybrid ... the cost of hybrid or EV battery is quite scary.

post-21285-0-23018900-1550566923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Melody288
  • Praise 1

Saw this quote for a Merc hybrid ... the cost of hybrid or EV battery is quite scary.

it is in ringgit. but still....

nothing beats a toyota for hybrid tech.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1