07 Honda stream steering wheel self centering issues

Cannotmakeit

hi all , need some advise here on steering wheel issue.

like all other cars I've driven, the steering wheel will move itself back to center position

either after making a turn or when I released my hands from steering wheel.

I notice the steering wheel stays in the "turned" position , does not self center when I test drive(30-40km/h) a 2007 stream today.

Have not tried making U-turn though.

Mechanic told me there is nothing wrong because stream uses electronic power steering unlike hydraulics type.

Maybe its really due to EPS but I still find it very weird to handle car like this.

Any stream owners have the same issue?

Edited by Cannotmakeit
↡ Advertisement

like all other cars I've driven, the steering wheel will move itself back to center position

I notice the steering wheel stays in the "turned" position , does not self center when I test drive(30-40km/h) a 2007 stream today.

Mechanic told me there is nothing wrong because stream uses electronic power steering unlike hydraulics type.

Maybe its really due to EPS but I still find it very weird to handle car like this.

Something is wrong reject the car......

Nothing is wrong and your mech is right, you may try Jazz to confirm your doubts

Hi bro, I suppose you are referring to the wheel not self turning back to the centre after a turn with the car still moving.

My car (Latio) is using EPS too and it will self centre after a regular and U turn. I used to drive a car with the regular hydraulic power steering and no difference in the self centre mechanism.

If the car in question doesn't, there may something wrong with the car and it is best to reject it.

Twincharged

I think something wrong if the car is moving and it doesn't centre itself when you let go. My family had a 2008 Honda Stream before and it will centre itself when u let go of the steering wheel.

Get yr reliable wheel alignment mech to check the both wheel castor angle and the turning radius. If set correctly the steering wheel should be able to get straight ahead position without much effort.

nothing to do with hydraulic or electric power steering.

It is the UV (universal joint) that has seized. In case you don't know what that is, its the link between the steering wheel to the rack and pinion. Not a big job if that makes you feel any better. Chill.... [cool]

Thks for all the replies.

I went to test drive the stream again

Mechanic also let me test drive a 07 nissan selphy.(also Elect power steering)

behaviour almost the same @ 15kmh

Btw the stream is on 16inch rims. Stock is 15.

Tried u-turn it did steer back but not fully.still hav to control steering a little.

Mechanic will send car to do alignment test to confirm.

Btw i also received some feedback on honda jazz/fit

having similar behavior.

Simple problem. Do an alignment an check your toe in settings. The more toe in, the quicker your steering will center but this will affect your tires wear and the steering will be heavier when you turn.

Thks for all the replies.

I went to test drive the stream again

Mechanic also let me test drive a 07 nissan selphy.(also Elect power steering)

behaviour almost the same @ 15kmh

Btw the stream is on 16inch rims. Stock is 15.

Tried u-turn it did steer back but not fully.still hav to control steering a little.

Mechanic will send car to do alignment test to confirm.

Btw i also received some feedback on honda jazz/fit

having similar behavior.

[thumbsup]

the mentioned stream sent for alignment test/calibration came back with a report.

Chamber, caster, Toe, SAI, angle turning diff.etc . Everything done & ok.

According to the tester, he did came across quite a no. of pple asking abt this issue.

nevertheless I still find the steering heavy/stiff as compared to my old kia sedan.

I've read plenty of online forum abt the stiff steering so I guess it is not a fault.