Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

19 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Regular seller at Tampines got X.O. and called me.

MTL.

Not workshop name hor.....

IMG20220629180604.jpg

Looks good leh,  but the price still not very good hor.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Not feeling too well today...a bit of nausea, chilly, shiver...

I should have kept some for today and not finished up the last tub of ah lian yesterday 😂

42 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Looks good leh,  but the price still not very good hor.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

15/kg. But gian XO....hoot lah. 😘

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Mostly will provide such service if you can tahan the quene...😁

Yeah boh bian, dun want my whole car linger durian smell.... When i drive to work, my work i cannot even put perfume or colongne.

Which stall will u recommend for a quick buy and go around central region? 

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Yeah boh bian, dun want my whole car linger durian smell.... When i drive to work, my work i cannot even put perfume or colongne.

These few I think has vacuum pack service.  

Ah seng durian

99 old tree

Fruit monkey

The durian tree

Google their contact and call see if they still do it.  Vacuum pack cuts down the smell like close to 95%. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

More central I think 99 old tree or fruit monkey.  

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 3

29 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

This have to ask Tianmo or Hamburger...im still one impromptu hopper...

Wont go wrong with JW...😁

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Not feeling too well today...a bit of nausea, chilly, shiver...

I should have kept some for today and not finished up the last tub of ah lian yesterday 😂

U sure not covid? 🤣

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

back to 682 hg for durians, lazy to Q for e $10.80/kg msw, went to another stall further down e block (away fr ntuc) for RP, 6 for $50, vacuum packed. oni open 2 box, still hav 1 in e fridge. Tis rd e flesh not as thick but still creamy, sweet for most but some w a hint of bitterness.

1.thumb.png.35f02f41e04e33da41b0badaebb47166.png2.thumb.png.b62a0f88c25a36fc9198619e298298f3.png3.thumb.png.becfd6fc0706c2e4d1156f51c732e65d.png

• Praise 9

Turbocharged
12 hours ago, Tohto said:

Your last pic still look not ripe enough.. 

yup that pic taken in the morning just after buying it

much better 12hrs later 😄

i would have preferred to keep it in the shell to ripen but i don't have a big knife with me and that durian is tough to open due to the shape. Even the seller struggled to open it completely. Usually they just sell the whole fruit after cracking it for checking. He went to dig up a container from his storeroom for me. Typical Thai hospitality.

• Praise 6

19 hours ago, Ender said:

Your picking skill quite good leh.. I still don't know how to tell the RP and D13 from the outside shell..  D13 looks like thicker thorns??

Both RP and D13 can be green or brown, it depends on climateric conditions in Johor.

In Penang, RP is almost all brown shelled.

Thorns wise, D13 does have thicker and less sharp thorns...had tried tossing it like a ball.

Try this with red prawn and your next destination is the A&E.

I choose durian by inspecting the exterior for any cracks, bites by our friendly squirrels and fat worms.

IMG_20220624_213653.thumb.jpg.1b64cf911d72fca4cbcf5a7c8b165f58.jpg

(Ps: this durian was purchased by pile at BP ring rd Blk 257, I didn't post it because it wasn't an accurate reflection of how I would choose) 

Then I strike the durian (on the stem or thornless bottom) with my fingers to see if it's ripe (no sound means overripe)

Then I squeeze the bigger thorns (workable for durians with thinner shell: if shells of RP, which are thick, yield under pressure it is most likely already overripe)

Afterwards, I shake the durian (not too hard) to see whether the flesh is detached from the shell (similar to first step) (Might not work if durian is too fleshy)

Then I smell the durian (my nose isn't that good so I just smell as a cross check)

If all is good, you're good to go.

Works well for D13, partially for RP.

• Praise 11

22 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

How cum? Not bitter enough for you? 

Too annoyed to take any pix, Mai Kong Simi bitter boh bitter. Jin angry !!

Was there at 1pm and the 12/kg msw has not arrived yet. This one would be the preferred choice.   

😑

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Hamburger said:

Too annoyed to take any pix, Mai Kong Simi bitter boh bitter. Jin angry !!

Was there at 1pm and the 12/kg msw has not arrived yet. This one would be the preferred choice.   

😑

I remember their stock cums quite late around 4ish...once my wife and I had to chill out at KFC for an hour when we arrived at 3ish...😂

• Praise 2

Supersonic
23 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I remember their stock cums quite late around 4ish...once my wife and I had to chill out at KFC for an hour when we arrived at 3ish...😂

1 pm is too early for the lorries to arrive. I think the earliest would be after 4 pm. Some would arrive at night, depending on the traffic condition.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1