Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

So far my side $15-16/kg for red prawn

$12/kg for red prawn Kia (never heard of but seller say it’s lower branch red prawn)

msw pahang $25/kg. But I didn’t get as was last night stock and looks bigger than normal. 2-2.5kg. I seldom see msw so big. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Scholesy said:

So far my side $15-16/kg for red prawn

$12/kg for red prawn Kia (never heard of but seller say it’s lower branch red prawn)

msw pahang $25/kg. But I didn’t get as was last night stock and looks bigger than normal. 2-2.5kg. I seldom see msw so big. 

$25 for MSW or it is still early in the season? I thought MY, SG and CN are having recession?  Yield is bad this year?  I read in April this year supposed to be bumper crop.

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

$25 for MSW or it is still early in the season? I thought MY, SG and CN are having recession?  Yield is bad this year?  I read in April this year supposed to be bumper crop.

I thk more like early in the season. $15/kg red prawn is exp, usu it’s $8-12 per fruit.

Anyw seller say today stocks reach at 7pm. Later I wil check again.

• Praise 3

Pahang Durians yet to full harvest so those in SG likely to be from JB (Hence the odd shapes & huge sizes) or worse thai durians from unscrupulous sellers. 

• Praise 4

Another week or 2 I believe the Pahang Durians will reach SG and supply will increase & prices will come down.

Yishun Blk 291 (Corner Durian Stall beside Kopitiam) selling JB MSW now at $20/kg. D17 i think is $12/kg. Decent Quality.

• Praise 5

Hypersonic
13 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

$25/kg is overpriced.

Agreed.

That's why I am still waiting. 

Hope it can reach $16 per kg later of the month.

• Praise 5

Hypersonic
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Agreed.

That's why I am still waiting. 

Hope it can reach $16 per kg later of the month.

Me too. 

Many places are selling $20-$22.

In the meantime, I satisfy my craving today with D17, recommended by bro hamburger. Good enuff.

The regular shop I frequent told me MSW not worth to buy, even told me don’t buy. 😅 Said they threw away a lot because the quality is bad, even sent me the photo.

But I see other durian stalls selling MSW and it look good.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic
41 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Me too. 

Many places are selling $20-$22.

In the meantime, I satisfy my craving today with D17, recommended by bro hamburger. Good enuff.

The regular shop I frequent told me MSW not worth to buy, even told me don’t buy. 😅 Said they threw away a lot because the quality is bad, even sent me the photo.

But I see other durian stalls selling MSW and it look good.

The D17 is bought from which part of Tampines ? 

Hypersonic
7 minutes ago, Tohto said:

The D17 is bought from which part of Tampines ? 

824 Tampines St 81 bro.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
38 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Blk 824

Thanks. May drop by tomorrow afternoon take a look.

Msw jb $18/kg. Geylang lor21

since red prawn $15 and seller was upfront that jb msw wil b towards sweeter side and wil b small seed so went ahead. Bought 2.

turned out fine. Yes sweeter and less “flavour” “body” than old tree msw. Creaminess was 8 seeds out of 10. The other 2 didn’t get the creaminess, slight fiberous. I guess this is new tree still maturing?? But seeds were def small. Overall satisfied w the purchase. 

D83C23C9-DD07-44F4-BE09-7DC98B9F09B3.jpeg

272A909F-A04E-41C2-89EB-024316CBE82E.jpeg

C3E3E596-8B5E-4AA4-8145-335B40FC390A.jpeg

• Praise 9

Hypersonic
22 minutes ago, Scholesy said:

Msw jb $18/kg. Geylang lor21

since red prawn $15 and seller was upfront that jb msw wil b towards sweeter side and wil b small seed so went ahead. Bought 2.

turned out fine. Yes sweeter and less “flavour” “body” than old tree msw. Creaminess was 8 seeds out of 10. The other 2 didn’t get the creaminess, slight fiberous. I guess this is new tree still maturing?? But seeds were def small. Overall satisfied w the purchase. 

D83C23C9-DD07-44F4-BE09-7DC98B9F09B3.jpeg

272A909F-A04E-41C2-89EB-024316CBE82E.jpeg

C3E3E596-8B5E-4AA4-8145-335B40FC390A.jpeg

To be frank, I don't trust those durian store along Sims Ave.

• Praise 2

39 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Haha ya I haven’t been there for years. But was driving around Geylang and saw so much supply with at least 3-4 stalls that stretch. Quite a lot of pple buying too. So jus try see. 

my usual supply is my dad buy. So I know how to eat but not good at buying haha

Hypersonic
41 minutes ago, Tohto said:

I trust nobody at Geylang, always leave me disappointed. 😬

Btw, don’t just walk in to Leong at Tampines. Today went to collect the durians I booked and while waiting, I saw at least 4 people walk by and asked got durians and he told them all gone. His shelf got nothing one.

His MSW is $21/kg.

• Praise 5

Waiting to jiak durian in 2 weeks. Still holding my horses.

.....In the meantime, durian fans have some cause for cheer - better flavour and falling prices in time to come.

The durians being harvested now have improved significantly in quality compared with two weeks ago, says Mr Tan, when more than half the Mao Shan Wang that came in were rejected by vendors.

It pays to be patient as prices are expected to come down soon, when supplies increase, as the season peaks in the coming fortnight.

"We should see prices falling slightly to about $17 to $18 a kg," says Mr Tan.

Durian season gets off to thorny start 
https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/food/durian-season-gets-off-to-thorny-start?xtor=CS3-18&utm_source=STiPhone&utm_medium=share&utm_term=2020-06-07 17%3A06%3A59

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8