Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

Turbocharged
(edited)

Thanks to the PRC, durian prices will not be the same anymore.

Hey guys, since durian season is between July and September, are the usual stores full of durians at this moment? Prices still expensive or gotta wait a few more weeks for it to be stable?

Recently evening I went to Balestier Road and the regular stall Combat and the adjacent stall next to temple were closed.

Only the stall further down the traffic light was open.

Mao shan wang was sold out by mid afternoon (priced at $38/kg). Only the Jin Feng available at $25/kg. No choice but to try try lah. Can't beat MSW. Pic from Hungryangmo

post-160605-0-67752400-1499097462.jpg

Edited by cashcow
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Update on my durian prowl at Balestier. Looks like the 3 stalls - Combat, Ah Soon and Lian Hua (my favourite) are operational as more supplies are coming through the causeway. LH's Roy and oldman Lam are more friendly and easy on pricing negotiations per my impression. Black thorn ($15/kg), Jin Feng ($25/kg) and King of Kings ($35/kg) are prices offered by LH and is the most competitive of the 3.

Pic below is the King of Kings (looks good). Bo lui - so have to settle for black thorn which is more yellowish and stronger flavour than JF, so not too bad.  

post-160605-0-22583000-1499265355_thumb.jpg

post-160605-0-69405500-1499265409_thumb.jpg

• Praise 7

Twincharged

wah, pricing are getting more and more expensive...

Update on my durian prowl at Balestier. Looks like the 3 stalls - Combat, Ah Soon and Lian Hua (my favourite) are operational as more supplies are coming through the causeway. LH's Roy and oldman Lam are more friendly and easy on pricing negotiations per my impression. Black thorn ($15/kg), Jin Feng ($25/kg) and King of Kings ($35/kg) are prices offered by LH and is the most competitive of the 3.

Pic below is the King of Kings (looks good). Bo lui - so have to settle for black thorn which is more yellowish and stronger flavour than JF, so not too bad.  

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

MSW at $18-$22/kg is in the past already, thanks to ah tiongs.

Now expect to be at least $30/kg and above.

Plantation owners are exporting a lot to china. But can't blame them, who doesn't want more money?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Where do you park for LH?

Seems to be unable to find any parking except along the driveway?

TIA

Turbocharged

Where do you park for LH?

Seems to be unable to find any parking except along the driveway?

TIA

Parking along Balestier Road can be tricky and hazardous. So I avoid.

I park at the Whampoa Market first turning down and drive right at the end near Balestier Road. Cross the traffic light and right in front is LH. Seats with free water packets and plastic gloves provided. Very comfy.

• Praise 2

Plantation owners are exporting a lot to china. But can't blame them, who doesn't want more money?

I heard these are just rumours to jack up prices...

The "news" started in 2011

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/2266/malaysia-durians-challenge-thai-dominance-in-china

But up till May 2017, its still in the plans

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/malaysia-plans-to-export-musang-king-durians-to-china-minister-8845116

Hypersonic

Thai durians taste like sweet potatoes. [laugh]

angmos think it's like eating vanilla ice cream in toilet (frozen durian)

• Praise 4

from someone in the industry..it's just an excuse to blame it on PRCs..the actual culprits are the plantation owners in Malaysia..don't be misled by all these..it's very easy to point fingers & put the blame on someone else

Hypersonic

from someone in the industry..it's just an excuse to blame it on PRCs..the actual culprits are the plantation owners in Malaysia..don't be misled by all these..it's very easy to point fingers & put the blame on someone else

Really bro?

But the increase is really steep.

Should just boycott MSW and let them suffer.

I can survive without durians anyway.

• Praise 1

Really bro?

please stop acting like all Singaporeans "Really meh?" "really bro?" "是吗?"

these price increase is very easy to blame it on PRCs since Singaporeans "hate" anything China/PRCs..these Malaysians exploited this & used it to their advantage

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Really bro?

Yah.

Have be waiting for the price to drop. But it maintain so high. Will not eat msw if it maintain so high.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

Yah.

Have be waiting for the price to drop. But it maintain so high. Will not eat msw if it maintain so high.

I passed by everywhere at least $30/kg for MSW.

But I say only, sometimes cannot resist the temptation...haha.

please stop acting like all Singaporeans "Really meh?" "really bro?" "æ¯å?"

these price increase is very easy to blame it on PRCs since Singaporeans "hate" anything China/PRCs..these Malaysians exploited this & used it to their advantage

Sorry but I always believe in there's no smoke without fire. So ah tiongs do play a part with their wealth, huge population and cravings for durian in pushing up durian prices.

And also I said really bro because I am doubting you. Who is your source or report?

One of it is here from CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/demand-for-malaysian-durians-in-china-may-mean-fewer-costlier-fr-8727144

Of course the planatation owners are the culprits la! Who doesn't want more money as I said. The root cause is still the ah tiongs what.

Edited by Fcw75

Hypersonic

I passed by everywhere at least $30/kg for MSW.

But I say only, sometimes cannot resist the temptation...haha.

How to eat?

One msw cost $60. Add another $20 and I can have a good hotel buffer.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

How to eat?

I eat cheaper grades like 红虾, etc just to satisfy the cravings.
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

How to eat?

Sept we drive in go plantation eat. [laugh][laugh][laugh] Edited by Tianmo
↡ Advertisement