Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

Prices coming down but still around $20/ kg. Heard prices in KL has dropped at least RM10/ kg in recent 1 week and still falling. 

Anyone knows a good vendor for tekka from pahang? 

Turbocharged
32 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Prices coming down but still around $20/ kg. Heard prices in KL has dropped at least RM10/ kg in recent 1 week and still falling. 

Anyone knows a good vendor for tekka from pahang? 

yup.

I also like Pahang tekka (more so than Pahang MSW)… but sometimes not fully ripe. Need to get fm a good farm.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
11 hours ago, Hamburger said:

MSW..... Waste my stomach. 

IMG_20200619_210507.jpg

Yesterday also bought a MSW that waste my stomach and money. Some of the portion a bit dry and other portion a bit wet. Not creamy at all. Many seeds was exposed.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Tohto said:

Yesterday also bought a MSW that waste my stomach and money. Some of the portion a bit dry and other portion a bit wet. Not creamy at all. Many seeds was exposed.

Maybe should wait for a while more as it might be the beginning of the harvest. 

• Praise 3

(edited)

20200619_202738.thumb.jpg.ffd5475e5abab309ebef5653b7dbc0ba.jpg

20200619_194623.thumb.jpg.e0061f9918a9ad8ba682e18c1850fd70.jpg

IMG-20200619-WA0025.thumb.jpg.b28615e2ae690af21607483f2ea014ad.jpg

Bot 2 boxes of MSW last night. Both very bitter and one is also extra creamy 😋😋🤤🤤.

One is 785g and the other 790g. Total $114 ($57 each). Best to call to reserve and request for them to help pack to your preference. But they can't guarantee of course.

Not related to the business or anything here. 

Take care all.

Cheers

Edited by PSP415
  • Praise 7

Supercharged
19 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Bot 2 boxes of MSW last night. Both very bitter and one is also extra creamy 😋😋🤤🤤.

One is 785g and the other 790g. Total $114 ($57 each). Best to call to reserve and request for them to help pack to your preference. But they can't guarantee of course.

Take care all.

Cheers

Works out at $72 per kg.

Or are you talking about the fruit only after husk is removed?

3 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

Works out at $72 per kg.

Or are you talking about the fruit only after husk is removed?

Yes. Only the flesh. No husk. Each box got 2 different durians as in can taste not from same durian per se.

Usually eating there in the past will cost us about -+$150 (5-6kg).

Paiseh, din really calculate cos gian for nice MSW. I actually prefer S17 but no more stocks. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

52 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Take care all.

Cheers

I have always been skeptical of buying durians online pre-packed, be it quality or price. Quality is really non-quantifiable as varies on too many levels, but weight is something else.

Recently I made a order of 18kg of MSW from traditional source and made an effort to weigh the empty shells. With shells at 11kg, the ratio of fruit vs shell came to about 40%. Think similar to Carbon82's efforts in the past?

So applying this finding, the weight of whole fruits contributing to 800g would be 2kg. At $57, it means the selling price of the whole durians is $57/2=$28.50! which is terribly expensive.

I know this is abit controversial as can always argue about the ratio of fruit vs shell but should not vary much as mine is the Pahang variety msw straight from plantation. 

Granted there is always markup but I find it too much as I would not pay $28.50/kg for even Pahang msw. Comparatively I got mine at only $16/kg.

But do not waste time asking me for contact. When collecting the durians, a complete stranger walked up to us and asked the delivery driver if can order and the driver gave him the Malaysia plantation number to call. Do not be shy when you happen to see big Malaysia lorry unloading durians in your neighborhood shops. Can really save quite abit if you able  to order upwards of 50kg on behalf of friends or relatives.

Untitled.thumb.png.af19e8d2dff23e501dd2e8797daa83ff.png

• Praise 5

4 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

I have always been skeptical of buying durians online pre-packed, be it quality or price. Quality is really non-quantifiable as varies on too many levels, but weight is something else.

Recently I made a order of 18kg of MSW from traditional source and made an effort to weigh the empty shells. With shells at 11kg, the ratio of fruit vs shell came to about 40%. Think similar to Carbon82's efforts in the past?

So applying this finding, the weight of whole fruits contributing to 800g would be 2kg. At $57, it means the selling price of the whole durians is $57/2=$28.50! which is terribly expensive.

I know this is abit controversial as can always argue about the ratio of fruit vs shell but should not vary much as mine is the Pahang variety msw straight from plantation. 

Granted there is always markup but I find it too much as I would not pay $28.50/kg for even Pahang msw. Comparatively I got mine at only $16/kg.

But do not waste time asking me for contact. When collecting the durians, a complete stranger walked up to us and asked the delivery driver if can order and the driver gave him the Malaysia plantation number to call. Do not be shy when you happen to see big Malaysia lorry unloading durians in your neighborhood shops. Can really save quite abit if you able  to order upwards of 50kg on behalf of friends or relatives.

Ya man based on yr calculation its expensive.😅

Theirs also direct from own Pahang plantation. 

Luckily taste wise is v good.

Me going to look for bitter bitter S17 next. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Ya man based on yr calculation its expensive.😅

Theirs also direct from own Pahang plantation. 

Luckily taste wise is v good.

Me going to look for bitter bitter S17 next. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Maybe should wait for a while more as it might be the beginning of the harvest. 

The side that open for me to check look ok. 

Then go back open up many seeds expose and a bit dry.

• Praise 1
  • Angry 1

Many online selling $30 per 400g ... freaking ex 🙄🙄🙄  especially during this lockdown season and msia durian price was down. 

But if u are bored to death at home ... durian can help 😄 

• Praise 3

On 7/25/2019 at 8:29 AM, Carbon82 said:

Part 2, eating the smallest one back at my place (the previous 2 were really too full for 4 of us). Again, over 20 seeds, and the meat was very thick too. Imagine getting 900g of flesh (including the small seeds) out of 2.55kg,yield is ~35.3%, the highest % I have gotten so far (typically is about 30% on average)

KopdUzh.jpg

i0U1Qbv.jpg

qnCStXD.jpg

40% yield seems on the high side. I read average yield is 25-35%.  I weighed once, came in at 33% (with seeds). Assuming average yield of of 30%, market is selling around $18-22/kg and not $29.

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

40% yield seems on the high side. I read average yield is 25-35%.  I weighed once, came in at 33% (with seeds). Assuming average yield of of 30%, market is selling around $18-22/kg and not $29.

To be exact, was 38.9%. Have to be msw for fair comparison. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1