11 biggest mistakes people make at meetings

Deckbuild

Interesting read from Xin MSN

http://lifestyle.xin.msn.com/en/worklife/c...eetings#image=1

Have you ever left a meeting feeling like everyone in that room hated you? They fell asleep halfway through your presentation, they rolled their eyes at your answers, and the boss cut you off every other time that you spoke. No matter how effectively you work outside of the meeting room, you can
↡ Advertisement

Interestingly, the list didn't mention three things that *I* consider the biggest meeting sins:

1) Letting a meeting run on for too long.

2) Conducting a meeting after hours when it's perfectly feasible to do it during hours.

3) Conducting a face-to-face meeting when it's technically feasible to do it via web conferencing.

I'm sure we've all experienced 1). If the chairman has got his head screwed on straight, he should be able to rein in over-talkers. However, sometimes, the irritating bugger dragging the meeting on is senior to the chairman, and the latter may be afraid to interrupt the former. Worst of all, the chairman may be the person directly responsible for the poor time management.

Pretty sure 2) is exceedingly common too. The most common excuse given for having outside-hours meetings is that attendees are sooooo busy during hours that the only time they can spare is outside hours. That's a load of bollocks. For one thing, noone is that busy - if they were, we wouldn't be seeing even these "busy" people take 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there to surf the web or check their personal email - which *everyone* does in the course of a normal work day. For another, if the meeting is that important, it's worth bumping something else to the next day to accommodate it. And if it isn't important enough to do that, just cancel it! Send out the proposals for consensus via email. Or group edit a web document. Whatever the alternative is, don't take away personal time that people should be using to rest/recuperate/spend with their families. I hate people who pay only lip-service to "work-life balance". As a poor compromise, people hold lunch-time meetings - this is not ideal, but at least it's better than holding them outside of hours.

As for 3), it's a crying shame that so many organisations seem to be so slow to embrace modern technology to conduct meetings efficiently off-site. But perhaps we shouldn't be too vociferous in clamouring for this, because management will then use it as an excuse to hold even more after-hours meetings after we've arrived home. [rolleyes]

Mine no5... Too quiet

And last 6 min ONI

Pundek gonna say of cos... All are dead anyway... Lol

ESP whr u are man... damn... Can talk history of Sg wan during themeetings .. The amount of 'I know more' there really amazing

Mine no5... Too quiet

And last 6 min ONI

The correct term for your "meetings" is "seances". :D

ESP whr u are ...damn... Can talk history of Sg wan n the amt of bureaucracy n all... The amount of 'I know more' there really amazing

I catch no ball. What you talking? :D

Was just reading a book about the chindits, a british special ops force that fought the japanese in burma during World War 2.

Regarding meetings, it was said that their eccentric leader, MG Orde Wingate used to bring an alarm clock to staff meetings and set it to ring after a certain time. Once the time was up, the alarm clock would ring, and he promptly declared the meeting over and left the room! [laugh]

I catch no ball. What you talking? :D

Lol... Maybe not ur dept but whn I was der I tell u meetings prepare to burn 2hrs

12: every meeting talk about the same issues....

Every meeting talk about the same issues still nevermind, but every meeting after talking on the same issues still dont have conclusion and solution! :wacko:

Turbocharged

Mine no5... Too quiet

And last 6 min ONI

Can understand why yours is "too quiet".

Your meetings are collecting dead bodies right? It would have been strange if it has been noisy

Edited by Icedbs
↡ Advertisement