Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

Hypersonic
12 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

I saw at least two sellers here advertise Penang durian but hv yet to try. Not sure how the durian takes to the long journey but I may try it in one or two weeks when the peak comes. Am aiming for a couple of my favourite Penang varieties [inlove]

btw i noticed some so-called "penang red prawn" is actually D175 from johor. They just want to differentiate it from D13 the "fake red prawn". This was abt one or two months ago during Johor season. Before Penang season started.

I don't believe is the real Penang durian. Especially now cross-state travel need a lot of permits. Especially this needs to cross a lot of states.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, Tohto said:

I don't believe is the real Penang durian. Especially now cross-state travel need a lot of permits. Especially this needs to cross a lot of states.

some of the advertised varieties are indeed penang types. Never seen them outside of penang before.

whether the product received is actually what is advertised is a different issue [lipsrsealed]

yes cross state need permit but generally logistics/cargo vehicles are allowed to pass. Not for personal vehicles.

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

I saw at least two sellers here advertise Penang durian but hv yet to try. Not sure how the durian takes to the long journey but I may try it in one or two weeks when the peak comes. Am aiming for a couple of my favourite Penang varieties [inlove]

btw i noticed some so-called "penang red prawn" is actually D175 from johor. They just want to differentiate it from D13 the "fake red prawn". This was abt one or two months ago during Johor season. Before Penang season started.

Penang’s red prawn is far superior to its Johor's cousin, at least the one I last tried in KL.

Yes, i plan to buy some and try. 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

everytime read this kind of oversupply news until sian liao

simi bumper harvest simi low demand... but reach sg still so expensive 

🙄

• Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Enye said:

🙄

I also say...no S$10 per kg for MSW no talk 😁

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Enye said:

🙄

It is called profiteering.  

With deep freeze, the days of cheap durian may be over? But I heard many durian plantations are going to mature in the next 2 years, so RM25/kg durians may return, just not in SG, need to drive up and eat. 

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Penang’s red prawn is far superior to its Johor's cousin, at least the one I last tried in KL.

Yes, i plan to buy some and try. 

yes I've had the real penang red prawn a few times in penang :wub:

Turbocharged
12 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

It is called profiteering.  

With deep freeze, the days of cheap durian may be over? But I heard many durian plantations are going to mature in the next 2 years, so RM25/kg durians may return, just not in SG, need to drive up and eat. 

Malaysia tends to freeze only MSW as this is the type preferred by PRC and also importantly, creamy/sticky MSW takes well to deep freezing and subsequent thawing. The "wetter" types like Penang Red Prawn don't take well to freezing/thawing.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

Deep freeze of durians really power. My bro managed to eat MSW all the way at Hawaii. His customer who deal with import gave him some. 😁

But his neighbours must be thinking ‘what the fark is that smell?!’ when he’s opening up the durians. 🤣

15DA22CF-666B-4DDC-8A60-B8F1DCC51A51.jpeg

324A3D10-4837-4511-8C10-63A1D4409247.jpeg

FED84CA2-CBCD-4899-815F-FD9B1E32A716.jpeg

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 9
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
13 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Deep freeze of durians really power. My bro managed to eat MSW all the way at Hawaii. His customer who deal with import gave him some. 😁

But his neighbours must be thinking ‘what the fark is that smell?!’ when he’s opening up the durians. 🤣

15DA22CF-666B-4DDC-8A60-B8F1DCC51A51.jpeg

324A3D10-4837-4511-8C10-63A1D4409247.jpeg

FED84CA2-CBCD-4899-815F-FD9B1E32A716.jpeg

Look like still good condition.. not sure the actual texture when eat.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic
15 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Look like still good condition.. not sure the actual texture when eat.

He said it was good.

But he has the craving for durian there since Jan 2020 so anything would have taste good. 🤣

• Haha! 3

(edited)

Still waiting to hoot.... Update ASAP durian kakis! ! 

So tempted to buy online but scare the quality lousy. Its not exactly cheap also. 

Edited by Hamburger
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic
15 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Still waiting to hoot.... Update ASAP durian kakis! ! 

So tempted to buy online but scare the quality lousy. Its not exactly cheap also. 

忍 😁

• Haha! 7

@Fcw75 haven' tried, will go this weekend, too busy with work. I have been patronizing the stall since last year, so far I'm satisfied with the msw and XO.

• Praise 4

Hypersonic
8 minutes ago, Jp66 said:

@Fcw75 haven' tried, will go this weekend, too busy with work. I have been patronizing the stall since last year, so far I'm satisfied with the msw and XO.

Thanks.

$12/kg is a very good price.

• Praise 3